PDA

View Full Version : New Guinea Parent

realityDroid
10-22-13, 09:03 pm
Hello all. My fiancée and I recently became adoptive parents to two Guinea pigs, Chewy and Jabba, both of which are boys. I'd like to post pictures of them sometime soon, but I'm waiting till I can get a better shot. Need a better camera. Lol

Anywho, I look forward to taking part in the forum discussions. I am still learning. So please expect a few questions from me from time to time. Thanks.

sugarandspice
10-22-13, 10:41 pm
Welcome to the forum. :)

realityDroid
10-22-13, 10:53 pm
Welcome to the forum. :)

Thanks!

Aleks
10-22-13, 10:59 pm
Welcome! This forum has so much amazing piggy knowledge to offer.
I have two boars as well. They can be quite the handful! lol
Can't wait to see pigtures of your boys! :)

QusieQ
10-22-13, 11:14 pm
Welcome, can't wait to see your pigtures!! You and ur fiancé are going to find tons of joy being guinea pig parents, I am head over heels in love with our piggies :)

realityDroid
10-23-13, 01:06 am
I'll post pictures soon. Right now their in a cage with pine. I regret even purchasing it. Especially now that it's causing me breathing issues. The boys seem fine right now though. I'm just highly sensitive. But if it affects me this bad so quickly, I can only wonder how bad it will affect them after prolonged exposure. I'd rather buy Carefresh than risk their health. I'll tell you what, those boys are expensive. Totally worth it though. Even if it means it'll take longer to pay off a credit card. Lol

realityDroid
10-23-13, 08:00 pm
I have now replaced the pine pellets with carefresh. Bought two of the big bags which altogether cost only $29 at a local store.

stillme
10-23-13, 08:05 pm
Welcome! I hope you get every answer you need!

realityDroid
10-23-13, 08:22 pm
Where do I go to get permission to post a picture that features a commercial cage? My boys are in a Midwest cage that gives them 8 Sq feet.

And thanks for all the greetings. I feel very welcomed. :)

realityDroid
10-24-13, 08:10 pm
Ok, here are pictures of the boys!

Chewy -

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/6555/cy2g.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/cy2g.jpg/)

Jabba -

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/840/c803.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/c803.jpg/)

QusieQ
10-24-13, 08:19 pm
Adorable!!

Kelsie
10-24-13, 08:40 pm
Very handsome boys. I assume since they look so much alike they are brothers.

I am glad that you got them off of the pine shavings, but have you considered using fleece? I also originally used Carefresh, but wow, it's gets so expensive. Fleece is so easy to maintain, as long as you have access to laundry facilities.

Welcome to the forum. It's so nice to meet you and your boys.

realityDroid
10-24-13, 09:25 pm

Actually, they're not brothers. I bought Chewy from a PetCo in August. Soon after I found out some disturbing stuff about places like PetCo and decided I was done purchasing from chain stores like that. I bought Jabba from a guy who I go to college with whose daughter was selling her baby guinea pigs. So I decided that I'd get another so that Chewy had a cage mate.

I am glad that you got them off of the pine shavings, but have you considered using fleece? I also originally used Carefresh, but wow, it's gets so expensive. Fleece is so easy to maintain, as long as you have access to laundry facilities.

Yes, I've been considering fleece. But I just haven't been 100% sure about it as of yet. I still need to learn as much as I can about fleece bedding. You are, however, right that Carefresh gets expensive. Luckily I am able to go to a local pet store (not a retail chain) and buy Carefresh Natural at $14.50 per 60-liter bag. So I went in and bought two of them. That is compared to WalMart who sells an off brand "Critter Care" version of paper bedding at nearly $20 for a 60-liter bag.

Thank you, I appreciate all the warm welcomes! :D

Gowroo
10-25-13, 02:18 am
Firstly may I say how adorable your boys are! Such bright inquisitive faces. Also loving the names, I've got Star Wars piggie names too.

Also personally I can highly recommend fleece. Different beddings I think really work for different people but fleece I think is great and after the start up costs (and electricity for washing machines) it's pretty cost effective. Awesome though you want to look boy it more. I was the same for weeks oohing and arhing. But hey here's a pretty great place to get tons of info :D

GuineaPigster
10-25-13, 05:33 am
I'll post pictures soon. Right now their in a cage with pine. I regret even purchasing it. Especially now that it's causing me breathing issues. The boys seem fine right now though. I'm just highly sensitive. But if it affects me this bad so quickly, I can only wonder how bad it will affect them after prolonged exposure. I'd rather buy Carefresh than risk their health. I'll tell you what, those boys are expensive. Totally worth it though. Even if it means it'll take longer to pay off a credit card. Lol
Pine is not recommended for this reason.
Welcome!! I look forward to answering your questions! Have you found an exotics vet in your area?

