PDA

View Full Version : Total Noob

gatorgirl
10-14-13, 11:24 pm
Just found this forum while doing more research for my piggies... which I don't have yet. I've spent the last several days buying guinea pig supplies and a C&C cage and spending piles of money! I've never owned guinea pigs before and am really excited to adopt.

I've don't really extensive research and think I know what I'm doing, but... is there anything you wish you had known when you were pre-piggie?
Any critical advice for a first-timer that you didn't see in your pre-piggie research?

Thanks!

Artista
10-14-13, 11:31 pm
For me I didn't know males were somewhat harder than females. You have to watch their male part area and clean it. They have boar glue. If you get 2 males, your cage should be bigger than if you have females. I have a girl so I got lucky as I didn't think there was a big difference.

Read up on this board as it has great info!

Also, I had no clue how much they poop. Thankfully my girl's poo and pee doesn't stink and the poo isn't gross like I think ours, cats, dogs are. I think the odorless is highly due to diet and maybe genetics. I got a kitchen from this site and use wood pellets which is cheap as the litter and she's trained her self to go pee in there so I have minimal accidents on the fleece.

gatorgirl
10-14-13, 11:36 pm
Do girls run and play as much as the boars?

gatorgirl
10-14-13, 11:37 pm
I've don't really extensive research

This should say I've DONE really extensive research. D'oh.

ThePigAlchemist
10-14-13, 11:43 pm
I think behavioral differences between males and females are mostly based on the individual rather than the gender. Boys can be more territorial with other pigs (hence the bigger recommended cage size), but running and playing is a personality thing.

MrWhistles
10-14-13, 11:44 pm
Always ALWAYS have Ivermectin on hand
Save "pellet dust" and handfuls of pellets to make pellet mash. Freeze them to ensure they last a while.
Have vitamin C tablets on hand
Know your guinea pig poo ;) http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68360

The statement that males need more space than females is simply not always true. Any pair can need more space than another pair. I had 2 girls that barely got along in a 2x6 and my current pair is in a 2x5.

Artista
10-14-13, 11:53 pm
Do girls run and play as much as the boars?

I think it's a personality thing. Mine just happens to run only early am and late at night, although we do play games that keep her walking around in the evening in her cage.

It's been stated by many here that boars need more room than females. I'm sure there may be exceptions, but I've seen enough stated here including on the cage size guideline page here that you really should go bigger if you go the boars route.

gatorgirl
10-15-13, 12:34 am
I bought the 2 x 5 cage and thought it looked really huge and more than adequate for 3 pigs and now I wish I had gone bigger. I don't even have them yet and my cage isn't big enough! LOL

MrWhistles
10-15-13, 03:13 pm
I bought the 2 x 5 cage and thought it looked really huge and more than adequate for 3 pigs and now I wish I had gone bigger. I don't even have them yet and my cage isn't big enough! LOL

It maybe large enough. It may not be. It'll all depend on how well your pigs get along.
If they don't get along that well, you can always change the cage to a 3x4 which is equivalent to about a 2x6

gatorgirl
10-15-13, 07:53 pm
Well, I decided to make the cage bigger. I'm going to do a semi-L shaped cage with the long side being 2 x 6 and the part that stick out being 2 x 2 (the kitchen will be in there). I think having the kitchen off the side will give them more running space, especially since I have a piggy patio that has a ramp that comes down.

Thanks for all your posts! I spent HOURS here last night in that long "show your cage" thread. Can't wait to contribute mine!