Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury New Guinea pig not using back legs

D.A.N.A

Cavy Slave
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. Let me sum up everything in short. 2 weeks ago I bought my first Guinea Pig at an Pet Shop. The guy who worked there said the pig is between 8-10 weeks old, and definitely no older than 10 weeks. Axel was an male and was also the last pig he had left. All went good and after a week I decided to get another piggy for some company for Axel during the day when I'm not there, and after some research I found it is best to have more than one. So of to an different Pet Shop I went because the original one was to far and quite a bit more expensive. There where only males, so I bought a male that was about 12 weeks old. We put the Guinea's together in a bath, and the behavior was all normal according to research about introducing 2 new piggy's. An 2 week quarantine period was not done for the following reason's: A new big cage was build for Axel the day before I got Dalton(the new piggy). And we did not want Axel to use to the new cage, and claim it as his own territory and fight Dalton when we introduce him after the 2 weeks. They are both still young piggy's as well, so we figured they will be fine, and they where! Axel claimed dominance over Dalton, and they get along quite happily in their new cage! Today is the third day they are together and is that Dalton appears to not using his back legs. It has been like that since day one. At first, it appeared that he would just drag his legs behind him, but after a while it seems that he hops trying to move forward. And he does move around the cage and eats and drinks, it is not like he just lies all day. I've tried to do some research and what I have found is that most people suggest Vitamin C deficiency. The food in the Pet Shop appeared to be the same I have at home, and on the bag of food that I've got it specifically says high in Vitamin C. Straw along with fruits such as Carrots, Cucumber and Strawberry's is also now a part of his diet since he has been with us. Can anyone please suggest what the problem might be or give any advise? If it was an Vitamin C deficiency, would the fruits help? Should we leave him for a few days and see how it goes?
Thanks in advance!

Jw90563

Cavy Slave
Hi
Sounds pretty serious. :( if it is vitamin c deficiency then veggies and fruits will help like carrot, a small amount of orange maybe. You can often buy vitamin drops maybe that will help. If you leave if for a few days it could get worse but maybe if you put him in a smaller space with lots of beds and soft things he might get better. Very sorry for him and I hope he's not in pain. If these don't work take him to a vet and fast.

D.A.N.A

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reply JW90563, I forgot to mention, I did try to feel his leg and spine, the legs felt fine, couldn't feel any broke bones or something like that. He also did not mind me touching his legs or spine, so it doesn't seem like he is in pain. He does feel quite soft and fragile, and he struggles to stand up against the food container. So maybe (more hoping) it's due to not enough vitamin C, and with the fruit he will get better over the next couple of days.

Jw90563

Cavy Slave
Well I'm glad I could help and I hope he gets better soon. Please post something if he does get better. :)

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
This sounds like an emergency!! Get him to the vet, NOW!
Do you need help finding a vet?
How big is the cage?
What brands are you feeding?

D.A.N.A

Cavy Slave
This sounds like an emergency!! Get him to the vet, NOW!
Do you need help finding a vet?
How big is the cage?
What brands are you feeding?

I don't know of any spesialized vet's. I can't rememner the dimensions of by heart, but did the cage size accorrding to this site and it is more than big enough for two. I'll have to go cheCk at home what the brand of the food is. But it shouldn't matter becuase additional straw and veggies are being fed.

D.A.N.A

Cavy Slave
I'm not going against you or anything like that. I'm merely hoping that it isn't that serious, because of veterinary cost. Don't get me wrong, if it is needed to go to an vet, I'll go to one as soon as possible!

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
And I know how you feel about veterinary costs.....they can REALLY pile up! :)
But I really think he needs to go.

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It is best to start looking around for a vet that knows about guinea pigs. He could just need more vitamin C or it could be something far more serious. Vet time as soon as possible.
Vet costs can be high at times but needed. Would you wait to take your human child to the doctors if they weren't using their own legs?

D.A.N.A

Cavy Slave
Okay cool thanks for your reply's, I'll try and see if I can find and get him to an vet as soon as I can. And at the same time continue the veggies that is high it Vitamin C.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Okay cool thanks for your reply's, I'll try and see if I can find and get him to an vet as soon as I can. And at the same time continue the veggies that is high it Vitamin C.

Try feeding bell peppers. The red have the highest vitamin C content. Good Luck!! This can be fed daily, where the fruit (oranges) can not be.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Kale is also high in C.

D.A.N.A

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated! Will defenitly keep you up to date as much as possible.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Great! :) Rooting for your baby!

Melissa123

Cavy Slave

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Once a week at once, because like Melissa123 said, it contains a lot of calcium. I feed 1-2 leaves weekly.

D.A.N.A

Cavy Slave
So I'm happy to report, that Dalton is doing much better! Him and Axel are getting along very well, and both of them have really calmed down and become quite tame. Dalton is walking much better, still not normal, but he is getting there! I think it was all down to an deficiency and previous living conditions. Thanks for all the help!

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
So I'm happy to report, that Dalton is doing much better! Him and Axel are getting along very well, and both of them have really calmed down and become quite tame. Dalton is walking much better, still not normal, but he is getting there! I think it was all down to an deficiency and previous living conditions. Thanks for all the help!

Sooo happy to hear this!!

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Yay!! Make sure to work on finding a vet now, so if he ever needs a vet, you know where to take him!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.