PDA

View Full Version : Cage Should i keep the cage upright or lay it on its side?

doryrules123456
10-03-13, 08:39 pm
A local rescue was going to throw this cage away but they let me have it and i dont know if i should keep it standing up or if i should keep it on its side. I have 2 guinea pigs who really need more room to run! what do you guys think would be a better option for them? Sorry for the bad picture quality my good camera is broken.
thanks again in advance for any help!

aaquino1
10-03-13, 08:50 pm
I think laying it on its side is the best option since there would be more room. Vertical spaces aren't designed for guinea pigs. Just make sure you cover the bottom bars with something like a sheet of coroplast or just a layer of fleece so it won't hurt their feet.

FluffyGuinea
10-03-13, 09:33 pm
Why do you want to put it upright though? Guinea pigs can't climb so I don't think there would be any point in doing that. Did you know that they couldn't climb? Or is there some other reason you were thinking about for putting it upright?

doryrules123456
10-03-13, 10:00 pm
i know that they cant climb and the cage is currently just a shell. i should have explained alittle bit more about it, when it is on its side it is very long and takes up alot of room and there is not alot of space in my house for it to go and i would have layers that would have ramps and i would make sure that there is no way for the pig to fall or get hurt. i would prefer to lay it down but the space is a problem and also the bedding situation is a problem. i cant use fleece because my pigs will chew it up and i have tryed everything to prevent it and my 1 pig eats shavings as well and she got really ill and my vet said to try a edible eco-straw litter but it is heavy and would be really difficult to clean the cage.

ShadeyPig
10-03-13, 10:47 pm
If I was you I would cut/detatch all of the sides and use the pieces in place of the grids for a C&C cage. I wouldnt use it as it is now because cleaning would be a nightmare.

ThePigAlchemist
10-03-13, 11:22 pm
That cage looks like it would be excellent for rats or another climbing animal. I don't know what the dimensions are, but it might be workable on its side for guinea pigs. There's just not enough space for them to even walk if it's upright.

lissie
10-03-13, 11:51 pm
I agree with ShadeyPig. You could detach all the panels and use it as a one level cage. You can use cable ties to tie the panels together.

Can you find coroplast to use as the base of the cage?

MrWhistles
10-04-13, 12:20 am
If I was you I would cut/detatch all of the sides and use the pieces in place of the grids for a C&C cage. I wouldnt use it as it is now because cleaning would be a nightmare.

definitely!
I definitely would do ShadeyPig's idea. Could make a much larger cage when you detach the pieces and use them as grids.

doryrules123456
10-24-13, 02:26 pm
thanks guys! i did detatched the grids and made a good sized cage! the only problem is the bedding. i cant use fleece or any other bedding excpet for Oxbows eco- straw bedding and it is beyond heavy and exspensive. my mom said that i should build a pull out bottom to make it easy to dump the bedding out but im having trouble thinking of a way to actually do it. does anyone have any advice on that also?

Traysea
10-24-13, 02:30 pm
how big is the cage? You can build the tray out of coroplast.