Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Midwest midwest cage - are they any good?

kayelljay

Cavy Slave
I spent a lot of time looking for a new cage for my guinea pig, Lola. I wanted to get a C&C cage but they seems to be quite expensive in England (or seem to be everywhere ive looked, including ebay!) I decided to buy a midwest cage as its was more affordable. I have read what people have said, there have been a lot of good comments about them, but a lot of bad too. Im just wondering what everyones experiences have been with midwest cages, are they actually any good?
I currently only have 1 guinea pig, but I'm going to get another in a couple of weeks which Im really excited about :) Im fully aware of quarantine period etc.
Thought id include a picture of my guinea too
DSC_0103.JPG this is Lola :)

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
midwest cages are the next best alternatives for a C&C or C&C-type cage :) remember that you can build such cages out of playpen grids or wire closet shelving too! 20130331_201919.jpg

kayelljay

Cavy Slave
Oh wow, your cage is amazing! I love the lighting too, its looks so nice and cosy. Im hoping to build my own with grids and stuff when I move next year as my place now isnt the biggest so I dont have a great deal of space to make the cage I want. Hopefully the midwest one will be good enough until then. How many guinea pigs do you have? They must love living in there :)

Scooterpig

Cavy Slave
I have midwest cages. They're okay, but I'd suggest placing them on a solid surface rather than carpet to make cleaning easier. I've added a coroplast layer in the base of the cage too. I have two pigs in each cage.

With a bit of creativity, you can expand them too - I've just expanded my girls' cage and am planning to start on the boys' cage tomorrow. They were happy enough, but I wanted to give them more playing space. I've been taking pictures as I go, I'll get them posted on here later this week. I might choose to add an upper layer later on too, though that's a project for a later date.

I'm a Brit who now lives in the US, so I know how tricky getting cubes and coroplast can be in the UK. I bought cubes in Argos years ago, and I'd check out B&Q for coroplast (or corrugated plastic as it's probably known back home).

Last edited:

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a 2 x 4 c&c cage and a midwest cage. Big difference. Midwest is pretty flimsy. I just use it when I need to clean out her home otherwise get a c&c cage.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
And I fall on the other side. I much prefer the Midwest over C&C. I find them easy to set up, move, rearrange, clean. I can even toss the liner into the wash machine if I want. I love them.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Try this: (broken link removed)
£24.85

(broken link removed)
£3.98

kayelljay

Cavy Slave
Well my midwest cage is getting delivered today, im quite excited :D I think im gonna have the midwest until I move next year to a bigger place then may consider getting a C&C cage when I have more space to be creative

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.