Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Old Guinea P Owner

Linds

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I used to have guinea pigs when I was younger, but after my last one passed away- he had an URI and I took him to the vet but they had to put him down, I was devastated and couldn't bare to get another. However, 6 years later, I've decided I'm ready for a new piggy. I am on an adventure to prepare for a new pig! I have a relatively large store bought cage but my cat has claimed it as his fortress (it has tons of fleece and toys in it), and the cube aspect of C&C cages are a bit pricy in my area- I bought the cubes recently and tried to assemble it but it frustrated me and the cube holes were too big so I returned them, so I'm scouting out ideas for a new and improved cage! I plan on adopting a pig locally, specifically a hairless pig, but if/when I feel a spark with a certain pig, I'll probably adopt it regardless of looks! Anyways, I hope I haven't been too boring.

Here's a bit about me:
My name is Lindsay, but you can call me Lins. I have two cats (Moose and Claude), a pygmy mouse (Peanut), a syrian hamster (Adelade), a bearded dragon (Patrick a.k.a. Mr. Stump), and seven snakes (Not sure if anyone cares about snakes but their names are Zara, Edvard, Peaches, Boo, Puppy, Ringo, and Ruby). I promise that I'm not a horrible person just because I have snakes- I love all animals and snakes are animals too.

If you have any cage suggestions, let me know!

Linds

Cavy Slave
I promise I don't bite! Here are some photos of my pig-

IMG_1630.jpgIMG_1610.jpg
IMG_1605.jpgIMG_2683.jpg

Vegas was my baby, he was the tri colored but mostly white, and the solid black is Nash who was my sister's. They were a bonded pair and were as sweet as can be. But they've crossed the rainbow bridge together.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
The grids you bought were probably the 8X8 hole grids. Those are indeed ones where the holes are too large. The safe grids are the 9X9 grids. You can get a box of them at Bed, Bath and Beyond for around $18.

The pigs are adorable!!

Linds

Cavy Slave
I've looked everywhere! I went to BB&B and they couldn't even order them for me, I also went to Walmart and Lowes and they had nothing. The ones I got were from Target and half of the grids were the 8x8 and the other half were 9x9, but for $30 it wasn't worth only using half or doubling. It was overwhelming!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
You can order them from BB&B online or from Amazon.
(broken link removed)

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
BB&B should be able to order. I worked there before and we constantly ordered things for customers. Did you speak with a manager?
Sears also has some, I think they have a site to store shipping option when purchasing online.

ETA: yes, they do have a site to store shipping option. Here are all the ones they have online: https://www.sears.com/search=wire cube storage

Also, Walmart has site to store shipping option as well.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
The 17.99 grids on the Sears link are the unsafe 8-hole grids. The 21.99 ones listed are the safe ones.

Linds

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for helping! But I'm still unsure if I want to do a C&C, are there any other safe alternatives? Thanks!

pinky

Cavy Slave
You can buy closet shelving from Home Depot or Lowe's and they can cut it down to the size you need. It makes a nice, sturdy cage.

Linds

Cavy Slave
I'm going to go shopping around today to see if I can find any cubes!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Where are you located? If you're somewhere that has a Meijer, they have a pack of grids for $24.99 that are appropriate sized. I use shower curtains under my large 4X5 cage instead of coro

Linds

Cavy Slave
Do they chew through the shower curtain? I like that idea! I live in Pennsylvania, we don't have that store unfortunately.

TiaColleen

Cavy Slave
Hello Lins,

I live in PA also, I went to BB & B for my grids, and since they did not have them I stock, they ordered them for me and even gave me free shipping. With the 20% coupon they were really reasonable. I got my coro. at Home Depot. I also bought a 3 story cage off craig's list. We travel with the piggy's and I tried using a shower curtain at our camper. I think the coro is so much more convenient. I just got my 1st piggy in December and he is in the 4th or 5th cage now. I love building them. I think I missed out on a dollhouse when I was a kid! LOL! Your piggy's were adorable. My pigs are Cooper and Elliott, a tri-color and an abby.

arod18007

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I bought the grids at K-Mart for $20 a box (2 boxes were enough for me to make a 2X5 cage with a bottom level for storage). However, if you're not interested in the cubes part, I have seen people make their cages from the Coroplast alone. They just make the Coroplast I think 1 foot per wall so the pigs can't escape. However, I'm not sure how people have done that, but as far as I know, it's doable! Your piggy was beautiful and I hope you find one that you love :)

Linds

Cavy Slave
Tia, how much did the chloroplast cost at home depot?

Arod, i really like the idea of chloroplast only! I've never used chloroplast but will it stay up by itself without the cubes or would i have to tape it?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Do they chew through the shower curtain? I like that idea! I live in Pennsylvania, we don't have that store unfortunately.

with bedding ontop of it, they shouldn't be chewing it.

arod18007

Cavy Slave
Tia, how much did the chloroplast cost at home depot?

Arod, i really like the idea of chloroplast only! I've never used chloroplast but will it stay up by itself without the cubes or would i have to tape it?

You will have to tape the edges together so they don't fall down, but it should hold sturdy when the fleece is over it and it's clipped. Also, I bought my coroplast at Home Depot and it was under $15 per sheet. For my 2X5 cage I had to buy 2 sheets but I had a lot left over so I'm currently adding more to the cage.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/COROSPL...tic-Sheet-COR-3672/202771364#customer_reviews

There's the home depot link with reviews as well.

Linds

Cavy Slave
Will they cut it for you- or is it easy to cut? I want to do a half fleece and half aspen/hay side but that shouldnt matter right? The chloroplast should hold if i tape it well enough? I'm just worried that urine might seep out of the corners.

Last edited:

Linds

Cavy Slave
I can't believe I forgot to introduce Ivan, my 6 year old holland lop.

tumblr_ml3i0wVZxo1qfhmhwo1_500.jpg
tumblr_lyq2l93hr61qen9jzo1_500.jpg
tumblr_mjk897NJeH1qen9jzo3_1280.jpg
tumblr_m5oydhnOVG1qen9jzo1_500.png
tumblr_lygyjxQ5JH1qen9jzo1_500.jpg

arod18007

Cavy Slave
Will they cut it for you- or is it easy to cut? I want to do a half fleece and half aspen/hay side but that shouldnt matter right? The chloroplast should hold if i tape it well enough? I'm just worried that urine might seep out of the corners.

I'm not sure if they will cut it for you but I don't think so. However, it is very easy to cut! Just use a box cutter and it'll work great. I don't think doing it half/half will affect anything when building it - just what you put under the fleece or bedding. I use towels under my fleece so the little corners are covered so if they urinate there it won't seep out. You could also use puppy pads in those corners too, under the fleece or bedding.

Here is a link that I used for reference when I was making my C&C cage - it shows everything from start to end and will be good for showing how to cut the coroplast.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.