Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The name is Marcy

mcgatorgirl

Cavy Slave
Hello all,

A little about me, 25 year old female who lives with a roommate and my one dog who has been raised around farm animals. I am in car sales with a crazy work schedule and decided my dog needs some company. Obviously don't have the schedule for another dog, but having raised rabbits before I had heard of and seen cavies around. Decided to do some research and just fell in love with everything I read. Went from wanting one girl, to realizing I should get two. I've been gathering supplies ever since. I look forward to having more friends in the house again!

I'm about to become a GP owner next week for the first time. I've got the cube part of my C&C cage done. The coroplast, fleece, and accessories should all be here and installed by Thursday. I have a lot of questions and I will try posting to the appropriate threads, if I fail to do so correctly I do apologize.

20131014_232446.jpg

Thanks!

Marcy

mcgatorgirl

Cavy Slave
1385129_10151711979296795_1478698309_n_20131022143306606.jpg

Say Hello to the new girls! Penelope and Winifred!

Triksey

Cavy Slave
too cute!! and love the names... :D welcome to pig slavery!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome!
Make sure when you have the dog around the pigs you supervise all interactions. Some dogs will be okay with the pigs while others will not. It depends on the breed of the dog. Some dogs will herd the pigs, others will attack while others will be best friends with them. Also guinea pigs are so fragile and large dogs will have to be supervised when around them. Good luck with your new addition to your family.

mcgatorgirl

Cavy Slave
No worries. This isn't my first dog and small animal go 'round. My dog was raised with rabbits, and was known to be beaten up by them :) The first couple weeks though will be very close watching and him being separate from them when I'm gone.

stillme

Cavy Slave
Hello and Welcome Marcy!
Your piggies are adorable! I hope you find the answers you need here on GPC!

mcgatorgirl

Cavy Slave
This may sound silly and I know these girls are young, but how long should it be before they start exploring their cage? When I put them in their cage I put them right into the kitchen. They have not left the kitchen. It's very very hard to stay hands off, but I am trying to pet them settle in. I know every animal is different, but I think I had high expectations of them at least exploring the lower level of their cage by tonight.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Just be patient! They'll come out when they are ready!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
They are still very young so a little more time for them to take till they explore is to be expected. Just give them a little more time they will start exploring on their own time. Gps are naturaly very curious animals so they will once they feel more comfortable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.