Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello, I'm New!

GuineaPigTeen

Cavy Slave
Hello, I'm "GuineaPigTeen!" I'm a teenage girl who loves animals and is getting a pair of guinea pigs. :) I've come here to research a bit more, although I've already done some pretty extensive research. I have the cube shelving and chloroplast to make a C&C cage, and a list of needed supplies. The only thing I need now? Guinea pigs!
I've recently found an ad for a pair of female piggies in need of adoption. My parents wanted me to wait a bit as we moved recently and it's been a little hectic, but the excitement is dying down and I feel ready to bring them home. :)
Now, I just need permission from my parents. I've not actually asked permission yet - I'm compiling information for a sort of essay to show my knowledge beforehand. I really hope they are open to the idea of getting piggies sooner than thought, but if not I can always wait a few months and get a pair then.
I just really want this pair as they are living in a small cage (hardly able to walk around, to be honest) and I feel badly about that.
I'm homeschooled, so I will have a lot more time for guinea pigs than your average teen. Also, I have had a love of animals my whole life, or so my parents say! We have cats at the moment, but they won't be in the same room as the guinea pigs.

Well, enough rambling!

-GuineaPigTeen

Missypigmama

Cavy Slave
Welcome.. I hope for your sake your parents let you get yourself some piggies.. I bet you are super exited. :)

GuineaPigTeen

Cavy Slave
Welcome.. I hope for your sake your parents let you get yourself some piggies.. I bet you are super exited. :)

Thank you! I am really excited :)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the form you will find some very welcoming members here. And all the knowladge you will ever need to know about guinea pigs. I hope they let you to having guinea pigs can be very rewarding.

Gowroo

Cavy Slave
Welcome welcome! That's so exciting you are getting your first piggies! Watch out though, once you have guineas you never go back! It sounds like you have done a ton of research and are ready to go so here is hoping your mum and dad let you!!!!

madrae

Cavy Slave
Welcome! You could also mention that one other little added plus to those piggies you are looking at is that they are already a bonded pair.

Don't get me wrong, pairs show up at rescues and Craigslist often, but it's just another little nudge for getting them now. :)

Last edited:

GuineaPigTeen

Cavy Slave
Welcome! You could also mention that one other little added plus to those piggies you are looking at is that they are already a bonded pair.

Don't get me wrong, pairs show up at rescues and Craigslist often, but it's just another little nudge for getting them now. :)

Thank you :) And true, I didn't think about mentioning that but I will for sure!

GuineaPigTeen

Cavy Slave
Thank you to everyone! I really can't wait and I hope I am able to get these piggies! You are all so welcoming and nice -- thanks again! :D

LiLiPiggies08

Cavy Slave
Good luck and welcome! It s nice to meet you and have you here on the forum!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

Just make sure if you get piggies from Craiglist, they're rescue pairs, not irresponsibly bred pairs! It's the unfortunate case that plenty of Craigslist breeders will sell you lethals, or otherwise generally ill animals. I think you can only really take on a responsibility like a sick pig if you're financially secure and have plenty of piggie experience.

It's a great idea to make a sort of essay on your research to show your parents, it really shows you're taking this seriously! :) Have you discussed the possibility of vets bills with your parents and whether you'd be able to get them the help they needed should they fall ill? It's important to make sure if you have a sick pig at any point, you can get them help. I'm sure you'll love having piggies, they're such great pets! Just don't get offended by them running away from you, a lot of first time pig owners think it's a sign of rejection, when really, they're just thinking 'eek, scary big person!'. Once they get used to your smell, the way your hands feel when you hold them etc, they'll love coming out for cuddles.

Cavies4Me

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!
Seem's like we have some things in common :)
I'm a teenage girl who is homeschooled too!
I'm building a c&c cage as well...Just waiting for my parents to take me to get the coroplast now! :D
I've got 2 boy piggies! Justin and Charlie

Cavies4Me

Cavy Slave
Oh, and of course I LOVE animals!! :D

GuineaPigTeen

Cavy Slave
Just make sure if you get piggies from Craiglist, they're rescue pairs, not irresponsibly bred pairs! It's the unfortunate case that plenty of Craigslist breeders will sell you lethals, or otherwise generally ill animals. I think you can only really take on a responsibility like a sick pig if you're financially secure and have plenty of piggie experience.

It's a great idea to make a sort of essay on your research to show your parents, it really shows you're taking this seriously! :) Have you discussed the possibility of vets bills with your parents and whether you'd be able to get them the help they needed should they fall ill? It's important to make sure if you have a sick pig at any point, you can get them help. I'm sure you'll love having piggies, they're such great pets! Just don't get offended by them running away from you, a lot of first time pig owners think it's a sign of rejection, when really, they're just thinking 'eek, scary big person!'. Once they get used to your smell, the way your hands feel when you hold them etc, they'll love coming out for cuddles.

Sadly, I won't be able to get this pair like I'd hoped. :( But I will definately use your tips in the future! The main reason I couldn't get them is because my father is very busy and he'd have to drive awhile to get the piggies. We're still busy unpacking and organizing at our new house, so he doesn't really have spare time to get them and help me with C&C cage building. Still, he promised I will eventually be able to get a pair. :D

I have discussed vet bills with my parents, yes - they'll pay for the visit, but I'll pay for any addition things such as surgery if needed. I also have to pay for everything but their pellets and hay.

Thank you so much for all your help and tips! It means a lot to me and I will be a better owner to my future guinea pigs! <3

GuineaPigTeen

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!
Seem's like we have some things in common :)
I'm a teenage girl who is homeschooled too!
I'm building a c&c cage as well...Just waiting for my parents to take me to get the coroplast now! :D
I've got 2 boy piggies! Justin and Charlie

Wow, we do have some things in common! :)

Nice to meet you!

madrae

Cavy Slave
It will happen - just keep preparing!
I honestly was not looking for pigs. I'm still not sure why I was even on Craigslist. But right in my town, I saw a sweet piggy whose brat owner wanted to get rid of her for different pets. Broke my heart and I tried so hard to get her - called 2xs, emailed. Never got any response at all! I was heartbroken.

Several weeks later I heard a story of three rescued pigs and when I saw the pictures, I knew - I just knew! - I could help. She's PERFECT!

Tricia_TD

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum :D . You sound like a responsible young lady, the way you've gone about your research. My friend home schools her two teenage sons, and they have four guinea pigs!

I know that you'll get lots of enjoyment from your piggies when you get them, and they'll have a loving cavy slave!;)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Sorry you didn't get these but don't worry there's always piggies out there waiting for the perfect home. I'm sure when the time is right you'll know their the ones. When I saw star I just knew from the moment we looked at each other.

GuineaPigTeen

Cavy Slave
Thank you all so much. :) I am still a little sad I couldn't get this pair, but I know I will find another pair in the future.

Again, thank you all! It means so much to me. <3

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Welcome. I am sure you will give some very lucky furry ones a great, loving, safe home. Craigslist is a fine place to find a healthy guinea pig. Many of my herd came from there. If you have a guinea pig rescue near you they are also a wonderful place to find a fine piggy. One of our shelters also offer guinea pigs. Look forward to hearing about your piggy's when you get them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.