Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Friend looking after my piggies -shop bought cage okay for a couple of weeks?

Scooterpig

Cavy Slave
I will going on a trip for a couple of weeks and a friend will be looking after my piggies. The pigs will be going to her house as we live about 20 miles away. My two cages are big (each 4ft x 4ft) and my friend doesn't really have space for both of them. I also want to make the cleaning as easy as possible for her which probably means using Carefresh which can be easily dumped out.

I have one shop bought cage which is about 4.5ft x 2ft which would be ok for one pair (probably the boys). I'm considering buying a Living World Deluxe Habitat Extra Large as a temporary home for the other pair while I'm away. It's 46 8/9" x 22 4/5" - would that be okay for a couple of weeks? It seems to be about the biggest of the store cage options I can find.

Thanks!

chas25

Cavy Slave
I'm sure that would be ok for a couple weeks of course there are are more experienced people on here than me. Might want to check craigslist too might find one cheaper there

Scooterpig

Cavy Slave
It is (I actually have my gang in modified Midwest cages), however, I'm thinking about ease of cleaning for my friend, as the Living World base could be popped into a garden waste bag and all the debris easily swept out. Also her basement is tiled and the cage is likely to be on the floor, so I'm thinking the canvas base might be a bit cold. I do fleece flippers normally, but that's a lot of work for a friend doing me a favour, so they'll be on Carefresh while I'm away and I thought it might be easier to clean from the Living World cage. What do you think?

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I think you are a very thoughtful friend :eek:)

I dont know it's a pretty big cage to lift and dump, almost 4 feet long... She might have to scoop that out too but realistically she probably only has to clean the cage 3x while you are away... Seems like a lot of money to spend for just 2 weeks away. (Unless you can find one used)

I would probably use shavings instead of carefresh because they won't smell as bad and as quickly, but I know not everyone agrees with using shavings.

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
I agree with shaving. I use aspen for litter trays and it is cheaper and is quite good with smell. I can't compare it to anything because it's the only bedding I've used besides fleece.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Fresh News is another good bedding option. It's more absorbent than Carefresh, not dusty like wood shavings and lasts longer. When we go on an overnight visit to my folks, I switch from bedding and try different types of bedding. Fresh News and Sun Seed are my two favorites. They're a softer paper pellet that's not as hard as Yesterday's News. Carefresh seems to be clumpy but these two fill in the gaps better.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Fresh News is another good bedding option. It's more absorbent than Carefresh, not dusty like wood shavings and lasts longer. When we go on an overnight visit to my folks, I switch from bedding and try different types of bedding. Fresh News and Sun Seed are my two favorites. They're a softer paper pellet that's not as hard as Yesterday's News. Carefresh seems to be clumpy but these two fill in the gaps better.

Pinky, do they sell that at the pet shop for pet bedding or as cat litter?

Scooterpig

Cavy Slave
Must admit, I've never heard of Fresh News - I must look out for it. I hadn't thought about shavings either as it's many years since I used them. I really appreciate my friend doing me this huge favour in looking after the pigs so I want to make it as easy as possible for her.

I have loads of extra panels from modifying my Midwest cages so I could just get another canvas bottom and make a coroplast insert to give a firm base that's easy to sweep out. I've only just finished making my square cages and taking the canvas base off one of them and rigging it up to use as the manufacturer intended is doable but would be a bit of a pain. I haven't modified the lid so can easily just use it as it is.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Pinky, do they sell that at the pet shop for pet bedding or as cat litter?

I buy it at Pet Supplies Plus in the small pet aisle. It's made for guinea pigs and is less expensive than Carefresh. Sun Seed was a little less expensive than Fresh News but both were reasonable. I stock up when it goes on sale.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.