Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection 4 and a half year old boy keeps getting Rattle noise...

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Chester boy has been in the rescue for nearly a year...he has already gotten this rattle noise (NOT wheezing or Hotting)3 times before...the vet checked his nose, eyes and lungs...no other signs that is a URI but she gave us baytril and with-in 7 - 14 days each time it stopped....it's always about 3 - 4 months between him getting it.

3 weeks after he come to us he was introduced to Jasper (a boy found in a park)...now Jasper has never gotten sick and we've never separated him from Chester so I'm doubting now it is a URI...more so that I've never heard him wheez but it's a rattling noise that from memory (remembering the last time he it it was months ago) it comes from one of his lungs....but always the same one.

He never loses weight.

I'm probably missing a common sickness that involves rattling in one lung...but the fact it keeps reoccurring? He was even out at foster home and it came....so he came back and went on Baytril.

Him and Jasper just keep coming back to us....It's as if they've decided the rescue is their home and each time someone comes around to meet them they mess-around and become little brats!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
@bpatters

Any helpful thoughts on the matter? I've read up that it could be something to do with a heart issue...if it is would it be treatable?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Was he ever x-rayed? It's possible there's some residual fluid or infection left? Or perhaps not infection, but something else, like a growth or something.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
He hasn't been x-rayed yet, would you recommend to get him x-rayed to hopefully shine some light on this?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Since it keeps happening, I think it's a good idea.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Okay thanks!

We've got three boys in for de-sexing over the next two days so will have a chat to the vets...as I'd like to get to the bottom of this!
Hopefully the xray will show something that we can sort out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.