PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected delivery!!!

mrezkill
09-05-05, 02:32 am
Ummm...so one of my girls (we have 2), Cupcake, was making noise. Like a squeal-type noise and was runing around in circles. Of course I was worried because she was like yelping so I checked the book we bought and it said that means she was in pain.

So im all freaking out, of course, because she kept looking at her hind leg or something so i thought something bit her. Then i see something moving under the hay and im COMPLETELY freaked out because i thought a mouse got in there and was attacking her! So yeah...she just gave birth.

I don't know what to do! We have had them for a little over a month and were never aware she was PREGNANT. We even took them to the vet and he saw/said nothing. We need to find out if it's a male or female because we do not want this happening again.

Anyone have any advice?

-ez

Teria
09-05-05, 03:15 am
First advice: Show us some baby pigtures!! :D

Second, are you sure both adults are female? If not, separate them AT ONCE. If the second pig's male, he will be all over the female right after birth, and then you get a second load of baby pigs.

Third, congratulations! How many babies does she have?

mrezkill
09-05-05, 04:02 am
Well...I'm pretty sure the other one is female. They told us she was when we bought them, but then again, they never told us Cupcake was pregnant.

The baby is surprisingly big for just being born. It's already trying to walk and can scratch itself lol. Cupcake is cleaning and taking good care of it. I can hear Cupcake talking to her baby too, it's so sweet. Skittles is keeping her distance which is good I guess.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/ezboy20/newborn1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/ezboy20/newborn2.jpg

I'm not sure what to do, but the book says to leave them alone for a few hours. I'm gonna go to bed, hopefully they'll be ok until the morning.

-ez

mrezkill
09-05-05, 04:04 am
Oh and she only had one. I was scared it would be more, but it's just one thankfully...seeing as how this one is a complete shock lol.

-ez

smoot
09-05-05, 06:14 am
First off, congratulations! Your baby is adorable! Is that her mom with her in the second pic? If so, that is one enormous baby! :silly:

I don't know which book you're looking at so I don't want to pass judgement, but the best information you can get is probably on GuineaLynx. I work in a bookstore and have looked at lots of guinea pig books and most of them contain at least some information that is contradicted by GL and CavyCages. I trust GL because the people who contribute the information are experienced rescuers who know what they're talking about. (Most guinea pig books are written by breeders.) When my baby pig was born, I learned everything I needed from GL and the good people here.
Anyhow, all lecturing aside, congratulations again! (And more pigtures wouldn't hurt!)

laura220
09-05-05, 08:26 am
Congrats! The babe is such a cutie!

I suggest you sex the other pig yourself with the help of GL.. http://guinealynx.info/sexing.html. You could also try sexing the pup but it may be easier to tell once he or she is older.. http://guinealynx.info/sexing_pups.html.

The pup should start eating pellets, hay and veggies in just a couple days.

BTW, what kind of cage are they in?

JennG
09-05-05, 10:10 am
Well, I had the same dilemna when I rescued my girls. I found out one was pregnant a few days after we brought them home. I wasn't sure who was what sex except for the pregnant girl. Then it dawned on me, I knew Snowball was a girl (because she was preggers), so I compared her parts to the other two girls and they all look the same. The humane society weren't sure of their history, so my best guess is that she was housed w/ a male before being dumped at the humane society. Unfortunately, our little girl didn't make it. Enjoy your new one and don't worry, it sounds like mama is doing a good job.

rabbitsncavyluv
09-05-05, 11:26 am
Yes, you need to sex them both adults yourself. If you got them from a pet store, never listen to them. If the other is a male, you need to separate them immediately.

If they are both girls, she probably got pregnant at the pet store or breeders. I hope the other sow (if it is a sow) isn't.

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

mrezkill
09-05-05, 11:53 am
The little baby is already running around =) It's SOOOO cute! Right now it's drinking milk from it's momma, the other pig is keeping her distance but they were all playing and running around when I woke up lol. I just gave Cupcake a carrot which she took really quickly, I hope the baby is a girl =) thanks for your responses everyone!

New pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/ezboy20/momma1.jpg

The "aunt" looks from a distance, but she has sniffed the baby already =):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/ezboy20/aunt1.jpg

-ez

mrezkill
09-05-05, 12:07 pm
BTW, what kind of cage are they in?
They're in a cage we bought at PetCo. It's pretty big, it's like 19x37, they seem to have enough room ro run around and whatnot.

-ez

rabbitsncavyluv
09-05-05, 12:38 pm
Have you seen www.cavycages.com (http://www.cavycages.com) ? The main page on this forum? If the baby is a girl, they will probably need more room when they get older.

Myspoiltpiggies
09-05-05, 01:32 pm
If the other one(aunt) is female then the mum has probably been in with male guinea pigs at the petshop. That could be why she is pregnant. Is there any way you can post pictures of their genitals so we can help you decide if the 'aunt' is really an aunt and not the dad:crazy:As for the baby being big - single babies are always bigger than usual:)

aqh88
09-05-05, 01:39 pm
That is one lucky guinea pig... That pup is quite big and many times when they have one it ends up being oversized and doesn't make it or in worst case neither mother or baby make it.
Your cage is beyond too small. Especially with 2 adults and 1 baby. It's a fraction of the size of the cages most people use and the sizes that are recommended on this site. Guinea pigs are much more active and healthy in larger cages.

mrezkill
09-05-05, 02:12 pm
We got this cage since they were both tiny when we got them. We're going to make them a bigger cage once they're bigger, right now it's more than enough room for them (they are really small right now). Of course, since we didn't expect the baby, we're gonna have to rethink the original size we were thinking of. Since we've had them for just a little over a month, we know the "aunt" isn't the father.

