Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

This is sad..pig sitting in poo.

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
I really do not like one of our local humane societies. They treat animals really bad. I do not know thier funding situation, but there is no excuse to leave an animal sitting in its own poo (very soiled), all they have to do is change the newspaper. This makes me sad! I found this pic while looking on pet finder. I am not sure if I am allowed to name the shelter or not on this forum. I got the picture off of petfinder.com.

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh. That's so sad.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I agree the picture is sad, but there are worse things that this pig could be facing, it could be on cedar shavings. I also notice several kernals of dried corn in the cage, that's bad too. Many humane societies and other similar shelters are not up to date on proper piggie care. I feel that if everyone went to their local shelters that don't take care of pigs so well and give them care pamplets from CS and GL and explain to them what they are doing wrong and explain why, they might actually be willing to change things. Instead of just posting pictures of bad conditions, let's actually try to change the situation. There are no shelters close to me that take pigs. The humane society in my town has my phone number in case anyone ever tries to take a piggie there. They will call me and I will take the pig in, no questions asked.

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
Actually, I have done stuff for them. I donated two huge bags of aspen bedding, a bag of pellets, and have writen two seperate letters to the head of the humane society. Trust me, I am very proactive (as much as my resources allow)! It is sad. I saw that picture last night, and it broke my heart!:weepy:
Ly&Pigs said:
I agree the picture is sad, but there are worse things that this pig could be facing, it could be on cedar shavings. I also notice several kernals of dried corn in the cage, that's bad too. Many humane societies and other similar shelters are not up to date on proper piggie care. I feel that if everyone went to their local shelters that don't take care of pigs so well and give them care pamplets from CS and GL and explain to them what they are doing wrong and explain why, they might actually be willing to change things. Instead of just posting pictures of bad conditions, let's actually try to change the situation. There are no shelters close to me that take pigs. The humane society in my town has my phone number in case anyone ever tries to take a piggie there. They will call me and I will take the pig in, no questions asked.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
The human society here only has dogs and cats. All of the cats litter boxes are full of poo and all the dog are standing in poo. It is so sad! I know they mean well but it is still bad conditions for the animal! But it is so over run with animals here there is no room at the shelter so they are putting around 100 pets a day to sleep. It is so sad, I wish people would start spaying and nuetering their pets! That poor piggy looks so sad! He is really cute though and I hope he gets adopted soon!

CavyKind

Cavy Slave
Hi Funnypigs,
I'll begin by saying thank you for caring.
Do you have a dedicated guinea pig rescue in your area? If so, they may be willing to approach the shelter concerned and try influence the places care standards and general guinea care knowledge.
Barbara

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yes, thank you for helping. Maybe you can still take them some care guides from Cavy Spirit and Guinealynx.

Cavykid14

Cavy Slave
Thats not nearly as bad as the Meijers out by my house, the guinea pigs are in little fish tank cages with no ventilation and its only about 2x1 grids big (I measured :p ) and there are 3 In the same cage.

JUSA97

Cavy Slave
I wrote a post about Meijer in The Kitchen. I emailed them about the condition of the pigs a few days ago and haven't heard back. Figures.

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
That is sad. I wrote Bob at the Humane society. He DID write back the next day and apologized and said that he will investigate ASAP. We shall see what happens. :0)

tinkerbell

Cavy Slave
I volunteer at a humane society (the SPCA); they only have cats and small animals. Right now they only have 3 rabbits and one guinea pig. Whenever I volunteer there (and everyone else/everyday) we have to clean the cages twice a day! In the morning we have to do a very though cleaning- that means the whole cage is cleaned out- the walls are washed and all the cats and given fresh food/water/litter box/blankets and toys.

The small animals on the other hand are also cleaned twice a day too. Unfortunately they are in pine shavings. I know this is bad but the cages are cleaned twice a day. They are in store bought cages too- I told them about C&C cages but they don't have the room or the extra money for them. The only real issues I have with them are that they have a guinea pig and a rabbit housed together. They think the guinea pig needs company. I have told them other wise but they don't have the room for another cage.

So not all humane societies are all bad.

That’s great that they at least replied to you! That means that at least they are willing to listen.

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
There are good humane societies. That I agree on. The bellvue humane society is awsume! They really take care of the animals. They also have allot of funding to. Poor conditions in humane societies is a huge problem country wide (from what I hear). It is sad.

cavynut!!!

Cavy Slave
Wow that is horrible!!!
I recently found a guinea pig shelter on the internet about half an hour from my house. I hope it isnt torn down like the samlla nimal rescue society that was near my house was!! but anyway apparently this one is a pure guinea pig shelter and theres not very amny of those around. I'll keep my fingers crossed it's still around!!

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
I hope so! I think it is wonderful, all the people how but their time and souls into helping animals. If it were not for all the wonderful, caring people out there, this world would indead be horrable! :0)

Cavykid14

Cavy Slave
I think that somebody should press charges agains't meijer for cruelty to animals. Its outragous how they use fish tanks and just fill them with ceder and bad food and no hay and these tanks are only about 2' X 1' and 2-3 Guinea pigs are in there. I talked to the manager and he said that he would talk to the head manager about it, 2 weeks later it still hasn't been done.

StasiaJ26

Cavy Slave
tinkerbell said:
I volunteer at a humane society (the SPCA); they only have cats and small animals. Right now they only have 3 rabbits and one guinea pig. Whenever I volunteer there (and everyone else/everyday) we have to clean the cages twice a day! In the morning we have to do a very though cleaning- that means the whole cage is cleaned out- the walls are washed and all the cats and given fresh food/water/litter box/blankets and toys.

The small animals on the other hand are also cleaned twice a day too. Unfortunately they are in pine shavings. I know this is bad but the cages are cleaned twice a day. They are in store bought cages too- I told them about C&C cages but they don't have the room or the extra money for them. The only real issues I have with them are that they have a guinea pig and a rabbit housed together. They think the guinea pig needs company. I have told them other wise but they don't have the room for another cage.

So not all humane societies are all bad.

That’s great that they at least replied to you! That means that at least they are willing to listen.

I have to agree with tinkerbell...Sometimes it is hard to make the best decisions. I have a small animal shelter and I've done some over crowding myself. But I'd rather overcrowd for a few days until I can rearrange than to turn them away. I do however try to make the best arrangements as possible like smaller animals together instead of larger ones. But the fuller the cage the more often it is cleaned. I have gotten very creative with my cages though using things like storage totes and milk crates with plywood in the bottoms to protect their feet. I've also tipped shelving units on thier side and put tarps under them with a generous layer of aspen to prevent chewing. (Anybody finding anything wrong PLEASE tell me). I am trying to find the coroplast in my area and have recruited help to build cages though.

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
StasiaJ, good job! I am proud of you for doing what you can to take in those animals. :0)

ilovemykisses

Cavy Slave
Pics like these are truly heartbreaking. How can a "rescue" NOT take proper care of the animals they are supposedly "helping"...

I hope they clean up their act.. and clean out the poor animal cages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.