Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Lofts vs. Piggy Patios from cages store?

sugarandspice

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I originally bought 2x4 C&C cage for my girls. I was looking at upper levels for their cage -- to spark some stimulation. Even though I didn't buy a deluxe cage from the get-go, is it worth it to add a loft this late in the game, or should I consider getting a piggy patio? What are some pros/cons from both of them?
Thank you in advance! :)
-sugarandspice

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Well, in my opinion, their both a pain in the rear to clean under. And due to it's small space, it seems to be the area where scuffles happen between pigs. So those automatically pushes me away from both these days. The patio maybe easier to get out of scuffles due to how much lower it is/the pigs could easily jump the wall to go back to the lower level, but then there is also the risk of injury from doing such a leap.

There is also the space that is taken away from the lower level because of the ramp. Unless you constructed a space efficient ramp. When I had a loft for my pigs, I made a ramp/tunnel.

A loft is a pain to clean if your cage has a taller stand. Otherwise, it's not too bad to clean.

The only pros I see to both is it gives your pig something else to explore and in turn some more exercise from going up and down the ramp. And another space to hide in or under.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
I agree with whistles. I have a loft because my pigs love to run up and down it and they have made it their primary potty area but it is very difficult to clean under. I would consider making the cage one grid longer instead of having a loft. I am not able to expand or that is what I would do.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I also had no trouble cleaning under my loft when I had one. The loft ran the length of the back of the cage so it was 1x5 grids long.

QusieQ

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x4 (2 pigs), with an overhang 2x2 loft, easy to clean both loft and under. I had a piggy patio (1x2) but it proved to be to small. And the coroplast is cut wider to protect pigs (since no bottom grids) and it was a tighter fit in cage and a struggle to remove/insert. The loft with grids underneath proved to be much better/easier in the long run. Wish I skipped the patio.

However, let me say this. My original reason for going with a patio was because I thought I needed a "lid" for my cage --husbands idea-- but unless cage is on the floor or you have a cat, the lid wasn't necessary (at least for us)

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I put a patio in my 2x3 cage last week but have yet to add a ramp because I haven't had time to build it. I do not agree about ramps taking up space at all. There are ways to work around that if you really feel the need.

For example:
1. build the ramp on the outside of the cage with grids bent in a U shape and cut 2 doors in the coroplast for them to get to each level.
2. Build a cave out of grid and use it as a short step for them to access the ramp, they can run thru the cave or jump on top to get to the ramp. This also make the incline on the ramp less steep.
3. Utilize the space under the ramp as a hidey or nestle a nice bed under there.
4. Situate the ramp away from the back wall so they can run laps around the ramp.

As for the loft vs patio... My cage is on a stand and my cage has a cover so it was easier for me to install a patio instead of a loft. I used wonder bars to support the loft. The coroplast and bars are both removable making for easy cleaning. I have potty pad in the corners under the loft because she does like to make there which is kinda cool because it is out of sight and in one place to clean. Every time I clean I take out the patio but don't really need to take out the wonder bars. Since my loft isn't set up yet i have been using it to store clean potty pads and other extra toys.

To me the loft is a great place to add other stuff, give them a nice cosy new area to explore and you can set it up as a kitchen, any of which frees up floor space. If you can go out and make the cage longer I would do that before i put in a loft but once you can't go out any more, then up is the only option.

I will say that at some point I will probably turn my patio into a full loft because 1/3 of my cage is hidden now with the patio on top so I miss being able to watch my piggy while she is under it. I think if I did it as a loft and had it a few inches higher I could see her when she is under there.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Cleaning under my loft hurt my back. No matter the stand height or "doors" on the main level. It hurt really bad to even place fleece under that end.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I put a patio in my 2x3 cage last week but have yet to add a ramp because I haven't had time to build it. I do not agree about ramps taking up space at all. There are ways to work around that if you really feel the need.

Unless the ramp is "space efficient" it does take up space. Especially in a cage as small as yours.

Note: Space Efficient ramps are like the ones you listed. Except for #3. It still takes away maximum running space.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
The few inches a ramp take up are much less than the space of the current kitchen on the ground floor that the new loft would now free up. The space of a ramp compared to having no loft at all is minimal compared to the amount of hidey space you are now offering (under the actual ramp and under the loft) vs a few inches of ramp on the floor. With a loft and ramp in place you have now opened the whole bottom level up for running because you no longer have to allow space for the kitchen or multiple hideys. You can use the space under the loft for a nice fleece forest eliminating the need for additional hideys and because the loft is not supported on the floor of the cage anything you do can be done in such a way as to not hinder running. My piggie runs laps around her cage like crazy. The key is to keep things in the middle so they have a track to make a circle and also to make sure the other items in your cage are multi function.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Cleaning under my loft hurt my back. No matter the stand height or "doors" on the main level. It hurt really bad to even place fleece under that end.