Where do I go to get permission to post a picture that features a commercial cage? My boys are in a Midwest cage that gives them 8 Sq feet.

And thanks for all the greetings. I feel very welcomed. :)
Mine are in a midwest with and attachment, (2x3) as well. I have Tofu and Albert. Are you thinking about upgrading their cage?

agirlwithink
10-25-13, 07:42 am
Welcome!
If you have the room C&C's are fantastic! They aren't horribly expensive either!

aspecht
10-25-13, 07:58 am

I hand wash my fleece, so it's doable without a laundry facility handy. :) Welcome! I would look into trying fleece. Some people like it, some don't. We LOVE it in my house. I do however, use kiln dried pine wood shavings in litter boxes. My rabbit is on wood pellets in his litter box. I haven't figured out exactly what to use in his litter pan yet. I'm sorry you're having such a reaction to the pine! Be careful too if you have allergies, sometimes Timothy Hay can irritate them. If you are not having problems with it then don't worry, but know that if you are there are alternatives we can suggest. :) They do have to have unlimited hay available.

realityDroid
10-25-13, 11:35 am
Are you thinking about upgrading their cage?

Not at the moment. My fiancee and I don't have the extra space where we live currently (my mother's house). But, when we get our own place, I do want to upgrade their cage.

Welcome!
If you have the room C&C's are fantastic! They aren't horribly expensive either!

I had originally intended to do C&C. However, it is next to impossible to find coroplast where I live for a price that I am willing to pay. I can't buy from any store here in Grove, and I don't usually have the ability to get up to Eugene and Springfield on a regular basis except for college. Besides, the only place up there that I've found selling coroplast is Home Depot, and they are selling tiny sheets of it for a price that would make C&C much more expensive than the Midwest cage.

I hand wash my fleece, so it's doable without a laundry facility handy. :) Welcome! I would look into trying fleece. Some people like it, some don't. We LOVE it in my house. I do however, use kiln dried pine wood shavings in litter boxes. My rabbit is on wood pellets in his litter box. I haven't figured out exactly what to use in his litter pan yet. I'm sorry you're having such a reaction to the pine! Be careful too if you have allergies, sometimes Timothy Hay can irritate them. If you are not having problems with it then don't worry, but know that if you are there are alternatives we can suggest. :) They do have to have unlimited hay available.

Unfortunately, I am allergic to just about every mammal (besides humans) and plant. So, even after removing the pine (which helped my allergies a lot after the pine was gone), I am still having allergic reactions every day. It helps to keep a window open. However, it didn't use to be like this. Sure, I'd have a slight reaction to the boys when I first got them, but it didn't start getting so severe until earlier this week. My mother is helping look into immunization shots, and hopefully our health insurance will cover most of it. If not, then I'm out of luck. I'm still paying for an earlier visit regarding my allergies.

As far as the hay goes, I am using timothy hay for them. Just bought a bag of it yesterday for under $5 at WalMart. Also made them a little tray for the hay to sit in out of a storage cube that I had laying around. I got the idea to bend it and zip tie it to the cage from another post somewhere here on the forums. Don't worry, I've got the ends covered up so that they can't climb into the tray.

agirlwithink
10-25-13, 11:49 am
Home Depot sells some coroplast! Could be an option

realityDroid
10-25-13, 11:57 am
Home Depot sells some coroplast! Could be an option

Yes, I know that. Like I said though, the Home Depot I was able to get to sells it for too much. And they don't have very much of it either. It sucks, but that's just kind of how it is where I live. One of these days I'll be able to do a C&C cage, but right now it's not much of an option.

aspecht
10-25-13, 12:07 pm
Try your local UPS or USPS or FedEx store. I got mine at one of them (can't remember which!) lol. I paid $20 for a 4X8 sheet. They have to special order though! As for the hay, try either some Bluegrass or Orchard Grass. THe orchard helped me a lot! I've heard the same about Bluegrass

realityDroid
10-25-13, 12:22 pm
Try your local UPS or USPS or FedEx store. I got mine at one of them (can't remember which!) lol. I paid $20 for a 4X8 sheet. They have to special order though! As for the hay, try either some Bluegrass or Orchard Grass. THe orchard helped me a lot! I've heard the same about Bluegrass

Ok, I'll look into getting the coroplast at USPS (I don't have a local UPS or FedEx store unfortunately). As for the Bluegrass and Orchard grass, are they as beneficial to guinea pigs as timothy hay?

