Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to piggy parenting.

dukestyles

Cavy Slave
Hi there my name is Carolyne and I am the new proud mama to 3 young male piggies. Sushi is a calico short hair Blizzard is an albino short hair and Nugget is a grey and white semi long hair. Loving every minute with them and spending a fortune on my new babies. Looking forward to getting to know most of you and learning tons about my piggies and giving them a happy healthy life!!!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Welcome! We would love to see photos.

Blizzard is what's called a PEW, or Pink Eyed White. There is actually no albinism in guinea pigs (just a random fact)!

dukestyles

Cavy Slave
Oh wow thanks for that I had no idea :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome. And a piece of advice to all people who are new to pigs -- turn them over and compare their private parts and make sure they're all the same gender. Don't take anyone else's word for it. Pet stores are notorious for missexing pigs, and vets don't always do such a hot job of it, either.

Also, before you go hog wild spending money on them, they don't need too many things. Much of what you find in pet stores is not suitable for guinea pigs even if it's marketed for them. You'll save money if you'll post a list of what you're considering and let someone here tell you what's safe/useful for them and what's not.

dukestyles

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I have taken them to the vet and checked myself. They are in fact all boys. I just spent a small fortune on the cage and fleece I'm using

Epiphaneee

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I have taken them to the vet and checked myself. They are in fact all boys. I just spent a small fortune on the cage and fleece I'm using

I just switched to fleece, so I know what you're saying about that small fortune, @dukestyles. But, mine is probably at least *partly* because I needed "several" different fleece patterns to get started. haha I'd love to see pix of your boys!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum Caroline. :) We'd love to see some pigtures of your gorgeous boys.

Sushi is a calico short hair
Just to bust another breed myth, the calico gene is specific to cats. In guinea pigs, it's referred to as Tortoiseshell and white. :)

dukestyles

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum Caroline. :) We'd love to see some pigtures of your gorgeous boys.

Just to bust another breed myth, the calico gene is specific to cats. In guinea pigs, it's referred to as Tortoiseshell and white. :)

Thanks for that too lol as I said im new to piggy parenting so I have tons to learn :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.