Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Cct

piggiepigs
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I'm joining up soon. I'm also taking the Rodentology course associated with the CCT as soon as I get back to UK, which could be in a few months or 2 years time. It's good with the free telephone 24 hour helpline - the main reason why I would join up, really, as the free consultations are of no us to me all this way away!

piglets

Cavy Slave
Hello, newbie to the forums here. I've been with CCT for over 5 years and have complete faith in Vedra, she's the best by far. It's about an hours drive for me, especially now that they're in the new premises further east, but well worth it, I don't intend taking my piggies back to high street vets to be misdiagnosed again, she's got me and my pigs for life now!

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I am! I live 15 mins away from the CCT, how lucky is that?? :)

bromers

Cavy Slave
Ok I thought I would bring this thread back. I was cleaning my room and I found my guinea pig book I got it the day I went and got bromley. I decided to read it and it was full of complete rubbish. Things off the top of my head.

1. Guinea pigs do not need any kind of stimulation all they need in there cage is a hidey house.

2. Pet shop cages are fine.

3. Breeding is fine and it tells you advice on how to do it.

Well by the time I got to the last page I saw the address of the cct and it said that this is a good place to basically back up what the author is saying.

Could you please give me more info on the cct please because im not sure what it is a from this book seems to be giving the wrong kind of info out.

piglets

Cavy Slave
Not sure about that info or the book it's from, but I have complete trust in CCT and wouldn't take my pigs anywhere else. They don't have their own website as yet but if you go to Peter Gurney's website or the Winking Cavy Store you'll see lots of info on the CCT.

It's basically run by Vedra, a rodentologist, who gives lectures and training courses for would-be vets or general public/members. There's an annual membership fee but then you can have worming, claw trimming, good piggie M.O.T. etc 4 times a year for free. Best of all, she's always there and available on the phone if you just need advice on what to do or help assessing whether it is an emergency and you need to bring your piggies in. It's a registered charity and I would say in NO WAY profit-orientated unlike many high street vet practices.

I was first made aware of them after I had a piggie emergency one Bank Holiday weekend: I'd taken one pig to my (then) usual vet a few weeks earlier who told me she had a brain tumour and needed to be put down immediately (a shocking mis-diagnosis, I later found out). Couple of weeks later a 2nd pig developed the exact same symptons, my normal vet was unavaiable over Bank Hol weekends so I went to a different practice who diagnosed a completely different illness, saying she had a problem with her spine and should be kept apart from the other guineas as not to make it worse. I had no confidence in this advice at all so phoned nearby Wood Green Animal Shelter in Huntingdon who informed me of CCT. It was 10pm on May Day bank hol by the time I spoke with Vedra and she told me to come straight over, examined the piggies and said it was carbon monoxide poisoning, kept them in and they lived a good few years longer. So not only is she a brilliant vet but she also could well have saved my life too - I got Transco out and sure enough it was a gas problem!

As you can see, I'm extremely indebted to her and the CCT and cannot believe she would give incorrect information out like that. I've sat in her waiting room (in Huntingdon) at times and there's been people from as far away as Yorkshire and Newcastle who take their guinea pigs there. Only someone with an exemplary reputation could attract people from so far afield surely? I can't recommend them highly enough

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.