Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating My guinea pig isn't eating!

Jane Doe

Cavy Slave
I need help its drinking rarely but doesn't eat at all what do I do!

sugarandspice

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
First of all, leave the guinea pig alone for now

You just got your pig, and with you constantly watching it it is not going to be comfortable eating or drinking . It doesn't recognize you, and at the moment it doesn't trust you.

Start the bonding process, and it will learn to trust you.

As for eating and drinking, glance over once in a while to see if it eat or drinks. Check the bottle and food bowl. If it turns out if he doesn't eat or drink within the next few days, make a vet appointment for a check up. Make sure the vet is cavy savvy! :)

Jane Doe

Cavy Slave
First of all, leave the guinea pig alone for now

You just got your pig, and with you constantly watching it it is not going to be comfortable eating or drinking . It doesn't recognize you, and at the moment it doesn't trust you.

Start the bonding process, and it will learn to trust you.

As for eating and drinking, glance over once in a while to see if it eat or drinks. Check the bottle and food bowl. If it turns out if he doesn't eat or drink within the next few days, make a vet appointment for a check up. Make sure the vet is cavy savvy! :)
I don't live near a vet it's about 120 miles away rounded to the nearest tens

sugarandspice

Cavy Slave
Well,you don't even know if your pig is sick, yet. Most likely, he is just getting used to his surroundings. Where do you live? Is it a rural area?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
If you live in a rural area, find some equine vets. Some equine vets are cavy savy and they'll make a house call like they make barn calls.

If you just acquired your pig, leave him or her be. Do random/quiet check ups to insure food/water is being consumed. Monitor poos and that is all you need to do. I like to give new pigs a week-ish to settle in.

sugarandspice

Cavy Slave
And also, @Giovanni Barcia what gender is your pig? You confused me with your last thread.

Jane Doe

Cavy Slave

janinehunt

Cavy Slave
Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Why don't you try giving him a couple of handfuls of fresh grass? Pigs love it and he may be more tempted to eat that than perhaps unfamiliar veggies, pellets or hay. Just make sure it is clean and untreated with chemicals and picked away from roadsides.

Good luck with your little guy. It takes a while for them to settle in. He'd probably be more comfortable with another piggy friend. :)

sugarandspice

Cavy Slave
If you don't know, see if you can decipher the difference here:
https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

As for a vet, most Equine doctors are cavy savvy like MrWhistles said. If you far from a vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.