PDA

View Full Version : New Old Guinea P Owner

Linds
10-25-13, 09:51 pm
Hello,
I used to have guinea pigs when I was younger, but after my last one passed away- he had an URI and I took him to the vet but they had to put him down, I was devastated and couldn't bare to get another. However, 6 years later, I've decided I'm ready for a new piggy. I am on an adventure to prepare for a new pig! I have a relatively large store bought cage but my cat has claimed it as his fortress (it has tons of fleece and toys in it), and the cube aspect of C&C cages are a bit pricy in my area- I bought the cubes recently and tried to assemble it but it frustrated me and the cube holes were too big so I returned them, so I'm scouting out ideas for a new and improved cage! I plan on adopting a pig locally, specifically a hairless pig, but if/when I feel a spark with a certain pig, I'll probably adopt it regardless of looks! Anyways, I hope I haven't been too boring.

Here's a bit about me:
My name is Lindsay, but you can call me Lins. I have two cats (Moose and Claude), a pygmy mouse (Peanut), a syrian hamster (Adelade), a bearded dragon (Patrick a.k.a. Mr. Stump), and seven snakes (Not sure if anyone cares about snakes but their names are Zara, Edvard, Peaches, Boo, Puppy, Ringo, and Ruby). I promise that I'm not a horrible person just because I have snakes- I love all animals and snakes are animals too.

If you have any cage suggestions, let me know!

Linds
10-25-13, 10:31 pm
I promise I don't bite! Here are some photos of my pig-

Vegas was my baby, he was the tri colored but mostly white, and the solid black is Nash who was my sister's. They were a bonded pair and were as sweet as can be. But they've crossed the rainbow bridge together.

CavyMama
10-25-13, 10:43 pm
The grids you bought were probably the 8X8 hole grids. Those are indeed ones where the holes are too large. The safe grids are the 9X9 grids. You can get a box of them at Bed, Bath and Beyond for around $18.

The pigs are adorable!!

Linds
10-25-13, 10:51 pm
I've looked everywhere! I went to BB&B and they couldn't even order them for me, I also went to Walmart and Lowes and they had nothing. The ones I got were from Target and half of the grids were the 8x8 and the other half were 9x9, but for $30 it wasn't worth only using half or doubling. It was overwhelming!

CavyMama
10-25-13, 11:18 pm
You can order them from BB&B online or from Amazon.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/grid-wire-modular-shelving-and-storage-cubes/1016719773?categoryId=12212

MrWhistles
10-25-13, 11:26 pm
BB&B should be able to order. I worked there before and we constantly ordered things for customers. Did you speak with a manager?
Sears also has some, I think they have a site to store shipping option when purchasing online.

ETA: yes, they do have a site to store shipping option. Here are all the ones they have online: http://www.sears.com/search=wire%20cube%20storage

Also, Walmart has site to store shipping option as well.

CavyMama
10-25-13, 11:29 pm
The 17.99 grids on the Sears link are the unsafe 8-hole grids. The 21.99 ones listed are the safe ones.

Linds
10-26-13, 10:32 am
Thanks everyone for helping! But I'm still unsure if I want to do a C&C, are there any other safe alternatives? Thanks!

pinky
10-26-13, 10:37 am
You can buy closet shelving from Home Depot or Lowe's and they can cut it down to the size you need. It makes a nice, sturdy cage.

Linds
10-26-13, 12:01 pm
I'm going to go shopping around today to see if I can find any cubes!

aspecht
10-26-13, 12:10 pm
Where are you located? If you're somewhere that has a Meijer, they have a pack of grids for $24.99 that are appropriate sized. I use shower curtains under my large 4X5 cage instead of coro

Linds
10-26-13, 05:49 pm
Do they chew through the shower curtain? I like that idea! I live in Pennsylvania, we don't have that store unfortunately.

TiaColleen
10-26-13, 06:59 pm
Hello Lins,

I live in PA also, I went to BB & B for my grids, and since they did not have them I stock, they ordered them for me and even gave me free shipping. With the 20% coupon they were really reasonable. I got my coro. at Home Depot. I also bought a 3 story cage off craig's list. We travel with the piggy's and I tried using a shower curtain at our camper. I think the coro is so much more convenient. I just got my 1st piggy in December and he is in the 4th or 5th cage now. I love building them. I think I missed out on a dollhouse when I was a kid! LOL! Your piggy's were adorable. My pigs are Cooper and Elliott, a tri-color and an abby.

arod18007
10-26-13, 07:03 pm
Welcome to the forum! I bought the grids at K-Mart for $20 a box (2 boxes were enough for me to make a 2X5 cage with a bottom level for storage). However, if you're not interested in the cubes part, I have seen people make their cages from the Coroplast alone. They just make the Coroplast I think 1 foot per wall so the pigs can't escape. However, I'm not sure how people have done that, but as far as I know, it's doable! Your piggy was beautiful and I hope you find one that you love :)

Linds
10-26-13, 07:19 pm
Tia, how much did the chloroplast cost at home depot?

