Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flags Please help flag!

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
This isn't a breeder, but I feel as though it should be flagged:
(broken link removed)

I contacted the person yesterday, since they were "so desperate" to get rid of the guinea pig. I told them if they can't find a responsible home that I will take the guinea pig and give him a loving & knowledgeable home. That's a no go. They "spent too much money and need to buy their kid another birthday gift"

Well now they're selling a MALE AND A FEMALE pig! This irks me to no end! I feel so bad for the pigs now, and I'm sure the female will have babies.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
I totally understand! I'm torn too, but I honestly don't think they have the pigs best interest at mind. From our conversation, they need the money to buy their kid a birthday gift. And there are multiple posts with different rehoming fees.

schuksudoon

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I agree, the fee is ridiculous, and you're right, they very well could be focusing more on the money rather than the pigs. But at the same time, I don't know that the ad really warrants flagging. Plus, if it's is removed, what are the chances that those pigs are going to find a good home? I would maybe suggest to them that they take what supplies that they can back to the store to get some money back, then perhaps they'd be more willing to negotiate re-homing fees for the actual pigs? It sounds to me like they probably spent their allotted birthday money on impulse getting their kid pigs, then either spent too much or didn't evaluate the situation very well and are unwilling to put in the work. Either way, I don't really know their financial situation or the reasoning behind getting pets in the first place, but I really hope that a good home comes along for the pigs!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I agree with @schuksudoon that it's best these piggies have a chance at getting a decent home; therefore, it's best for the ad to stay. I really doubt they'll have any takers anyway because $85 is much too high on CL. I got Amy for $35, and she included a pet store cage, grids, multiple water bottles, wood shavings, and food. There are plenty of others who just want to be rid of their pigs and offer big bargains with lots of supplies. I suspect that price is going to drop once they realize that fact.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
I hope it will drop, I told them I would be more than willing to take a pig.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Just got them today...... but they've never bitten. They just aren't what they thought? UMMMMMMMM yeah. I'd like to slap some people.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd concentrate on breeders. If you adopt a guinea pig, the fee is usually $25 per guinea pig. They're including the cage (even if it's too small) so I don't think it's excessive. There's no point keeping them from finding a home for them if they can. You might have gotten them thinking about what they were charging for one so they might have included the second to find them both homes. I wouldn't flag it.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
The thing that makes me upset is that it was jut ONE pig (male), and now they're including a female pig (which I'm taking a wild guess, but probably got it free off CL).

pinky

Cavy Slave
The thing that makes me upset is that it was jut ONE pig (male), and now they're including a female pig (which I'm taking a wild guess, but probably got it free off CL).
We really don't know where or how they got the other one. It's good that they're trying to rehome it rather than let it loose somewhere. It's good to ask a fee when rehoming or they might end up as feeders. I have no doubt that when someone sells a guinea pig and cage cheaply, someone who needs a feeder would consider taking the guinea pig and the cage and then selling the cage.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I agree its ridiculous. People erk me if your gonna get a pet (especially an exotic one) you need to do some research.

"got him today and just isnt what we thought it would be"

Really what did you think an animal is gonna be like buying a toy. This is a living breathing creature not foot massager or something. Like seriously any animal is a life time commitment. Not what I thought it would be sounds like their talking about a toy or something.

Last edited:

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
I don't see a problem with that. Craigslist allows you to refresh your ads to get them to the top of the list.
What the problem is, is that they are "spamming" with posting multiple posts of the same ad. And the price is always different on the rehoming. The newest one is $75 for everything OR $25 for just one pig.

pinky

Cavy Slave
What the problem is, is that they are "spamming" with posting multiple posts of the same ad. And the price is always different on the rehoming. The newest one is $75 for everything OR $25 for just one pig.

If the multiple ads bother you, flag all their ads for spamming but if you pay attention to the craigslist ads, there are tons of people who do that. Sure, you can flag them and all the other multiple ads people put up. I just wouldn't flag it as a breeding ad. They obviously want to rehome them and I wouldn't deprive them of doing that while there are people out there breeding and selling again and again.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
They ''got them today but they weren't what they thought they'd be''? Are you serious???

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
They ''got them today but they weren't what they thought they'd be''? Are you serious???

Right? thats what I said. I sware people dont use thier brains anymore.

sugarandspice

Cavy Slave
He told me he is only asking $45?

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
He told me he is only asking $45?
Wow that's a big drop from $75! There are so many ads with different prices its so confusing. I said I would be willing to take just the pig and he said no.

sugarandspice

Cavy Slave
Wow that's a big drop from $75! There are so many ads with different prices its so confusing. I said I would be willing to take just the pig and he said no.

Would you be willing to try again at the new price for $45? He told me I could have all of those supplies for $45. I just feel really bad for the pig.

The message was pretty incoherent, but I think they said something about returning to a pet store. >(

Artista

Cavy Slave
If I were near, I would just give him the $45 and save the pig. In pet stores (I know, bad) they sell babies at this price and older ones at $35 so he may be looking at store prices and thinking we're getting supplies to boot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.