PDA

View Full Version : Question about breed and size!

aspecht
10-27-13, 03:25 pm
56685 The lady I got him from said he was a dwarf, however I know that there is more than one type of dwarf rabbit. I'm thinking Netherland Dwarf? I don't know how to tell their breed honestly. Also, if he is a netherland I'm concerned about his size. He currently weighs in at 1 lbs 4.6 oz. The weight range from what I saw for an adult is 1 1/2 lbs to 4 1/2 lbs. So does it sound like a problem or does he sound ok?

Inle_Rabbit
10-27-13, 04:32 pm
He looks like an ND. Short ears, flat face, small compact body. They usually are in the 2 lb range but could be a little smaller/bigger. Not 4.5 lbs. way, way too big for an ND. Male rabbits are usually smaller than females. As long as he's eating, pooping and not skinny I think he's going to be fine.

Aleks
10-27-13, 05:45 pm
He's such a cutie!
There's a Netherland Dwarf at the rescue I volunteer at. I was amazed by how small they are.
Your boy definitely has the same ears/face/body as their ND, so I'd say it's pretty likely that that's what he is. :)

aspecht
10-27-13, 07:18 pm
I think I had the weight range wrong. I think it said 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds. But he is skinny. His backbone can be easily felt, as well as his pelvis. When I gave him a bath, he looked like a little drowned rat. :( I'm going to work on a little weight for him. He is supposedly about 2 years old. He is eating fine now. He was not sure of what the lettuce was when I gave it to him. The lady I got him from wasn't sure what he was eating before she took him in. He's been on Producer's Pride pellets, but I'm mixing them with Oxbow now.

Inle_Rabbit
10-28-13, 07:21 am
I would just make sure he is getting enough to eat. Like guinea pigs, if he's getting a good diet he will put on weight. Maybe up his pellet intake a little until he fills out a bit. Rabbits will get fat if you don't watch what they eat and how much they eat. Guinea pigs don't seem to have that same problem.

aspecht
10-28-13, 07:24 am
I would just make sure he is getting enough to eat. Like guinea pigs, if he's getting a good diet he will put on weight. Maybe up his pellet intake a little until he fills out a bit. Rabbits will get fat if you don't watch what they eat and how much they eat. Guinea pigs don't seem to have that same problem.

I have actually been giving about 1/3 cup rather than 1/4 cup of pellets daily, and a cup or so of fresh lettuce. He is eating quite well. Just feel so bad for the little guy. His bum is a bit matted yet (I was going to shave it but then thought I had the mats out, but feeling last night there's still some). I had to shave the hair around his anus as he was getting poops stuck.

Inle_Rabbit
10-28-13, 07:26 am
Sometimes living in a dirty cage will cause mats around their bums. Hopefully having the big cage and lots of space to hop around will help with that. He should not get many mats, even around his bum, with being a short haired rabbit.

aspecht
10-28-13, 07:28 am
Sometimes living in a dirty cage will cause mats around their bums. Hopefully having the big cage and lots of space to hop around will help with that. He should not get many mats, even around his bum, with being a short haired rabbit.

His fur is surprisingly longer than I expected. He is a big fur ball. He is also shedding his coat right now. I ended up taking him and giving him a bath. I was hoping the poop would come unstuck from his rear but it didn't. It also seemed to help with the dandruff he was having. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the cage he was in wasn't cleaned out properly.

aspecht
10-28-13, 07:30 am
56706 This is another rabbit from the same house.

Inle_Rabbit
10-28-13, 07:37 am
From the pictures his hair looks pretty standard for a Netherland Dwarf. Poor little guy must have been somewhat neglected before coming to you. I'm sure he will he happier and healthier given a little time in a big, clean cage and some good pellets.

This is another rabbit from the same house.

This guy is a big Californian. They aren't the brightest bunnies around but they are snugglers. I had one called Big Bob, he was a really cool rabbit.

aspecht
10-28-13, 07:40 am
Yeah I know he's a Californian, just didn't know about them being a bit slow LOL! This is the type of cage that Maximus was kept in, except his had a metal pan under it. He was kept outside, and it's been pretty cold so I'm guessing he started growing in a thicker under coat? He keep pulling out puffs of this almost cottony fur. His poor paws are also stained yellow no matter how much I washed them.

Inle_Rabbit
10-28-13, 07:46 am
Sometimes I would look at Bob and just know that he wasn't thinking a damn thing. Just sitting there completely blank. I would say, "Bob, what are you doing?" and he would give himself a shake like he was coming around. Too funny. My mini rexes however always looked like they were thinking about something and it usually was mischief. They were too smart for their own good.

The yellow probably will not come out until his fur sheds. Rabbits have a thick undercoat that will come out in tuffs. Right now is about the time they will shed their summer coat for a winter one and that is probably what your bunny is doing. You can brush him with just a small dog brush. I like the soft bristle ones but the sticker ones are better at getting the hair out.

aspecht
10-28-13, 07:55 am
Sometimes I would look at Bob and just know that he wasn't thinking a damn thing. Just sitting there completely blank. I would say, "Bob, what are you doing?" and he would give himself a shake like he was coming around. Too funny. My mini rexes however always looked like they were thinking about something and it usually was mischief. They were too smart for their own good.

The yellow probably will not come out until his fur sheds. Rabbits have a thick undercoat that will come out in tuffs. Right now is about the time they will shed their summer coat for a winter one and that is probably what your bunny is doing. You can brush him with just a small dog brush. I like the soft bristle ones but the sticker ones are better at getting the hair out.

I took a comb to him. I laid it sideways, so the bristles ran across the fur not his skin. This pulled out quite a bit of fur. He just sits there like a champ! He doesn't seem to have much expression yet. Except last night he kept looking at my guinea pigs behind me and seemed to be thinking "OMG what are THOSE!"