PDA

View Full Version : new to forums and somewhat new to guinea pigs

Littlepigletman
09-20-13, 10:22 pm
I just got my first guinea 3 weeks ago i did however research on diets and cages befor i got one the only thing i didnt see was on how they r better in pairs so now i bought a second one is a 3 week old or 4 week old baby from the person who thought she had two females instead of a breeding pair so i got another little man to go with my other man and he is in quarantine but i cant put him in a separate room but they r n separate cages and his eyes and nose and ears look fine i know long post sorry im now worried. i just read its best to have them in separate rooms but cant to curious of dogs... sorry again for the long post

Littlepigletman
09-20-13, 10:24 pm
Hi im Nora i am 24 and in college and own two little male guinea pigs who are adorable i just got my second one today so my first one can have a friend, my first ones name is piglet and the second one is tiger.

Dessypoobear
09-20-13, 10:32 pm
What cute piggie names :) Welcome to the forum hope to see pictures of Piglet and Tiger soon!

Littlepigletman
09-20-13, 10:58 pm
Thank you and hello and also i have my new little man quarantined but at the same time i dont have a separate room to put him in but he is in another cage is this OK im worried.

Dessypoobear
09-20-13, 11:01 pm
As long a Tiger has a different cage and no way of having contact with Piglet it should be okay. Just make sure Tiger can't kick any bedding into Piglet's cage and you should be okay!

Aleks
09-20-13, 11:46 pm
The main point of quarantine is to prevent the spreading of airborne illness, which is why it should be in separate rooms.
Your old pig has already been exposed to anything the new one has -if he has anything at all- so it would be pointless to quarantine in separate rooms now anyways.
Keep an eye on them and watch for any signs of illness from either pig: http://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html
Make sure to weigh them weekly on a scale that measures in grams/ozs, preferably at the same time of day and before breakfast, as a drop in weight is usually the first sign of illness. http://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

CavyMama
09-21-13, 12:46 am
As long a Tiger has a different cage and no way of having contact with Piglet it should be okay. Just make sure Tiger can't kick any bedding into Piglet's cage and you should be okay!

Aleks is correct. Quarantine is meant to be in separate rooms for a reason. Quarantine is to prevent airbourne illness. Having the two in the same room makes quarantine pointless.

Littlepigletman - You can go ahead and introduce your pigs since they're been exposed to each other. What size cage do you have? Two males will need a little bit more space than two females would.

CavyMama
09-21-13, 01:54 am
Littlepigletman - I merged your two threads rather than having two separate threads about essentially the same thing.

Littlepigletman
09-21-13, 03:03 pm
i have a cnc cage 3 long 2 wide

Littlepigletman
09-21-13, 04:03 pm
ill plan on expanding my next check to a bit bigger need some more grid:o

Littlepigletman
09-22-13, 12:32 am
well i introduced them in neutral area and cleaned the big cage and in the end both r happy with one another and doing fine talking with one another but no other signs no nipping or chasing one another just chilling and talking

CavyMama
09-22-13, 12:55 am
A 2X3 is not big enough, especially for 2 males. 2 males will need at least a 2X5 or you may end up with some squabbles.

MommaOfFour
09-24-13, 10:50 am
A 2X3 is not big enough, especially for 2 males. 2 males will need at least a 2X5 or you may end up with some squabbles.

well from the posts it seems like a cage expansion is already in planning and just waiting for some pay checks - so definitely on the right path it seems ;)

welcome to the forum Littlepigletman! you should post some pics of your piggies :)