PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit protective of GP or Coincidence?

5GPsandcounting
10-21-13, 12:12 am
My rabbit Joe is not a huge fan of my kitten and because he's an un-neautered male and I have no plans on getting another rabbit at times I let him run around with my pregnant female guinea pig. Yes I well aware of the risks but before I got Joe he was in a pet store living with three other Guinea pigs. Anyways sometimes my kitten will take swipes at my guinea pig when she sneaks in the room. Today she did that and Joe came running and chased the cat out of the room. Can my bunny be friends with my GP and really be protecting her or most likely just protecting his territory? I thought it was sweet anyways.

lissie
10-21-13, 12:15 am
He could be protecting his friends or just his territory. Either way, please don't let him run around with your guinea pigs. It's just too risky.

5GPsandcounting
10-21-13, 12:18 am
Even in an entire room?

lissie
10-21-13, 01:05 am
Have you seen this article?
http://www.guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm

Melissa123
10-21-13, 07:26 am
I would agree. It is WAY to risky letting them have any contact with each other. Please keep separated.

janinehunt
10-21-13, 08:09 am
I would be worried about the kitten taking swipes at the guinea pig too, and be sure to keep them apart. :)

foggycreekcavy
10-21-13, 09:29 am
Off topic, but I recommend you neuter your bunny. Neutered rabbits live longer lives, and their behavior is less destructive.

As everyone is saying, it's not a good idea to let them run around together. Especially since he's an intact male. You wouldn't want anything to happen to your unborn baby guinea pigs, right?

Also, if your cat takes swipes at your guinea pig, then there should be no contact between them at all. Keep the cat out when the guinea pig is having floor time.

5GPsandcounting
10-21-13, 09:41 am
Off topic, but I recommend you neuter your bunny. Neutered rabbits live longer lives, and their behavior is less destructive.

As everyone is saying, it's not a good idea to let them run around together. Especially since he's an intact male. You wouldn't want anything to happen to your unborn baby guinea pigs, right?

Also, if your cat takes swipes at your guinea pig, then there should be no contact between them at all. Keep the cat out when the guinea pig is having floor time.

I am working at the kitten she's still young is a kitten so I keep watch at all times and if she shows any signs of aggression is removed or sprayed with the spray bottle but sometimes. She jumps on the desk my pig cage is on and sticks her paws through the bars.

I will defiantly look into neutering my rabbit.

I also will not let them down for floor time together anymore =]