PDA

View Full Version : Meet Miss Butterscotch

astewart126
10-11-13, 04:21 am
I want to take a moment to introduce you all to my lovely little lady: Butterscotch. I've had her for two weeks and I'm thrilled she's finally settling in. She just had a wellness check and passed with flying colors. The vet seemed very knowledgeable about piggies. I was told that after 6months(of age) they don't need to be fed pellets. He said they dont offer much and don't support them using their teeth. Has anyone else heard this?
this is a picture of her in the carrier on the way to the vet

Pawesomepet
10-11-13, 05:08 am
Welcome to the forum your piggie is adorable. And after 6 months of age they need about 1/8 cup or so Timothy based pellets under 6 months they need unlimited alfalfa based pellets but they always need a long stranded hay (Timothy,Orchard,Bluegrass etc) 24/7 unlimited. Alfalfa hay is not one of these and is not even needed at all really. They also need an appropriate mix of daily vegetables in their diet.

ThePigAlchemist
10-11-13, 08:00 am
It is definitely an option to take her off pellets completely. There are some members here that feed their pigs pelletless diets. If you do that, though, you have to be careful that the veggies you pick will provide all the vitamins and minerals they need. Personally I feed pellets (Oxbow Cavy Cuisine) as well as hay and veggies because I don't feel comfortable enough in my guinea pig nutrition knowledge. The upside to a pelletless diet, though, is it eliminates a possible cause of stones from their diet. The calcium carbonate (AKA limestone) in pellets from Oxbow and basically every brand except KMS is sometimes implicated in giving pigs stones.

And as @Pawesomepet (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=28342) said, if you do want to keep feeding pellets, you want timothy pellets after the 6 month mark.