Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Cage size question. Please help!

Tora Tora

Cavy Slave
So we've been discussing all day as a family as to where are we going to put the piggy in.
There are no good cages in Albania, let alone C&C cages so I have emptied 2 large drawers but the largest one is very non-practical because it's on top of my bed and we can't even see the piggy unless we climb on the bed, so that sucks because the size is great.
The other one is very very practical but the size doesn't convince me, it's about 45cmx50cm :/
I repeat, there are no large cages here anywhere and it sucks. C&C cages are unheard of so the only option is a homemade enclosure for my girl.

What do I do? Is the 45x50 enough for her? If I put in all of her stuff(a house, the dishes and the litter box) there is about half of all the size empty for her to roam. I intend to take her out of the enclosure for at least 4 hours everyday and she will get all the possible attention because on a normal day we're 4 people home and luckily my mother and grandmother adore her.

It's her first day in and I am currently keeping her on the large drawer(they are without doors so it's an open space that I've closed so she doesn't fall off).
She also started popcorning like crazy today, I laughed so bad at that :p

So all in all she'll stay in her place at night and when I'm busy or when people are over, the other times she will remain in my bed, or on the bathroom(there's no place to get stuck there).
What do I do? I think I might go with the small drawer :/
Or should I make a large cardboard enclosure with coroplast under so she doesn't chew on it? I will make the cardboard with some thick cardboard and at the size of at least 100x40 cm. Is this a better idea?
So sorry for the long post!

Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, but that cage is nowhere nearly large enough for her. One guinea pig needs at least 7.5 square feet (76x91 cm), and yours is less than half as big as it needs to be. The 40x100 size would be much better, but still not large enough.

You don't have to use grids. You just need something to support the sides of the cage. If you can get coroplast (much better than cardboard), you could build a wooden frame to support the sides of the cage and make it as large as it needs to be. Or you might be able to get closet shelving where you are -- it makes a great cage. There are plenty of pictures of cages of closet shelving in the photo gallery under C&C alternatives.

Tora Tora

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, but that cage is nowhere nearly large enough for her. One guinea pig needs at least 7.5 square feet (76x91 cm), and yours is less than half as big as it needs to be. The 40x100 size would be much better, but still not large enough.

You don't have to use grids. You just need something to support the sides of the cage. If you can get coroplast (much better than cardboard), you could build a wooden frame to support the sides of the cage and make it as large as it needs to be. Or you might be able to get closet shelving where you are -- it makes a great cage. There are plenty of pictures of cages of closet shelving in the photo gallery under C&C alternatives.

Thank you! Now my family can finally be convinced that the drawer is too small -.-'
I will make a cardboard enclosure(there are these very thick and hard carboard boxes) covered with coroplast on the inside so she won't chew at it.
It's the best option.
Thanks a lot.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Take a look at this gallery.

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.