PDA

View Full Version : Coroplast How often do you replace it?

Dani1
11-17-13, 07:48 pm
I'm just curious. How often, if ever, do you replace your coroplast?

ThePigAlchemist
11-17-13, 07:56 pm
I've had my cage for a little over 2 years now and I never have. It's got some sections that have been chewed when my pigs pulled the fleece off, but other than that it's held up great.

pinky
11-17-13, 07:57 pm
Unless they chew the sides or you want to make a larger cage, you don't have to replace the coroplast. It's plastic so it can be cleaned.

Dani1
11-17-13, 08:02 pm
Like I said, I was just curious. My current cage base is made up of multiple 2x1 sections taped together (from a failed flipper attempt). I am over the tape and planning on getting a piece large enough to have a solid tray.

lissie
11-17-13, 08:08 pm
I used to replace mine quite often. I like to get new sheet when I do a remodel of the cage.
Heard on another forums that someone had their cage for 8 years without replacing any of the parts.

spy9doc
11-18-13, 09:00 am
I think it really depends on how you care for it. I do my best to keep it clean and dry, but my boy seems to aim at the cracks and invariably there is poop under the liner and on the wall. My cage is thoroughly cleaned every 5-7 days with being sprayed with a vinegar/water solution and using a brush to clean the cracks.

Sometimes in the summer, I take my coro "trays" outdoors and clean and spray them down. The problem with doing that is that the water gets in the interior of the coroplast and it needs time to drain out and to permit the sun to thoroughly dry the whole thing.

To directly address your question, I would suggest about every three years. I don't think there are any specific suggestions that I'm aware of. Like Lissie, if I do a remodel, then I change it.

foggycreekcavy
11-18-13, 11:11 am
Frequent cleaning will prolong the life (keeps the urine scald at bay) in that it will continue to look nice longer.

If you have pigs that chew, use the report cover binders (you can find them at Best Buy, or at the Guinea Pig Cages Store-- http://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/candc-edging#.UopJ5BZJCQI ) to keep the edges nice.

Dani1
11-18-13, 07:43 pm
Frequent cleaning will prolong the life (keeps the urine scald at bay) in that it will continue to look nice longer.

If you have pigs that chew, use the report cover binders (you can find them at Best Buy, or at the Guinea Pig Cages Store-- http://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/candc-edging#.UopJ5BZJCQI ) to keep the edges nice.

I never thought about using the report cover binders. Thanks for the suggestion.