Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! Introducing my guinea pigs! (and maybe me too xD)

Cavies4Me

Cavy Slave
Hello there!
I have 2 guinea pigs :D
sorry if its blurry/bad quality pic. the only camera i have is my laptop webcam.
This is Justin! He is from a petstore, I've had him for over 3 years. :D
Picture0036.jpg:love:
This is Charlie! I got him in July,He's a peruvian. I bought him at our county fair from a breeder who is also a co-leader for my local cavy 4-h club.
Picture0039.jpg
There both boys...

They are currently in a Marchioro cage together, its 20" by 38"
But I am going to build a c&c cage. It will be 5 by 2. I will probably use fleece.
I will have extra grids, and I need a carrying cage. I was curious if you think with tons of zip ties, and of course the connectors, if it would work as a safe carrying cage.

Are the plastic connectors very hard to get on and off? I was thinking of on one corner of the cage, not putting zipties on the corner, but using connectors only. So i could take the connectors of and use the (small)side as a 'door' type of thing. My guinea pigs could jump into the cage then (over the coro) and get food/drink if they are running around my room a lot. (which they do. but they are impossible to catch, even when they are trying to get back in the cage for food )
Sorry, I'm probably confusing xD I have like this perfect picture of how everything will be!

Cavies4Me

Cavy Slave
Oh! and I joined my local 4-H club too! Our next meeting is monday.

guinnymom23

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
First welcome! your boys are adorable!
if you want to make a door to the cage, my suggestion is to cable tie the one end and then just use a couple clips, the large kind for clipping a lot of paper together, can't for the life of me think of it's technical name, to hold the door to the cage and when you want it open just unclip it? Have fun and can't wait to see what you do come up with!

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Awww...your piggies are adorable!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome. I've seen people make carriers out of grids and zip ties only. Just make sure you use a lot of zip ties to make it sturdy. Using the connectors can be a real pain and some tend to pop off. For the door just hinge the side with zip ties and use a binder clip or two to keep it closed. There is a thread on here where someone shows how they did it but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it on here.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Welcome!
Those are very pretty pigs!

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Oh, I've made a 1x1 carrier out of zip ties and grids. :)

NYKOPiggy

Cavy Slave
Hello! I am new too, I own two boys too, and I'm building my C&C cage with fleece too! Welcome and see you around. NYKOPiggy.

arod18007

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome! Justin looks like a sweetie :)

Cavies4Me

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys :D
:crazy:now i have to wait for my parents to take me to the store to buy the supplies for the C&C cage! It took me forever to find a place that would sell the grids near me, and then find another place that sold a big enough piece of Coro.
big binder clips sound like a good idea for a door. Thanks!

lunamoonagirl

Cavy Slave
Hello! Welcome to the form,:) your piggies are so cute!

NYKOPiggy

Cavy Slave
And Justin is a big boy!

NYKOPiggy

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys :D
:crazy:now i have to wait for my parents to take me to the store to buy the supplies for the C&C cage! It took me forever to find a place that would sell the grids near me, and then find another place that sold a big enough piece of Coro.
big binder clips sound like a good idea for a door. Thanks!

It's so exciting! please post photos, we don't mind if they're from the laptop. They are good enough to get to know you, and your piggies and their new home!

Cavies4Me

Cavy Slave
noooo
The target near me stopped selling the grids aaahhhh
...back to searching for grids..
(oh andi looked at the thread about targets grids but mine are/where a different brand)
It was a 6 cube pack (23 grids) but i think i will have to settle for a 4 cube pack (16 grids) from walmart.. Unfortunately they are the same price -.-
maybe my mom can order them from targets website..but then i have to pay shipping
xD I'm trying to get this cage the cheapest I can bcus I have to pay for all the piggies food, hay, and bedding. and its kind of hard for me to make money..especially in fall/winter where i live..so i mostly get $ for my bday and christmas, then spend it all year on my piggies. (my bday is perfectly placed in june to!)
hmmm.
LOL I'm bored... so I'm kind of talking a lot LOL

NYKOPiggy

Cavy Slave
sad, don't u worry, keep googling and you will find your grids or maybe here someone will know where to get them in your area. I started out with a card box. Shel was free range for two months with nothing but his towel. Of course I had to clean up daily or every two days but soon he chose like 3 spots in my apartment where I placed newspaper and a fleece piece of blanket for him. You'll get them. Be patient.

Cavies4Me

Cavy Slave
Thx NYKO.
Free ranging sounds so cool! My parents would/will never let me tho xD..My piggies are running around my room all the time tho!
I think I'm going to order the grids from target.
How big do you guys think I should make my carrying cage?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Just mske sure the grids are 9 squares across.

Cavies4Me

Cavy Slave
Thank, I'll be sure to check/count the squares.
My mom's going to take me friday, to get the grids and coroplast!
Yayz!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
You could also order them from amazon.com that's where I got mine. But you'll probably have to ask your parents.

NYKOPiggy

Cavy Slave
I'm glad! lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.