PDA

View Full Version : Cage 1st time soon to be piggie owner needs all reasonable suggestions for limited budget

Muddypaw
10-30-13, 09:14 pm
So I found out about 2 or so hours ago that we'll be getting 2 American guinea pigs in about 3 days. Only problem is we do not have a home for them to keep them seperate from the little monster toddler and 2 dogs who I'm almost positive won't even notice they're here. Shoot they didn't even notice we had a cat for almost 3 months lol. Anyways, I've started reading on homes for them and would love to build a dream palace for them unfortunately we have limited funds until December 1st. I dread the idea of putting them in something craptastic till then but I guess it would be better then them heading to the kill shelter here. The person who had them before has just kept them in a fish tank and won't be giving that to us. Plus maybe I'm odd but living in a fish tank and not being a fish is just odd.

So I'm asking for some reasonable ideas that I can either order off amazon or figure something quick with the small local hardware store (closet big city is almost 3 hrs away) till my paycheck is bigger and I can upgrade them. My problem is I have maybe $60 - $70 to do all this with including buying them food and bedding. :sad: TIA

aspecht
10-30-13, 09:21 pm
Just going to point this out, when I got my guinea pigs, for their cage and supplies I spent a total of $65. This was the C&C cage, bowls, food, water bottle, hay for a month, and house. :) It's totally doable. As for a house, you can just cut a cardboard box and use that. Bowls are $1.14 at Walmart for one that is large enough for a pellet dish. I bought larger ones from Petsmart for veggies, $2.99 a piece. A $9 bag of Kaytee hay should be enough to get through a month. $15 for Oxbow pellets.

cheshirekris
10-30-13, 09:22 pm
Well Coroplast at home depot for a 2x4 is $13. Grids are about $20 and you can get fleece at thrift shops for for 50 cents to $2. For food you could always go pelletless )Just remember to give plenty of vegtables)till December 1st. Depending where you live a local farmer for hay would be cheapest. For me a bale of orchard grass is $3. That is about it so your total cost would be about $33 for cage and maybe $10 for fleece. Also at Walmart they have fleece for about $2.88 right now. Otherwise off Amazon you can buy the midwest cage for $50-$60.

natsmom26
10-30-13, 09:26 pm
Check craigslist, too. I was able to get a used C&C cage really cheap. I got lots of fleece blankets at garage sales for $1 or less.

korryn92
10-30-13, 09:30 pm
I got my grids from amazon at a good price and a lot of different places sell them on their so compare them before you buy so you get the best price. I usually order my fleece from Joanns but Walmart probably has it cheaper if yours has a fabric section but if not they have it online too. I haven't bought fleece from there in a long time but all the fabric I have ever bought there has held up well before. If there are any people around you that make signs or might have some used ones left over get a hold of them and ask if you could buy some for a good price.

Hope this helps :)

Muddypaw
10-30-13, 09:31 pm
Gaah I should have said we don't have a HD or Lowe's. Right now my options are Walmart, Fred's, & a TruValue. I was thinking any from amazon I can get free shipping and have it here by Saturday. Walmart site to store here runs about 9 days out.

Right now I'm thinking these storage cubes (http://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-6070-1723-Storage-Cubes-Black/dp/B000LRBSFI/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1383189479&sr=8-34&keywords=guinea+pig+cage) from Amazon, but what would I put on the bottom? :confused: I feel so lost right now. Sorry.

aspecht
10-30-13, 09:33 pm
Well Coroplast at home depot for a 2x4 is $13. Grids are about $20 and you can get fleece at thrift shops for for 50 cents to $2. For food you could always go pelletless )Just remember to give plenty of vegtables)till December 1st. Depending where you live a local farmer for hay would be cheapest. For me a bale of orchard grass is $3. That is about it so your total cost would be about $33 for cage and maybe $10 for fleece. Also at Walmart they have fleece for about $2.88 right now. Otherwise off Amazon you can buy the midwest cage for $50-$60.