If you can clean the cage without a loft you should be able to clean it the exact same way with a loft if you make the loft removable and use wonder bars instead of grid shelving. Then there is nothing to clean under, just regular ol' ground floor. The same as without a loft.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I understand that, right now, I'd rather not go purchase something extra just to make a loft removable when it seems to become the main area where guinea pigs squabble.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
yeah, that's a totally different problem.

I have sciatica so I know what it's like to have a bad back. I also have carpel tunnel in both wrists so my fingers are numb all day, every day. It stinks :eek:( . I didn't mean "you have to go out and build a loft". More was thinking out loud that if you wanted to do a loft, a removable one with removable bars would fix your problem.

sugarandspice

Cavy Slave

For example:
1. build the ramp on the outside of the cage with grids bent in a U shape and cut 2 doors in the coroplast for them to get to each level.
2. Build a cave out of grid and use it as a short step for them to access the ramp, they can run thru the cave or jump on top to get to the ramp. This also make the incline on the ramp less steep.
3. Utilize the space under the ramp as a hidey or nestle a nice bed under there.
4. Situate the ramp away from the back wall so they can run laps around the ramp.

If you could post a picture of your ramp however you end up inserting it in your cage, that would be very helpful! Thank you! :)

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Sure! I think I am going to do an almost in the middle of the cage U grid shape with either a cave on the bottom or just straight on the floor. Either way I am going to do it out of two U bent grids. The cave makes the most sense because then she can run thru the cave and use it as a hidey or climb up it to go to the loft. I'll probably turn the cave into a fleece forest.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I found a photo of a 2x3 cage with a patio and a cave ramp I had saved for future reference. You are motivating me to get my ramp done!

Here is my cage right now without the ramp but with the loft installed: Also, I took the tree trunk hidey out after I took the photo because it was looking cluttere and she preferred the TV hidey that week.

1374358_10201753339932403_1970747123_n.jpg

Here is the cage that I am using for inspiration for the ramp with cave idea but I want to put mine further into the cage so that she can do laps around the cage and also I think the cave is a little too high for a comfortable jump. Mine wont be that high because I have a patio mine is already lower in the cage.

CageSizes.jpg

sugarandspice

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the pictures! :)

The jump does look a little high on the bottom picture, but the loft would be only mid-grid above not a full grid so I think it could work!

Haha, no rush to get the ramp done, whenever you have the spare time.

Beautiful cage, btw! :)

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Yeah, that's how I did my ramp. It's not very high. Maybe about the height of a pig when they look upwards. Was VERY easy for my chunky girl to jump onto.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Thanks for motivating me to finish my patio!

I decided to use one U shaped grid and one flat grid to make the entire patio and ramp removable/adjustable. If I decide to convert this to a full loft I just have to extend the ramp. It ended up on an easy enough incline that I didn't bother with the cave idea. Now that it is all together, something I didn't realize is that that if you don't use a cover (I have one so it wasn't a problem), you will need one. I think she could probably jump right out of the cage so at the least, the patio section will need a lid.

1376386_10201809225809515_1566779818_n-1.jpg

Here is how I did it:
I bent a grid into a U shape and tie wrapped it to a flat grid. I laid the flat grid on top of two miracle bars (from the cage store) and used a carabiner clip for the grid so it is removable for cleaning:
1209059_10201809227529558_583393410_n.jpg

I laid down ramp carpet tread (also from the cage store) on the ramp and into the patio:

1382430_10201809227249551_1450674191_n.jpg

Then put in a home made fleece flipper:
1374274_10201809226969544_343469265_n.jpg

I ended up switching the plush bed above out for a fleece bed because she was chewing on it more than I'd like:
1383702_10201809226409530_504200442_n.jpg

She loves the patio, she loves the tunnel and bed and started using the ramp immediately.

I do regret that when I cut the hole for the ramp I wish I had cut it down the middle and created two swing out doors so that that little bit of opening was blocked off. I think I will be adding two wings to this area to make it a little safer even though it is only 5 squares off the ground. I have seen other people leave their ramps like this but I think it would have been nicer with the flaps extending to the ramp.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Patio update!

So since I added the patio she has been up and down the ramp a million times. She is doing almost ALL of her pooping up there. Since yesterday there are only TWO poops in her bottom area. I have the top of it covered by more fleece and extra grids so my cats can't reach in and swipe at her. My plan is to add mesh on top of my lid so that the cats can't reach in.

I had also set up a little feeding station in her corner potty since she wasn't really using it as a potty ever since I added the patio. Before it had a ramp she was pooping in the corner under the patio and now with the ramp added she is pooping up in the patio. I have a corner fleece pad in the potty and hay and pellet bowl in there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.