PDA

View Full Version : Ovarian Cysts Hair loss and ovarian cysts

Linda Hussey
10-06-13, 03:38 pm
Aloha Everyone, I am new to this page and in hopes that someone might have a similar situation they are dealing with. I have 3 female Guinea pigs . About a year ago , one of them started losing fur on her sides which we were told was most likely from ovarian cysts. We eliminated the pellets we were feeling her as they were mainly soy based and just increased her Timothy hay and fresh veggies and fruit. She did get a little better , especially her attitude and energy level but not enough so our vet suggested HCG. With some hesitation we started the HCG and did see improvement. In the meantime her sister ( not sure as they were adopted at a local shelter here in Hawaii but we were told they were ) also started losing hair in the same place. The first guinea who had been on the HCG for a few moths started to get lazy. Oeuvre suggested to stop the HCG which we did. After about a month off of the HCG her fur has become thin and thinning all over and her side are visibly bulging out. I was away from her for 10 days and could not believe the change. I am very worried about her. She is still eating and drinking but looks uncomfortable. I have started the HCG again until I can call the vets tomorrow but I am hoping someone might have an idea as to what is going on. The 3 guinea pigs has not had any issues so I am not sure if it is a genetic thing or a diet and environment thing. I work with essential oils on humans and I would love to use them on my guineas but am unsure as to what would be safe for them. I know frankincense would be what I would choose for a human with this issue. I believe that the 2 guineas with the hair loss are about 3 years old. One more thing, we did take them for ultra sounds and the first one that had been on the HCG did not have any visible cysts but the second one did which is why we started the HCG. She has not regrown any fur but has not lost any more either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shelbz
10-06-13, 04:05 pm
I'm not clued up enough to give you any substantial advice, but I do hope the little gals perk up. While you're waiting for more responses, it might be worth reading: http://www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html. I'm pretty sure that the only effective method of getting rid of ovarian cysts is through spaying- has this been discussed by your vet?

bpatters
10-06-13, 05:55 pm
HCG works well with some pigs for ovarian cysts, works for a while and then stops with some other pigs, and doesn't work at all for still others. The only sure treatment for ovarian cysts is spaying the pig if she's otherwise healthy enough. Some owners do what you did and try hormone treatments, but when they stop working, the cysts will usually increase in size and are at danger of rupturing and the pig bleeding to death internally.

I would not recommend any natural remedies for this -- it's too serious a condition and can become an emergency at any time.

Pellet should never be anything other than primarily timothy hay. Their main use is as a vehicle for getting pigs the vitamins and minerals they need. Having said that, however, I doubt seriously that the soy had anything significant to do with your pig's condition. She's at the prime age for getting ovarian cysts, and many, if not most, guinea pig sows will have them. Some owners will do a preemptive spay to keep the condition from developing, but spaying a sow is a risky business in itself, and I wouldn't recommend a preemptive spay.

I think what you need, and need pretty quickly, is a vet who's done quite a few successful spays on guinea pigs. She needs to be spayed before there's torsion of the ovary or a rupture of the cyst.

One thing you may to ask the vet about is whether there are cysts on both sides or just on one. There's a relatively new technique of removing just one ovary/cyst with the incision in the flank of the pig rather than the abdomen. It's supposed to be easier on the pig because there's not as much manipulation of the bowel (guinea pig ovaries and uteri are buried pretty deep up against the spinal column, so it's a hard surgery for them), the time under anesthesia is less, and the incision isn't as likely to get infected because it's not dragging the ground. However, you do run the risk of having to have it done again if a cyst appears on the other ovary.