Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Scabs on New Piggy

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
So today, I went to pick up my new piggy. I ended up coming home with three, because I just couldn't leave her two (accidental) babies. The person was having a child herself, and didn't have time to care for the guinea pigs anymore, and, one of the males was thought to be a female, had impregnated all NINE of her sows. She had all these nine girls living in one cage, which was fairly large (but not big enough, sigh) and outside.

After picking the girl up, she and her babies are quite skinny, and the mother has several scabs on her. She also has a bald stomach, but the owner was treating them all for mites, with the very same thing that me and the rescue near us use. None of the other piggies had these scabs, and this has led me to believe that they could be bite wounds? Also, maybe the other piggies were keeping her away from the food? I will post photos tomorrow, but I was just wondering what action I should take from here? I am rather confused, and don't want her to experience any discomfort.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
What was she being treated with?

The scabs could be from being bitten. They could also be from the hormonal surge that happens with giving birth--some pigs seem to bite at themselves and wound themselves.

Most likley, though, it's mites.

If the male was in the cage when she gave birth, she's most likely pregnant again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.