PDA

View Full Version : Bonding Rabbits

sammysmith9991
10-01-13, 04:08 pm
I have a male rabbit (Max) we got him neutered (10/09/13). We really wanted to get him a friend so we then recently got an un-dressed female (Maddy) anyway cutting a long story short. We have introduced them 3 times now first two times were a bit jumpy on mine and my partners behalf due to interfering too much so the third bunny date we left them to get on with it to let dominance set and see what happens. Maddy seems to be over dominant and when mounting max digs her teeth in and when I try to separate her from Max due to him being stressed I have to literally prise her mouth off him.. is this normal? looking up on it more I now realise that I should really have Maddy dressed due to females being very territorial so basically I want some advice from experts someone that has experience in this situation. Have I already messed up this pair by introducing them too early ? or can I still make this work? basically HELP!!? please I don't have experience in this and I am a very nervous person as I don't want any of the two bunnys to be hurt so criticism/advice/or sense of instruction direction would be greatly appreciated.

Max is a netherland dwarf/lion head at 1 years of age and Maddy is a mini lop doe at almost 2 years of age

Rayen
10-01-13, 04:55 pm
I have both a male and a female rabbit, both fixed. I would really encourage getting your female spayed if you can, my girl was extremely rabbit-aggressive beforehand. When I got my second rabbit, she met him through a gate and she flew to attack him, causing bloodshed. She would charge at him whenever she saw him, grunting and trying to box and everything. Eventually she got used to him (and really calmed down after her spay) and they managed to bond. He wasn't even really shy around her after either.

How do you have their cages set up? It's usually a good idea to keep them separated, but together in the same room. You can swap their cages every so often so they get used to each other's scent. Make sure they're close enough to see and smell each other, but not close enough to fight. If you do introduce them without any barriers in place, make sure it's in completely neutral territory. A spot that neither rabbit has been to before, and is usually on another floor or a decent distance away from the room they live in.

Bonding rabbits can take a very long time in some cases. It's really important that you try to end each bonding session on a positive note, don't try to extend it if you're unsure of how they are. Even if it looks like it's going really well early on, try to make them short meetings until you're comfortable with how they're acting towards each other. Really watch out for any aggressive postures or movements.

sammysmith9991
10-01-13, 05:45 pm
I have both a male and a female rabbit, both fixed. I would really encourage getting your female spayed if you can, my girl was extremely rabbit-aggressive beforehand. When I got my second rabbit, she met him through a gate and she flew to attack him, causing bloodshed. She would charge at him whenever she saw him, grunting and trying to box and everything. Eventually she got used to him (and really calmed down after her spay) and they managed to bond. He wasn't even really shy around her after either.

How do you have their cages set up? It's usually a good idea to keep them separated, but together in the same room. You can swap their cages every so often so they get used to each other's scent. Make sure they're close enough to see and smell each other, but not close enough to fight. If you do introduce them without any barriers in place, make sure it's in completely neutral territory. A spot that neither rabbit has been to before, and is usually on another floor or a decent distance away from the room they live in.

Bonding rabbits can take a very long time in some cases. It's really important that you try to end each bonding session on a positive note, don't try to extend it if you're unsure of how they are. Even if it looks like it's going really well early on, try to make them short meetings until you're comfortable with how they're acting towards each other. Really watch out for any aggressive postures or movements.

thanks for getting back to me so quickly. We have them in separate cages in the same room near each other, they are fine with each other they even sleep in there cages next to each other they seem comfortable until we take them to a neutral area for bunny date. It's more maddy than max it's not serious agression yet anyway but I'm scared it will turn that way as maddy is really rough on the biting is that even normal for them to bite on when mounting? I will get her dressed but when they are in there cages they seem comfortable around each other which is why this is so confusing.

Inle_Rabbit
10-01-13, 06:04 pm
It is normal for one rabbit to grab the neck fur of the other rabbit when mounting. This keeps the rabbit on bottom in its place.

For the best information on bonding rabbits you should check out the House Rabbit Society. Rememeber it could take a long time and many dates before the rabbits get along.

http://rabbit.org/tag/bonding/

sammysmith9991
10-01-13, 06:48 pm
It is normal for one rabbit to grab the neck fur of the other rabbit when mounting. This keeps the rabbit on bottom in its place.

For the best information on bonding rabbits you should check out the House Rabbit Society. Rememeber it could take a long time and many dates before the rabbits get along.

http://rabbit.org/tag/bonding/

Thanks that's very helpful :) so when my female is grabbing the neck of my male rabbit with her mouth that hard that I struggle to seperate her mouth from him, this is normal and she isn't hurting him?

Inle_Rabbit
10-01-13, 06:58 pm
It's not unusual. As long as she isn't breaking the skin. She may also be in heat and trying to get the male's attention. Female rabbits will mount males to get them to breed.

I would suggest reading the link I sent you and all those knowledgeable articles on the House Rabbit Society page as well as getting the female spayed. For now they can live next to each other and get to know one another that way but I think you are going to have an easier time of everything once she is fixed. Your female seems to be quite dominate from your description of her behavior.

sammysmith9991
10-01-13, 07:15 pm
It's not unusual. As long as she isn't breaking the skin. She may also be in heat and trying to get the male's attention. Female rabbits will mount males to get them to breed.

I would suggest reading the link I sent you and all those knowledgeable articles on the House Rabbit Society page as well as getting the female spayed. For now they can live next to each other and get to know one another that way but I think you are going to have an easier time of everything once she is fixed. Your female seems to be quite dominate from your description of her behavior.

Yes she is indeed my male is more a laid back pleasant kind of rabbit gentle timid natures where as my female is up there and fearless n very cheeky but gentle at the same time. Thanks for the advice and the website u sent me is very useful think I will hold of any more bunny dates until she has been dressed because I don't think my male bunny has a fair advantage. Poor wee thing im sure they will get along fine eventually just jumpy myself need to research more into it and get her dressed and try approach with confident attitude, however thank you for the advice greatly appreciated.

Inle_Rabbit
10-01-13, 07:34 pm
Since they aren't fighting you have a good chance that things will work out well especially with one submissive and one dominate.