MrWhistles
10-25-13, 12:52 pm
1st off, Klin-Dried Pine is totally safe. My 1st guinea pig lived nearly his entire life on pine shavings and he was very healthy up until the day he passed.

Now, for coroplast, check to see if you have a Sabic Polymershapes in your area. I got a 4'x8' colored sheet for $15 from them.
Another place you can purchase coroplast from is Lowes and Home Depot.
Bluegrass and Orchard is as beneficial as Timothy Hay is. Many of the forums users are allergic to Timothy Hay and use Bluegrass and or Orchard in placement of Timothy. My pigs get offered Bermuda, Orchard, Bluegrass and Timothy. I like giving them variety.

MrWhistles
10-25-13, 12:58 pm
I just googled the location you have on your profile, I would totally love to live in your area. It is my dream location, lol.

Anyways, you have 2 Home Depots in Eugene and a Lowes right in your city.
The closest Sabic Polymershapes to you is in Seattle, Washington.

realityDroid
10-25-13, 02:11 pm
I just googled the location you have on your profile, I would totally love to live in your area. It is my dream location, lol.

Anyways, you have 2 Home Depots in Eugene and a Lowes right in your city.
The closest Sabic Polymershapes to you is in Seattle, Washington.

Technically Lowes isn't in Cottage Grove, where I live. It's in Eugene. However, I do appreciate you looking into that and giving me that information. Lowes will be the next place I look when I am able to get up there. However, I'm usually stuck in Grove unless I'm at Pioneer Pacific College in Springfield. I'm without a car of my own and I already pay $80 a month for my fiancee and I to car pool with someone. Once I've got my credit card paid off some more I'll try to get up to Lowes.

Again, I appreciate it. I will also look around for those alternatives to Timothy Hay. :)

aspecht
10-25-13, 02:25 pm
I personally use orchard grass without a problem. :) I believe I said that earlier lol. There is a chart on www.guinealynx.com (http://www.guinealynx.com) I believe that shows what roughage they can have.

agirlwithink
10-25-13, 02:32 pm
My hubby is insanely allergic to Timothy so we use a mix of Orchard and Bluegrass and the pigs love it, and it doesn't affect him!

realityDroid
10-26-13, 08:14 pm
My hubby is insanely allergic to Timothy so we use a mix of Orchard and Bluegrass and the pigs love it, and it doesn't affect him!

I managed to find some Orchard grass. Just gotta wait a little longer so I can pay other things off.

agirlwithink
10-26-13, 08:22 pm
You're in KMS Hayloft territory so shipping to you probably wouldn't be that expensive! You should look into it! The quality is FANTASTIC.

realityDroid
10-26-13, 08:47 pm
You're in KMS Hayloft territory so shipping to you probably wouldn't be that expensive! You should look into it! The quality is FANTASTIC.

KMS Hayloft costs way too much to ship it. I'm better off buying the Orchard grass I found on Amazon. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

realityDroid
11-10-13, 12:09 pm
Ok, so it turns out that the problem I was having with breathing and what seemed to be an allergic reaction, actually wasn't an allergic reaction. I mean, I'm sure part of it may have been. But, the Sunday after my last post, I woke up with a terrible cold. After three days of sleeping on the couch, and two days skipping classes, I was able to sleep in my room and be around the boys without any issues other than the occasional sneeze.

I am even able to handle the Timothy hay without really worrying about it.

GuineaPigster
11-10-13, 12:22 pm
Good! Glad you're better!

Fick2010
11-10-13, 12:58 pm
Welcome! If yiu have any questions or concerns, all the people that use these forums are very helpful. Another helpful site is guinealynx. When I recently took mine to their vet I always check the antibiotics they were given on there. I hope you find something for your allergies.

Fick2010
11-10-13, 12:59 pm
Sorry just saw your post about your cold. Glad you're better.

realityDroid
11-10-13, 10:39 pm
Sorry just saw your post about your cold. Glad you're better.

Good! Glad you're better!
Lol. Thanks. I'm glad to be feeling better too.

Also, I switched today from Carefresh paper bedding to fleece. I bought enough fleece to fit two cages when doubled up. So each time I wash the fleece, I can put in another clean piece of doubled up fleece.

Carefresh costs me about $14.50 per bag for the large bags. This fleece only cost me about $23. The fleece itself: $9. The towels: $13. The dustpan and little sweeper for spot cleaning: $1 from the dollar tree. All washable and reusable.

In the long run, this is going to save us money on bedding since the fleece and towels can be mixed in with other clothes in the washing machine. I don't use fabric softener, so it won't be a problem so long as I'm the one cleaning the cage.