Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Should I Add A Kicthen??

brownthepiggie

Cavy Slave
Yes, it may seem like a weird question seeing as every guinea pig owner has one. But...I don't, when I bought my cage it came with an upper floor made with hard plastic. Should I cover a third of the base of the cage up with bedding then one third of wood pellets and put the kitchen on the pellets? Or should I use the upper floor and make that the kitchen? But the litter tray wont fit on it and the pellets would fall off?:( Help!x

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Do you have a C&C cage?
We add a "kitchen" because it's easier to have all food together and it localizes most of the poos and pees into 1 area.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Picture or link to cage pic would be helpful.

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I would love to see a picture of the cage first, but,
I love my kitchen!
It really makes things easier cleaning wise, and my pigs seem to like having a second level.

brownthepiggie

Cavy Slave
Do you have a C&C cage?
We add a "kitchen" because it's easier to have all food together and it localizes most of the poos and pees into 1 area.

No, I don't have a c&c cage:( It was the biggest store bought cage though and since im new I still don't know how to upload picureslol

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
No, I don't have a c&c cage:( It was the biggest store bought cage though and since im new I still don't know how to upload picureslol

Welcome!
How large is this cage? (Inside measurements)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
The cage is l=140cm x 71cm and h=51cm

Are those the inside measurements down where the pigs walk, or just just the measurements provided by the manufacturer?
(They measure the very outside lip of the cage, not where the pigs are.)

brownthepiggie

Cavy Slave
Are those the inside measurements down where the pigs walk, or just just the measurements provided by the manufacturer?
(They measure the very outside lip of the cage, not where the pigs are.)

Sorry, that's the outside! The reason is I have a pet store cage is because I cannot get a c&c cage. Pet store cages are very small, I do understand, but I don't really think they're as bad as people say. ~thanks x:)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Sorry, that's the outside! The reason is I have a pet store cage is because I cannot get a c&c cage. Pet store cages are very small, I do understand, but I don't really think they're as bad as people say. ~thanks x:)

But how large is the inside? There are actually a few pet store cages that meet the minimum recommendations (especially in europe), that's why I want to calculate the square footage for you.

The main reason people add kitchen areas is when they use fleece in the main cage area, basically to keep most of the hay off the fleece & pigs go potty where the food is. If you only use loose bedding then there is no real reason to add a kitchen really, as you can't potty train them.

brownthepiggie

Cavy Slave
But how large is the inside? There are actually a few pet store cages that meet the minimum recommendations (especially in europe), that's why I want to calculate the square footage for you.

The main reason people add kitchen areas is when they use fleece in the main cage area, basically to keep most of the hay off the fleece & pigs go potty where the food is. If you only use loose bedding then there is no real reason to add a kitchen really, as you can't potty train them.

Ok, well inside is roughly the same l= round about 130 x 67

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Ok, well inside is roughly the same l= round about 130 x 67

That's about 9.38 sq ft, and falls right in the middle of the minimum 7.5 sq ft & the recommended 10.5 sq ft.
Boys may have issues with that size as they often need more space to get along, but a bonded pair of sows will do fine. :)
It doesn't matter if it's a C&C or not as a too small C&C is just as bad as a too small pet store cage, (the pet store cage is much more expensive as well) which is why we recommend homemade cages. As your cage is probably large enough, it's totally fine if your pigs get along.

brownthepiggie

Cavy Slave
That's about 9.38 sq ft, and falls right in the middle of the minimum 7.5 sq ft & the recommended 10.5 sq ft. Boys may have issues with that size, but a bonded pair of sows will do fine. :)
It doesn't matter if it's a C&C or not as a too small C&C is just as bad as a too small pet store cage, only the pet store cage is much more expensive as well, which is why we recommend homemade cages.

Thank you so much! Sorry to bother you again but do you know how much my old cage would be , I think the inside was l=90 x 48
~ thanks x anna x :)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! Sorry to bother you again but do you know how much my old cage would be , I think the inside was l=90 x 48
~ thanks x anna x :)

It's 4.6 sq ft, not large enough for permanent housing, but will work well as a transport & hospital cage so it's good to have on hand. :) (Like after surgery, when you need to check which pig is peeing blood, when you need to restrict movement due to a sprain & such)

brownthepiggie

Cavy Slave
It's 4.6 sq ft, not large enough for permanent housing, but will work well as a transport & hospital cage.

Thanks, I was just looking at guinea pig cages. They all so expensive!

brownthepiggie

Cavy Slave
It's 4.6 sq ft, not large enough for permanent housing, but will work well as a transport & hospital cage so it's good to have on hand. :) (Like after surgery, when you need to check which pig is peeing blood, when you need to restrict movement due to a sprain & such)
Ferplast%20140%20Rabbit%20Cage_A_WP-1.jpg
I waslooking at this one ^^ its 100pounds and is 140cm

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.