PDA

View Full Version : Sneezing Sneezing with mucous, URI?

JustMom
09-20-13, 11:23 am
I have a young guinea pig I purchased from Petsmart that seemed healthy for the first few days. He then developed runny eyes and a runny nose. I took him in to the vet, but I live in a small town without an exotic animal vet and his knowledge is limited. He gave Smoothie a shot of Baytril, but it didn't help. I took him back a couple of days later and he was given another shot of Baytril, eye drops, and I had two oral doses of Baytril. His eyes are cleared up and he has always mantained an awesome apetite and is very happy, but he is still sneezing yucky stuff. I have changed his bedding (using CareFresh paper/pulp), tried a different brand of Timothy hay, and put paper towels in for him to sleep on. He goes back to the vet this afternoon. Any other suggestions for what I should try? He really wants to hang out with his buddy Nibbles, but I need to get him well first! Thanks for any suggestions. (BTW Nibbles was adopted from someone in my hometown that needed to find homes for some babies, not from Petsmart.)

Inle_Rabbit
09-20-13, 11:34 am
If he still has symptoms he needs to go back to the vet. When my guinea pig had an URI he was given a 10 day course of baytril for me to give him at home.

JustMom
09-20-13, 11:52 am
He already has an appointment this afternoon. I had also read that Baytril isn't recommended for young/baby guinea pigs? While I'm not sure how old he is, he is definitely a baby still. I had found a link that recommended Bactrim instead? We lost the other one I bought with him so I'm trying to stay on top of it with vet care.

Inle_Rabbit
09-20-13, 12:54 pm
I wish I could help more but I am not one of the medical experts around here. Based on my experience, though, he should have some sort of oral antibiotic coming home with him. I wish him and you the best of luck in his recovery.

ajweekley
09-20-13, 01:13 pm
I agree, he probably needs an oral antibiotic with him. And talk to the vet about side effects and loss of appetite. We just lost our Max earlier this week (another Petsmart dude) to a URI that he brought home with him from the store. We didn't recognize the symptoms at first, but looking back and comparing him to healthy piggies he definitely had it the first day. Antibiotics can cause a loss of appetite, leading to GI stasis and potentially death. Talk to the vet about hand feeding and making sure your guy stays healthy during the treatment. I hope he responds well to the antibiotic and pulls out of this.

MommaOfFour
09-23-13, 10:04 am
I have a young guinea pig I purchased from Petsmart that seemed healthy for the first few days. He then developed runny eyes and a runny nose. I took him in to the vet, but I live in a small town without an exotic animal vet and his knowledge is limited. He gave Smoothie a shot of Baytril, but it didn't help. I took him back a couple of days later and he was given another shot of Baytril, eye drops, and I had two oral doses of Baytril. His eyes are cleared up and he has always mantained an awesome apetite and is very happy, but he is still sneezing yucky stuff. I have changed his bedding (using CareFresh paper/pulp), tried a different brand of Timothy hay, and put paper towels in for him to sleep on. He goes back to the vet this afternoon. Any other suggestions for what I should try? He really wants to hang out with his buddy Nibbles, but I need to get him well first! Thanks for any suggestions. (BTW Nibbles was adopted from someone in my hometown that needed to find homes for some babies, not from Petsmart.)

My husband and I got our guinea pigs from a Petsmart as well.... and one of them came home with a fungal thing on his skin causing him to lose hair on that particular spot and the skin drying up. our petsmart has a animal hospital included (Banfield or something like that) so we took him there and got a thorough checkup, a shot and "lotion" to apply at home for FREE. that being said, this all happened within the first couple weeks of having the piggy. when we got the pigiges we were told that if anything was wrong with them the first 2-3 weeks to come in and get treatment for free. they said they do that because even though the check the piggies before the sell them, sometimes they come home with things that dont show symptoms until later. you can say all you want about how bad petstores are but the employees at our petsmart actually do seem to care about their animals, partner with the animal hospital and a local shelter helping them to adopt out cats.

of course I dont know what your petsmart is like but I would call them and ask if they have similar service for you and your piggy!

JustMom
09-23-13, 10:53 am
My husband and I got our guinea pigs from a Petsmart as well.... and one of them came home with a fungal thing on his skin causing him to lose hair on that particular spot and the skin drying up. our petsmart has a animal hospital included (Banfield or something like that) so we took him there and got a thorough checkup, a shot and "lotion" to apply at home for FREE. that being said, this all happened within the first couple weeks of having the piggy. when we got the pigiges we were told that if anything was wrong with them the first 2-3 weeks to come in and get treatment for free. they said they do that because even though the check the piggies before the sell them, sometimes they come home with things that dont show symptoms until later. you can say all you want about how bad petstores are but the employees at our petsmart actually do seem to care about their animals, partner with the animal hospital and a local shelter helping them to adopt out cats.

of course I dont know what your petsmart is like but I would call them and ask if they have similar service for you and your piggy!

I did call the Petsmart where I bought them. It is an hour and a half drive there from where I live. They told me to bring him back and they would refund my money. They would get him vet care and when he was better I would have the option of buying him back again. The poor little guy had already been through a lot with being brought to a new home, losing his buddy, and being sick on top of it that I chose to save the added stress on him and took him to the local vet myself. I spoke with some of the employees when we were looking at the guinea pigs, and I would say that it sounds like your Petsmart is a much friendlier place! I will not stop shopping there, but may not buy any more small animals. They do help adopt cats and provide an outlet for a few different dog shelters to bring out adoptable animals.

JustMom
09-23-13, 10:57 am
The vet sent me home with 5 doses of Baytril. So far, his appetite is still great and he takes his medicine very well. Two doses left and hopefully he will be all good again! He is such a little sweetheart.

ajweekley
09-23-13, 11:34 am
How are his symptoms?

JustMom
09-23-13, 12:01 pm
He seems to be feeling good, but then he never really acted sick. He attacked his breakfast this morning. I haven't noticed the mucous since Saturday, but he did sneeze a couple of times last night. Whether the sneezing was normal or not, now I'm just paranoid! Thanks for asking! :)

JustMom
09-25-13, 11:06 am
Ugh, five days of Baytril and he is STILL sneezing and has a clicky sounding and wet nose. He is popcorning all over his cage and eating great, though, so I'm not sure what to think!

ThePigAlchemist
09-25-13, 11:09 am
I think a URI usually takes more than five days of antibiotics to clear up. I would call the vet and ask for more Baytril. I think the standard is two weeks.

JustMom
09-25-13, 11:14 am
I still have a few doses left in the container so I can continue it. At least his appetite has held up! Poor little guy!

bpatters
09-25-13, 11:24 am
The vet may be limiting Baytril because this is a young pig, Or not, since he's not an exotic vet. If you can get hold of a nebulizer (they can be rented from some pharmacies, I believe), I'd ask about a nebulized medication that would actually get into the respiratory tract.

URIs can be problems in young pigs because Baytril can stunt their growth. But again, there's no way it's better to have a dead pig than a stunted one, so if I couldn't get a nebulizer, I'd be asking to try doxycycline with the Baytril.

You'll probably need to hand feed, and you'll definitely need a probiotic. Plain acidophilus or kyodophilus will do.