Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Im gonna finally make a C&C cage! What are the best grids?

LaRiesha Floyd

Cavy Slave
So after much talking, pleading and begging, I finally convinced my husband that we need to take our 2 piggies out of the "biggest" pet store cage and make a 2x5 C&C cage. My local Home depot has the plastic I need but I keep going back and forth on the grids. I saw these grids https://www.meritline.com/mesh-cubes-silver---p-23792.aspx#2 which I thought would help keep the mess from falling out of the cage but they seem to be so closed compared to the the grids I've seen. What do you guys think?

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Well depending on if you need a top or not, I think they are cool for stands and for areas that you want to keep little hands and paws out of but they don't give you much viewing. Also if you do fleece or shavings, if you do shavings I could see where these would work well. For me, my cage is in the corner of my living room so there is a couch and a love seat on each side of my cage. I don't get much side viewing and I have a cover on the cage so I couldn't seem my piggy much if I used these. And she wouldn't be able to see out as well.

If your cage is on the floor or you mostly view your piggy from the top I would think these would be great for shaving filled cages although the coroplast should keep most of the mess in especially if you do 6" high front and side with 12" high back walls. I have seen people build their cages out of these before. I think they would be really attractive for the stand, especially if you could find silver grid for the cage so it all matches. I like it when everything matches :eek:)

The down side to these.. a lot of people use extra grids to build other things like ramps, lofts, hay racks, cave hideys, fleece forests, you couldn't make a lot of those items with these type of grids and I don't think they are the same size as regular square grid but I am not 100% sure about that.

LaRiesha Floyd

Cavy Slave
Well depending on if you need a top or not, I think they are cool for stands and for areas that you want to keep little hands and paws out of but they don't give you much viewing. Also if you do fleece or shavings, if you do shavings I could see where these would work well. For me, my cage is in the corner of my living room so there is a couch and a love seat on each side of my cage. I don't get much side viewing and I have a cover on the cage so I couldn't seem my piggy much if I used these. And she wouldn't be able to see out as well.

If your cage is on the floor or you mostly view your piggy from the top I would think these would be great for shaving filled cages although the coroplast should keep most of the mess in especially if you do 6" high front and side with 12" high back walls. I have seen people build their cages out of these before. I think they would be really attractive for the stand, especially if you could find silver grid for the cage so it all matches. I like it when everything matches :eek:)

The down side to these.. a lot of people use extra grids to build other things like ramps, lofts, hay racks, cave hideys, fleece forests, you couldn't make a lot of those items with these type of grids and I don't think they are the same size as regular square grid but I am not 100% sure about that.

Hm mm...I see what you mean. I was trying to lower the price but I see that sometimes you do have to spend more. I want to be able to see them play and eat....that's the best part!

jessieisabel

Cavy Slave
I personally don't think those grids are a great idea because there wouldn't be very good airflow through the cage. Think of how little guinea pigs are - the height of those grids would be pretty tall to them. Plus, it is cute to be able to watch them and stick your fingers through the sides to pet their adorable faces haha

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.