Arod, i really like the idea of chloroplast only! I've never used chloroplast but will it stay up by itself without the cubes or would i have to tape it?

MrWhistles
10-26-13, 07:35 pm
Do they chew through the shower curtain? I like that idea! I live in Pennsylvania, we don't have that store unfortunately.

with bedding ontop of it, they shouldn't be chewing it.

arod18007
10-26-13, 07:40 pm
Tia, how much did the chloroplast cost at home depot?

Arod, i really like the idea of chloroplast only! I've never used chloroplast but will it stay up by itself without the cubes or would i have to tape it?

You will have to tape the edges together so they don't fall down, but it should hold sturdy when the fleece is over it and it's clipped. Also, I bought my coroplast at Home Depot and it was under $15 per sheet. For my 2X5 cage I had to buy 2 sheets but I had a lot left over so I'm currently adding more to the cage.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/COROSPLAST-72-in-x-36-in-x-5-32-in-Twinwall-Plastic-Sheet-COR-3672/202771364#customer_reviews

There's the home depot link with reviews as well.

Linds
10-26-13, 07:52 pm
Will they cut it for you- or is it easy to cut? I want to do a half fleece and half aspen/hay side but that shouldnt matter right? The chloroplast should hold if i tape it well enough? I'm just worried that urine might seep out of the corners.

Linds
10-27-13, 11:52 am
I can't believe I forgot to introduce Ivan, my 6 year old holland lop.

arod18007
10-27-13, 12:50 pm
Will they cut it for you- or is it easy to cut? I want to do a half fleece and half aspen/hay side but that shouldnt matter right? The chloroplast should hold if i tape it well enough? I'm just worried that urine might seep out of the corners.

I'm not sure if they will cut it for you but I don't think so. However, it is very easy to cut! Just use a box cutter and it'll work great. I don't think doing it half/half will affect anything when building it - just what you put under the fleece or bedding. I use towels under my fleece so the little corners are covered so if they urinate there it won't seep out. You could also use puppy pads in those corners too, under the fleece or bedding.

Here is a link that I used for reference when I was making my C&C cage - it shows everything from start to end and will be good for showing how to cut the coroplast.

Linds
10-27-13, 04:45 pm
Thanks for the info, but I'm not seeing a link?

arod18007
10-27-13, 04:53 pm
Sorry, it didn't post for some reason. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXG764Gex6A

Starthecavy123
10-28-13, 11:10 am
You could always build and alternative c&c cage or when you use the grids you don't have to use the connecters just zip ties. Also you can buy an already pre made c&c cage in the guinea pig cages shop. Yes it maybe expensive but at least it comes with everything, cubes, and coroplast already pre cut all you have to do is tape it. But I suggest you not use the store bought cage, they are just way to small. Also I suggest you get a bonded pair of piggies; and adopt don't buy. I'm glad you decided to get another piggie taking care of one is very rewarding. I also suggest maybe buying the cubes from amazon that's where I got mine and the connecters fit and worked great but yes they can be stubborn to put together. Just work with them and you will get it also reinforcing the cage with zip ties helps. I hope I've help and good luck

Starthecavy123
10-28-13, 11:21 am
I've looked everywhere! I went to BB&B and they couldn't even order them for me, I also went to Walmart and Lowes and they had nothing. The ones I got were from Target and half of the grids were the 8x8 and the other half were 9x9, but for $30 it wasn't worth only using half or doubling. It was overwhelming!

Yes I've had that trouble BB&B used to have them now they don't. Walmart doesn't have any lowes doesn't either but some people use the wire shelving if they can't get grids. Yes target ones are not safe at all there is even a form thread about them. I would suggest amazon.com that's where I got mine. I got them for only $22 but they have more for like $25. Just make sure they are 9x9 squares across they are the safe ones. These are the ones I bought from amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LRBSFI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_image_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER Also try here http://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/ they sell the parts and premade cages.

Starthecavy123
10-28-13, 11:37 am
I got my coro. at Home Depot.

The only problem with the coro at home depot is its not wide enough to make the 6 inch long sides unless you buy 2 sheets. But if that works for you then great my home depot is a little more expensive :(

MrWhistles
10-28-13, 04:02 pm
The only problem with the coro at home depot is its not wide enough to make the 6 inch long sides unless you buy 2 sheets. But if that works for you then great my home depot is a little more expensive :(

Unless you're using loose bedding, you don't need 6" sides. I use 3" sides in my cage.

Starthecavy123
10-28-13, 04:27 pm
Unless you're using loose bedding, you don't need 6" sides. I use 3" sides in my cage.

Really thanks for the advise.

Linds
10-29-13, 08:08 am
Well, I have plenty of time to build. This weekend, a strange infection seemed form below my cats eye. I brought him to the vet and they are culturing some of his fur and skin to see if its ringworm. I dont feel comfortable bringing an animal into my apartment with the risk of the pigs possibility catching the ringworm if thats what it turns out to be. So it will be a while until i adopt a piggy.