PDA

View Full Version : Jumpy Piggies???

StasiaJ26
09-02-05, 10:35 pm
I'm just wondering if Guniea Pigs can jump and how high? I've had piggies for over 10 years and have yet to see them jump.~Stasia

Plummie
09-04-05, 09:40 pm
They can jump, but not well. I've seen my girls jump over the food bowls while running. I would suspect that most pigs can only jump a few inches vertically. My chins on the other hand can jump about 3 feet straight up.

aqh88
09-04-05, 10:40 pm
It's not very common to see a guinea pig jump but they definitely can. I've heard of at least 1 male clearing a 14" grid without touching it. Rolo can jump over a 10" playpen without touching anything but at least puts her feet on the top when jumping over anything higher. She's jumped over up to a 14" grid but hasn't tried it with anything higher. The highest I have ever seen a pig jump was when we blocked off the hallway with a board around 1 1/2ft. It was solid and sanded smooth on the front but Marble still cleared it. She took a running start, jumped, scrambled, got her feet on the top, and pushed herself over. For the longest distance jump Peppermint jumped over fiddle sticks that were only about 4" high but probably close to 1' long.

cavy-cool-crazy
09-06-05, 10:46 am
In my cage, all the pigs have to jump at least 7" to get onto the different levels. There are 3 ramps in the 4 level cage (6 levels including the mini-levels). They have no problems at all with jumping over things.

Cavykid14
09-06-05, 05:34 pm
My piggie doesn't jump. Unless he hears the food bag being opened (popcorn).

Guinea_Gal
09-10-05, 08:57 pm
I gave all my pigs baths today, and Trila tried to jump out of the tub. She must have jumped 6 to 8 inches off the ground!

Fluff_n_roll
09-10-05, 09:02 pm
Some guinea pigs jump while the run it's called popcorning it's really cute to watch my Finnigin does it all the time. They do this when they are really happy :) But to answer your question guinea pigs can jump up to a couple feet if they really want to. Like if there seperated from floor to floor they can jump on of those grids but they would hurt there selves by landing two feet below, but they can do it.

Cavykid14
09-10-05, 11:19 pm
w000t this is my 100th post. Well yeah I wish my guinea would popcorn. But he only does if I have food, I think he's just usin me. :eye-poppi

Fluff_n_roll
09-10-05, 11:26 pm
I will try and get a video of Finn Popcorning since he does it all the time either he's just happy go lucky or mentaly happy because i dont see a piggie popcorning that much haha. But yeh i'll try and get one. That's if i can find out how to get it on here ha.:relieved: