Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated Still eating and urinating but only pooping a very small amount?

oshixx

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig, Nano, is currently having some pooping problems.

She had a possible GI Stasis(not very severe) back in August, and I have been keeping an eye on her ever since. Usually when I suspect that she may not be pooping normally I will clean the bath tube and put her in it, wait a little and see how much she poops. I suspected this due to the increase in Nano's weight.

Usually she will produce at least 10 pieces of poops in less than 30 minutes or so, but when I did it today, she's only produced two pieces of poo, one larger one and one smaller one.

Diet:

She have been eating ok, had a little bit of bell pepper today, her normal pellets food, and timothy hay. I did give her some red leaf lettuce yesterday or the day before.

Medication:

She got about two to three small doses of baytril due to some dirt I found around her nose, and I thought she may have some light URI. I did give her some Benebac after the baytril, but I'm suspecting that the Baytril is the cause of the problem.

Urination:

When I put Nano in the bathtub to monitor her poops, she urinated twice, so I can confirm that she is urinating.

She is still active but is reacting a little differently when I interact with her, probably due to discomfort caused by this pooping issue.

When Nano showed similar symptoms back in August, the vet provided some metoclopramide which helped Nano within hours, I'm planning on getting some more metoclopramide for her as soon as the vet opens tomorrow morning.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Whenever you give an antibiotic, you should follow the exact dosage and duration on the label. They can build up a resistance to the antibiotic if you don't follow the instructions. I'd give her probiotics and half the pediatric dose of baby simethicone (avaiable at drug stores) a couple of times a day for a few days to see if that makes a difference. If her belly feels bloated, gently massage the area to help break up gas bubbles. If the problem persists or gets worse, I'd take her to your vet to be examined.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
She have been eating ok, had a little bit of bell pepper today, her normal pellets food, and timothy hay. I did give her some red leaf lettuce yesterday or the day before.

Is this usual for her? Is there a reason you don't give her more veggies?

oshixx

Cavy Slave

Is this usual for her? Is there a reason you don't give her more veggies?

Both of my guinea pigs were having re-occurring giardia, I was still giving them flagy till last week, and less veggies allows me to better monitor their poops to make sure the giardia is cleared up.
At one point I was giving them a lot of veggies because of baytril(explained below), and both piggies were having soft stools, but Doodle's was caused by the watery veggies and Nano's was caused by giardia.

They were also on Baytril for possible URI before that, which at that time the Baytril caused decreased appetite, and I give them extra veggies to maintain their food intake, which caused the piggies to be VERY picky about what to eat (they were eating a very little amount of hay at that time). I have been trying to correct their eating behavior and that's another reason why I'm not giving them more veggies right now. They are eating a lot more hays right now(pretty much back to normal eating) and I'm planning on slowly adding more veggies back to their diet.

oshixx

Cavy Slave
Just a quick update, I got some more metoclopramide from the vet on Monday and now Nano's pooping is back to normal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.