Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Is This Cage Setup Okay?

kazm_

Cavy Slave
20131006_124408.jpg

This is TECHNICALLY my second attempt at a cage since I started making a 2x3 with a 1x2 loft, and decided to switch it to a 2x4 with the half height loft thing.

My lines aren't straight or tight, but they'll work for my first attempt I think. I mainly want to make sure that the loft area thingy will work okay? Planning on getting 2 Guinea pigs from the bunny bunch shelter.

Suggestions? I have 2 grid sections and a bit of coroplast left.

ajweekley

Cavy Slave
You need a ramp, but otherwise, it looks good to me. You can use the coroplast and/or the grid to make it. Bend the grid to make a ramp and line it with coro, or just construct a walled ramp from pieces of coro.

kazm_

Cavy Slave
You need a ramp, but otherwise, it looks good to me. You can use the coroplast and/or the grid to make it. Bend the grid to make a ramp and line it with coro, or just construct a walled ramp from pieces of coro.
Rats. I thought I had seen in videos that they can jump up to the half height loft.

kazm_

Cavy Slave
20131006_131328.jpg

Would this work?

RandomCavy

Cavy Slave
I made a "bunk bed" type hidey for my guinea pig once, I just used two grids on the sides and a grid halfway up the sides, and my pig was able to jump on and off of it just fine. I would think it would be the same with the loft, as well.

jessieisabel

Cavy Slave
I honestly think it depends on your pigs. Some would be fine doing the jump up, some would not. I think you would have to test it out and see how both ways work for your pigs. They both seem fine to me but you should see what will work :)

littlenme

Cavy Slave
I have a half rise loft and my girls love it, our ramp is in the middle and we made it a tunnel so they cant fall from it. i didnt even try to let them jump up or down even that hieght I would be afraid they would hurt themselves. We put a strip of fleece on the ramp so it is easy grip and we just pull it out and was with the rest of the bedding. nice job on your c and c looks good.

Whispers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a loft which is at the same height and they jump up with no problems. I thought about putting a ramp in anyway for them but I don't think mine would even bother using it.

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
It all depend on the pigs. Some can jump up a loft like that, some can't. I would just wait and see. I would like the ramp a bit better though, just to be safe. :)

ajweekley

Cavy Slave
That looks great! You could add a "railing" to the ramp, but it doesn't look like it's so high that they'd get hurt if they went off the side. Up to you.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I think both versions of the cage look great.

I prefer the first one, since it provides more running space.

Some pigs do not know how to use that type of mid level loft, so it will depend on your pigs.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
My Gus can jump a considerable ways. He will not use a ramp though lol. So I think either cage would be ok, just see what your pig prefers.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Did you get your pigs? I volunteer there and would love to meet you!!!
I think the half loft might be short enough for them to jump up, just depends on the pigs as someone else said.
If you use the ramp you will need something on it to give it texture so they don't just slide down ;) You can clip fleece on it easily and then wash as needed.
Good luck!

kazm_

Cavy Slave
I haven't gotten them yet, still waiting for my fleece order to arrive. Still gotta pick up a Uhaul blanket and all the supplies from the pet store. The woman I spoke to on the phone (Dana? I could be wrong) said she needed a picture of the cage setup before I could adopt. Can't wait though.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I really can't stand it when people nit pick about someones cage and do the "I like what you did.... BUT you didn't do THAT" so please don't think I am criticizing anything. I think both set ups are great and I personally would keep the ramp and do a railing (because that is what I did for my cage) but I have seen cages with both set ups for the loft. If they don't like the jump you could also do a brick step or a cave ramp. If you keep the ramp I would add railings to it just so that one doesn't knock the other off if they try to use it at the same time.

I have a patio with a short ramp, mine likes to lay under the ramp since it's a covered area. I put mine a little away from the back wall so she can run laps around the ramp in a track. She zooms around her cage and up and down her ramp every day. You might want to consider doing that type of layout. Your pigs are going to love their cage no matter what configuration you pick.

1376386_10201809225809515_1566779818_n-1.jpg

kazm_

Cavy Slave
Yeah, thats a good idea. Whether the pigs I get like to jump or use a ramp, I'll move it over toward the center of the cage so they can run laps. Maybe still find a way to keep the tunnel foot a little added adventure.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I know people use a book cover to cover the grids for a "tunnel". I am going to give this a go, as my pigs seem to LOVE running throughs tuff lol.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Yes, Dana is in charge of guinea pigs in Montclair. I am at the OC facility. There are 2 beautiful trios of girls waiting to be adopted there and a very cute pr of boys that started in OC and then went up there, Badger and Peanut.
You'll get to meet them all and see who clicks with you :)
Just FYI, you can buy hay and pellets cheaper at their store than any pet store, in case you didn't know they had a store.
Good luck!

kazm_

Cavy Slave
Oooh, cool I didn't know that. I've kinda got my eye on Bambi and Flower. Not sure what location they're at though.

Edit: yikes they're in fountain Valley

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.