PDA

View Full Version : New here looking for all kinds of piggie advice!

ajeffreys12
11-20-13, 11:10 pm
Hello my name is Alicia and I am a proud mom of 3 little boy piggies, all 3 have been rescues. My oldest is Albus he was born the beginning of June, then I have Harry who is about 6 weeks old, and finally Ron who is just a little 3 week old guy. I have adopted all 3 of the boys when they were very young. I just introduced Ron to his brothers tonight and all seemed to go well. I have a pretty good sized C&C cage and I am currently expanding to add a second story.

I was wondering if anyone one has experience with keeping 3 un-neutered males together and if so did all remain good? I don't want my boys to start fighting so any tips are great.

Also I would love advice on how to reinforce my second story on my pig house. I will attach some pics of the boys and the beginning of my house addition it doesn't have the floor or ramp yet, I would also love ramp ideas because I want to be extra sure my little guys aren't going to get hurt using it.

Harry is posted first, followed by Albus, brought up by Ron!

I look forward ward to all the info that I learn here.

Aleks
11-20-13, 11:15 pm
Can you expand out instead of adding a second level?
A 2x3 for 3 boars, who will eventually be going through puberty, isn't going to be nearly enough space even if there is a second level.
If I were in your shoes, and I had the space, I would do a 3x5 or 3x6.

arod18007
11-20-13, 11:24 pm
Love the HP themed names :)

Princess_Piggie
11-21-13, 06:05 am
Harry Potter themed names, that's so cute!
Anyway, my experience with boys is that they'll 'play fight' until they hit the guinea pig equivalent of teens. With my last boys it all began with some gentle nipping, rumblestrutting (low, long purring while they stretch themselves out and slowly wiggle their back end while walking), so I would look out for excess of those behaviors.

The more space you can give them, the better, because with three boars, it's not even a simple case of one in charge and one following the leader, there are three who all want to be boss of the cage. Plenty of free time outside the cage is a must, a MINIMUM of 30 minutes per day. Make sure your cage is packed with hidey spaces, time consuming toys/treats to challenge them mentally to keep them from fighting out of boredom. Individual food bowls and water bottles is also a good idea, it stops them from all crowding around trying to get to the food/water first and therefore prevents fights from breaking out.

Inle_Rabbit
11-21-13, 07:52 am
I have 3 boars who have been together for about a year now. If I were you and wanting to keep the peace between the 3 I would expand the cage. My three live in a 2x7 C&C cage they probably would not get along in anything much smaller than that. For 3 guinea pigs the minimum space requirement is a 2x5 C&C and for young boars it should be bigger.

Make sure that all hiding houses have 2 doors so that pigs do not get trapped inside. I found having at least 2 water bottles on either side of the cage and 3 food dishes works best for my boars. Mine seem to be able to share their one hay rack without issue but nit pick over food dishes and water bottles.

Right now your guys are for the most part babies and are probably getting along just fine the way they are but within a few months puberty will hit and they will start to bicker so it would be best to make these changes now instead of later.

ajeffreys12
11-22-13, 08:42 am
Can you expand out instead of adding a second level?
A 2x3 for 3 boars, who will eventually be going through puberty, isn't going to be nearly enough space even if there is a second level.
If I were in your shoes, and I had the space, I would do a 3x5 or 3x6.

I cant expand out that much right now due to space. I could probably so a 2x4 or a 2x5 max with only having one level. I thought a second level would be good so that if for some reason the pigs didn't get along the would be able to escape to different floors, unless of course the just CANNOT live together. Then I would separate them.

I did did only have 2 pigs and my older boar passed away and my second pig became really depressed so I wanted to have 3 in case heaven forbid something does happen to one of them I won't have just one left alone.

But it now it his my problem. My youngest guy Ron is so small he is fitting through the squares and getting loose. Any advice on that?

Aleks
11-22-13, 11:50 am
I cant expand out that much right now due to space. I could probably so a 2x4 or a 2x5 max with only having one level. I thought a second level would be good so that if for some reason the pigs didn't get along the would be able to escape to different floors, unless of course the just CANNOT live together. Then I would separate them.

I did did only have 2 pigs and my older boar passed away and my second pig became really depressed so I wanted to have 3 in case heaven forbid something does happen to one of them I won't have just one left alone.

But it now it his my problem. My youngest guy Ron is so small he is fitting through the squares and getting loose. Any advice on that?

Is there any way you could expand more by making the cage L-shaped in the corner of the room? Some people have found that doing that really helps maximize the space they have to provide a bigger cage.

As for the baby getting through the grids, it needs to be baby proofed.
You can do that by making the coroplast sides higher or by over-lapping grids as shown in this picture: http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/baby-proofing/p500-double-grid-1-2f4-openings.html