You can get a 4X8 sheet of coroplast from I believe either FedEx or USPS for $20, which would allow you to make a larger cage. :) Lots of opportunities to save some money

QusieQ
10-30-13, 09:41 pm
Do you have a kmart? I purchased a set of grids for $20.

Muddypaw
10-30-13, 09:49 pm
Do you have a kmart? I purchased a set of grids for $20.

No they just closed a couple of weeks ago. Wish I had hindsight. I would have bought their pet supply section up lol

Muddypaw
10-31-13, 11:43 am
;) Spent 3 hours on the phone this morning and of course the last place I thought of has coroplast and will give me a discount for the simple fact that my SIL used to date their kid. Woot for odd family ties. Ordered a set of grids off Amazon and will have it here Sat thanks to Prime. Tomorrow's plan is to hit up thirft shops first for fleece and towels. I've got a huge arsenal of cardboard boxes waiting in the burn pile that will be rescued and put back together for the kids to help construct some hideys. Walmart for water bottle, simple food selection, and Co-op to pick up some snacks.

I just wanted to thank ya'lls for giving ideas and pointing me in the right direction when I was feeling "stuck".

RubyRain
10-31-13, 12:03 pm
PLEASE do not buy the guinea pig food from wal mart! that stuff is garbage to be honest. Guinea pig food should not have nuts, seeds, or colored bits. The first ingredient should be Timothy hay just in case you were wondering.

Since you have limited funds you may not be able to buy bulk which saves money in the long run, but you can get Oxbow pellets off amazon. That is one of the top 2 pellets suggested here.

They don't need any special pet snacks. The best "treats" for piggies are fruits and veggies.

Good luck!

Muddypaw
10-31-13, 12:13 pm
PLEASE do not buy the guinea pig food from wal mart! that stuff is garbage to be honest. Guinea pig food should not have nuts, seeds, or colored bits. The first ingredient should be Timothy hay just in case you were wondering.

Since you have limited funds you may not be able to buy bulk which saves money in the long run, but you can get Oxbow pellets off amazon. That is one of the top 2 pellets suggested here.

They don't need any special pet snacks. The best "treats" for piggies are fruits and veggies.

Good luck!

Gotcya on the walmart food thing. I'll hit up our grange then. The coop for snacks is our local place to grab organic/natural food items. I buy all my produce there and already did my shopping for the week so another trip is in order. I had the timothy's in my cart on amazon and pulled them off last minute. Should have kept them there. Wonder if I can get them here by saturday or if it's too late. Off to scheck.

pinky
10-31-13, 12:41 pm
Look on craigslist or visit Goodwill. Contact your local political headquarters to see if they have any old signs that you can use for the base. Signs are made out of coroplast. Put an ad on Freecycle, asking for materials you need to build a cage. You can use wire shelving instead of grids. Contact mattress stores near you to see if they have any large sheets of plastic they're tossing. New mattresses are wrapped in really heavy duty plastic in enormous sizes. If you can't get coroplast, it's thicker than shower curtains.

Muddypaw
11-02-13, 11:58 am
Got the a 48 x 96 sheet for $10. Waiting for the cage thing to get here from Amazon. Raided the garage for all teh zipties we have, well over 500 in there. :ohmy:
Can't wait to start putting this home together tonight after soccer. While digging in the garage I found a pile of 20 moving pads the movers forgot when they moved us, so that saves on a trip to Uhaul till next month as these are the quilted ones vs the single layer uHaul ones. Got some used towels at the thirft store for $2, some fleece and 2 bowls from wal-mart for $8. Thinking we're doing pretty good so far. Everyone's suggestions have really helped narrow my focus vs being confused!

Traysea
11-02-13, 12:31 pm
Im not sure if you can use the quilted uhaul blankets. What we all use is the single layer, recycled denim pads: http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Protective-stuff/Furniture-Pad?id=2670

Not sure what the absorption is on the quilted blankets… You might need to stick with the used thrift store towels for now.