Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Putting wire grids inside chloroplast bottom?

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
I just made a 4 x 2 c&c cage for my piggie, but i must have measured something wrong somewhere because the bottom i made won't fit inside the grids. However, the grids fit nicely inside the bottom, and I was wondering, can I make the cage this way? Is there any reason i shouldn't?

let me show you a picture. (the bedding/toys/everything else isn't in it yet) Putting wire grids inside chloroplast bottom?the grid walls are just inside the base instead of outside

everyone else always has the walls on the outside, just wondering if this works too. if there's some reason this is unsafe, i'll remake the bottom

thanks so much for your help!

The plus side is they won't chew the coroplast. If they pee in a corner or your water bottle leaks on the grids, they can rust if the metal is exposed. I don't think that's a big issue, though. I'm sure it doesn't matter to your guinea pigs and it looks nice.

I agree that it should be fine. I could see the bottom connectors getting a bit icky if poo gets squished in there, but you could always snap them out and soak them every now and then. It looks nice :)

i'm so relieved i didn't have to remake the bottom! Putting wire grids inside chloroplast bottom?finished product!

Wow that is a narrow cage! I was thinking of doing one like this, but instead I found room! Nice cage though!

That's not a 4x2 cage. It's barely 4x1, and it's not really large enough for two pigs.

it's not very narrow, it is 1.5 across. that's why i did 1.5 x 4 instead of 1.5 x 3. 1.5 x 4 is the same surface area as a 3x2, which is what everyone has been saying is the minimum for both 1 and 2 pigs. just so happens my space was longer rather than wider.

That cage is only 6.6 sq.ft. Not big enough for 2 pigs.

The grid on the side is only 17". Based on the size of the grid plus the 2 squares.

Guinea pigs not only need large cage, they should be able to run laps. Narrow cages do not provide them the space to run laps.

but i only have 1 pig

Even one pig needs space to run.
7.5 sq.ft is the recommended size.

Since you already have the grids, can't you make it a full 2 grid wide?

no i can't, she is on my dresser and i made the cage to take up the entire length and width of my dresser. I have a roommate who is not comfortable with having her in the living room and the only place she would fit in the kitchen is on the table. I don't have the money to loft my bed or get a bunk bed, so this is the best i can do

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.