Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Underweight Pig

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
We went to the local pet store yesterday afternoon to browse and see what they had (we just moved to the area about a month ago). My boys (3 & 1 yrs) and I were looking around and spotted a guinea pig. She ran up to the front of the cage looking for some attention (she was by herself). The poor thing was in the most disgusting cage, no hay, old pellets, overgrown nails, and very poor body condition. I had to buy her, I couldn't leave her there.

Brought her home and you can definitely see her hip/pelvis bones and feel her spine, but she has a huge belly. She has been eating and drinking a ton.
I am wondering what I can do to help her gain weight? I'm trying to upload a pic of her, not sure if it will work from my phone.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just feed her a good quality pellet (no nuts or colored bits in it), good long strand grass hay (timothy, blue, brome, meadow, orchard), and a cup or so of veggies every day. Since she's malnourished, she'd probably benefit from a vitamin C supplement for a while. You put the food down, she'll take care of the weight gain!

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
We are feeding a Timothy based pellet (no fruity things or bright colors or nuts) that has vitamin c in it, Timothy hay, romaine lettuce, carrots, apples (no seeds, just slices).

Attachments

393E2F73-B441-44D2-9EC1-EC396E0A020C-6503-00000665E33AD0A2_zps232016c4.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need to read the following chart: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html.

Fruit should be only an occasional treat -- it has too much sugar in it to be fed daily, and it can upset the balance of bacteria in the pig's digestive tract. If you notice white spots where the pigs urine dries, then stop feeding romaine and switch to red or green leaf lettuce. Your pig needs bell pepper every day -- it's an excellent source of vitamin C and fiber. Carrots should be restricted to a small chunk per day.

Other good veggies to feed are tomatoes, summer squash, corn husks and silks, occasional servings of chopped celery, green beans, and herbs such as parsley and cilantro. You can feed occasional leaves of kale or spinach, but they're too high in oxalates to be fed often. Your two young pigs need half a cup or more of veggies each day, and that amount should increase as they grow to a cup or more per day. But you don't want to feed them so much food that they ignore their hay -- it's the most important thing in their diets, and they should have access to it at all times.

That pig might be pregnant. Weigh her daily and record her weights so you'll know how much she's gaining. If she is, you'll be able to feel pups moving at around six weeks.

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks :) We just got her last night so shes only had a small amount of veggies. Hay is available at all times, the poor thing had nothing in the cage at the pet store. I don't do fruits too much- few times a week (Ive had pigs on and off since middle school). We have tomatoes here now so I can go give her some. I can pick up a bell pepper tomorrow at the store.

I was afraid she may be preggo. She was the only one in the cage, but her nipples are very large and she hates her stomach being felt (I was trying to feel for any babies, no luck because she hates it).
Thanks for the info :D

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
Update on the pig (still no name). She is such a PIG lol! Loves Cilantro, green bell pepper, tomato, carrot. She doesn't like to share any of it with our other pig (who's name is PIG, my 3 yr old named her). I'm going to upload a pic of her that I took the other day. I tried to feel around her stomach for any signs of babies but I still don't feel anything (maybe too early?).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.