Cupcake looks smaller in those pics because she's hunched over, still, that baby is huge compared to how I thought they'd be lol. It's already popcorning around and humping in the hay lol.

-ez

Teria
09-05-05, 02:22 pm
Making a C&C cage is a good idea actually. Your pigs will love it! :) But right now, I'm just happy for you that both mom and baby are fine.

Ly&Pigs
09-05-05, 02:27 pm
It's pretty big, it's like 19x37, they seem to have enough room ro run around and whatnot.
No, it's not nearly big enough even for 1 pig let alone 3.

mrezkill
09-05-05, 02:30 pm
No, it's not nearly big enough even for 1 pig let alone 3.
They're not full-grown adults so, yes, it's enough for them. As I said before, this is a cage for them while they're still small, it's not their permanent one.

-ez

Myspoiltpiggies
09-05-05, 02:59 pm
They're not full-grown adults so, yes, it's enough for them.
It really is too small. I'm not trying to be horrible but why can't you just except what you are told. We know a lot more than you about these animals. It's great that you are planning on getting a bigger cage.:)

Salstar
09-05-05, 03:27 pm
They're not full-grown adults so, yes, it's enough for them. As I said before, this is a cage for them while they're still small, it's not their permanent one.

-ez

Congrats on the baby and mummy cupcake being ok! hehe in the third pic the baby looks like it has the number 2 on its back in white! lol so cute!! :)

I'm glad to see that you say the cage is not a permanent one for them, but I believe that you should really consider expanding there cage to a 2 by 4 or 2 by 5 C&C cage a lot sooner rather than later as your cage isn't big enough for one guinea pig.

I currently have 3 young boys (13wks, 13wks, and 11wks) in a 2 By 4 cage and I'm increasing it to a 2 by 5 cage this weekend as there is not enough room for them (though compared to the cages all our old piggers were in it is huge! but I was very missinformed back then and thought pet store cages and hutches were large enough for 3 - 4 piggers!)

Anyway, good luck and have fun with your new piggy and lets hope it's a girl! :)

Teria
09-05-05, 03:27 pm
Myspoiltpiggies, I see no need to be condescending. At least give her time to check this site!

Salstar
09-05-05, 03:39 pm
Teria, I agree that there is no need to be condescending :) but mrezkill has been a member here for nearly 3 weeks now...thats plenty of time to have checked the site out and have realised that his/her cage is far to small.

Funnygpigs
09-05-05, 04:42 pm
Wow! That baby is big. My sweetpea just gave birth 6 days ago, and her babies were all tiny compaired to that one! I had no idea they could even pop out a baby that big.-hehe.

Congrats. I hope it is a girl. Other wise, you will need to seperate the male out at 3 weeks of age. Then, you will have to get it neutered if you plan on keeping it. Good luck. :0)

mrezkill
09-05-05, 06:56 pm
Yeah we're crossing our fingers that it's a girl. Whatever it is, it looks just like momma =D

-ez

aqh88
09-05-05, 09:39 pm
Even with her hunched over the baby is big. Mine were only around the size of their mom's head and maybe half the size of my palm. They still mostly fit in 1 hand at close to 4weeks old. I have the 3 babies and 1 adult in a 2x3 cage(~2 sq ft bigger than that cage) and it is way too small. Definitely a couple grids short. I have the coroplast cut to at least make it a 2x4 and beyond that I'll have to order some more cause I used up the rest making the girls 2x8. You need a cage at least twice the size of your current one especially with them being young. Young pigs love running around even more than adult pigs. If I had 2 babies and 2 older pigs and had to fit them in 2 different size cages I'd definitely put the older ones in the smaller cage and the babies in the bigger cage.

Ly&Pigs
09-05-05, 09:48 pm
It doesn't matter if they are 3 weeks or 3 years, they will need a cage large enough for them. I am glad to hear you will be making them a larger cage.

Percy's Mom
09-06-05, 05:14 am
Since we've had them for just a little over a month, we know the "aunt" isn't the father.

ez
How much over a month have you had the adults? Gestation for guina pigs is nearly 2 months. You should definitely resex the "aunt".

smoot
09-06-05, 05:25 am
Salstar's suggestion was good: a 2x5 C&C would be good, if not bigger. About five weeks ago I went through an unexpected pregnancy that resulted in a single healthy girl pup, too. That brings the number up to three girls. I currently have a 2x4 and it's definitely getting crowded. After three weeks, she wanted her own hidey-house. And baby pigs grow so fast! You'll have three full-sized pigs before you know it!

I have to repeat that your baby is super cute, especially now that I see the zig-zag on the back of her head. And she's ENORMOUS!