PDA

View Full Version : Are these OKAY demensions??

AlekonaKini
09-05-05, 04:28 am
I do not have my guinea pig (YET) however I do have my rabbit that I want to house in the cage until (1) I get the GP and (2) GP is quarantined and (3) They are introduced. I am wondering if the cage I designed using the cubes and chloroplast (which I have yet to get because stores that sell it aren't open on the weekends) are appropriate demensions for a GP and a rabbit to share.

Background: This cage will be going in my classroom. Now, I am not your typical classroom pet teacher. The pets come home with me on weekends, vacations and long weekends and I am their primary giver. They get all the benefits of being at home, but they get a lot of attention from the kids. Plus, unlike most schools, I can control the temperature for my room.

Upper level:5.838sq ft.
Bottom Level: 13.14sq ft.
Total: 18.978 sq. ft.

I will add pictures shortly.

piggiepigs
09-05-05, 04:47 am
Hiya, is the guinea pig going to be housed with the rabbit? If so thats a big no no. Rabbits and guinea pigs should be seperate xxxxxx

AlekonaKini
09-05-05, 05:00 am
I've read a lot of sources that say they could life amicably (sp) together. I am sure there are people here who house the rabbits and the pigs. However if that's the case, I can always just make adjustments and house one on one level and another on another.

Anyway, here are some images of the cage, with descriptions.

This is the cage. On top is room for storage/books. I am making it a "Share" section where kids can "read to the animals". (They LOVE that!)

http://www.sandpixel.net/upload/pets%20068.jpg

On the bottom, it opens. To prevent escape, they are hooked with metal fasteners.
http://www.sandpixel.net/upload/pets%20069.jpg

When you open the bottom, this is what you see. It's a platform. The rabbit can get up it on her own. The guinea pig, however, would need a ramp.
http://www.sandpixel.net/upload/pets%20070.jpg

AlekonaKini
09-05-05, 05:01 am
This shows the platform, leading to the other platform - which is the second floor.
http://www.sandpixel.net/upload/pets%20071.jpg

I am not sure if you can tell but the edge is blocked off from the ramp so no one will fall through.
http://www.sandpixel.net/upload/pets%20072.jpg

Yes, I realize there is no chloroplast yet. I am sure it'd make it easier to see if everything was set up - however I don't have the flooring yet. Flooring WILL be on the top AND bottom.

piggiepigs
09-05-05, 06:39 am
Looks good, Very good!

Im hopefully extending mine next weekend. I might let my other half do it though as it was a joint effort last time and we nearly killed one another!!!! hehe

Hope my last post didnt sound snotty in any way. If it did I apolagize. Good luck with finishing the cage x

AlekonaKini
09-05-05, 07:01 am
No you didn't sound snotty - just informative. I still really don't know if I can or not. I guess I'll create a poll or another topic in another area of the forum just to make sure. Unfortunately none of the sign stores are open right now - stupid holiday. >:(

Tomorrow I work from 7am-3:30, and then I have to take my ferret, Kiba to the vet for her checkup and distemper shot and then take her back to work. The building closes at 6pm-ish (I think??) so I wouldn't be able to get to the sign place and back in time. My best bet is on Wednesday - which isn't so bad.

Then I would just have to wait until my next paycheck next Wednesday to adopt the new GP. (Then, of course - getting enough supplies to really jazz up their living spaces. I really can't wait to see it COMPLETELY finished and everyone happy, nor can I wait until the kids come into the classroom and are like "WHOA" (the cage is about a foot taller than them, LOL)

The cage is HUGE. It's a little under 5 feet tall :)

piggiepigs
09-05-05, 07:12 am
Blimey nearly as big as me!

Whats a distemper shot? I know nothing about ferrets x

laura220
09-05-05, 07:50 am
It looks good but as PiggiePigs said earlier, it's not safe to house rabbits and GPs together. They also have different diets.

You could put a 2x4 on top if you take down the shelves and put 2 shelves under the end of the 2x4 and on the side of the rabbit's cage. Then the 2x4 is large enough for two GPs and the 2x3 with second level fit for a bunny.

AlekonaKini
09-05-05, 07:52 am
Distemper is a very deadly disease for dogs and cats. It causes them to have seizures, etc. Ferrets are odd little balls of fur.. They can catch a lot of diseases from a variety of spieces (including humans!) If a ferret catches distemper, they are as good as dead. Distemper can be carried on our shoes or clothing. So, it's best to give them the shot. Since Kiba is 8 weeks old, she will have to have a series of shots, including rabies. Even though Ferrets do not carry rabies, it is a security percaution in case they bite someone. If they have a rabies shot, they cannot, by law - be destroyed. Though if they don't have the rabies shot... even if they don't have rabies, the law can destroy them.

I found a new VET who specializes in exotics as well as the mainstream. His website has pictures of Cavies, ferrets and even chickens! So needless to say, I'll be taking my animals there from now on. :)

dagwellismypigy
09-05-05, 10:17 am
http://www.cavycages.com/rabbits.htm Rabbits + guinea pigs = bad idea

aqh88
09-05-05, 10:39 am
Rabbits should be housed with rabbits and guinea pigs with guinea pigs. Both for dietary, health, safety, and social reasons. Both are social animals but interact entirely different. I don't know about rabbits but you need 2 guinea pigs. Human or rabbit attention is not enough for a guinea pig and guinea pig attention is not enough for a rabbit. The guinea pigs will need at least 10sq ft(2x4 grids) to themselves but preferably more.

rabbitsncavyluv
09-05-05, 11:19 am
Guinea pigs can carry bordatella, which affects rabbits, causing recurring URIs, sneezing and ABs twice a day.

All rabbits carry a forms of pasturella, which can cause head tilt and other symptoms in guinea pigs. I have seen this personally twice recently. It isn't pretty.

The rabbit can accidentally step on the gp when they are playing or jumping about, and get sick from stepping in their poop. They can be territorial and guard the food.

cavy-cool-crazy
09-06-05, 09:05 am
Can I just say that the shelf will be fine for the piggy to jump up without a ramp once s/he gets the idea. Even my youngest pig (3 months old) can jump up shelves of that height.

Ditto to what all have said about rabbits and piggies. I adopted my 3rd pig from a rescue nearly 3 months ago, and she has a few deep bald patches where the rabbit she had lived with had injured her. She has a few scars and extra-sensitive areas too.

Other than those few points; good luck with adopting 2 or 3 needy piggers and giving them such a wonderful home!