Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size 1.5x3.5? Its all i have room for!

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Will a piggy fit?

Hello!

I was wondering about an upper level in a 2x3 cage. If I make it so that there is a loft half way up the grid, will the pigs be able to fit under it! It would be a 1x2 loft 1/2 way up the grid.

It would be sort of like this cage setup in the link, but with a larger loft and the ramp in the middle so the gp could run laps around.

(broken link removed)

- rsgymjam (hopefully a future piggy owner!)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Re: Will a piggy fit?

How many pigs are you thinking about adopting? A 2X3 cage is a bit on the small size for more than one pig, even with a loft.

As for the loft being too low, is there a reason you want to make it half way up on the grids? Why not make the loft start at the top of the grids.

The link didn't lead to pictures of upper levels.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave

How many pigs are you thinking about adopting? A 2X3 cage is a bit on the small size for more than one pig, even with a loft.

As for the loft being too low, is there a reason you want to make it half way up on the grids? Why not make the loft start at the top of the grids.

The link didn't lead to pictures of upper levels.
this is because I don't have a lot of space up and down. Should I just not do a loft??

I want my pigs to have as much room as possible in a cage to run laps, so I could probably make it 2x4 without a loft?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave

Yes a 2X4 would be a much better choice. As for the pigs, with a 2X4, I would go with females over males as two males would be better suited for a 2X5 or larger.

Traysea

Cavy Slave

You can do it half way up the grid, it's called a patio in the cage store: https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/piggy-patios

If you can do a 2x4, bigger is always better. I'd do both a 2x4 and a patio and/or loft because, hey why not. :eek:)

A nice way to do the patio would be with the miracle bars on the cage site, (or you can use wood dowels) but the miracle bars are nice because they are flat they have holes in them if you want to tie wrap the bars on. Because you are not using grids, you can easily lift the base out and reach in, so you can get under the patio to clean. I have seen a few cages done with patios and some with both a loft and a patio as well. Someone on this forum made one long exterior ramp to reach each level in the cage so it doesn't take any floor space.

The lower height on the patio makes the ramp less steep so it's easier for the pigs to climb up them. And also it makes the space more private which they like for kitchen and potty areas.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave

@Traysea
I will most likely to be able to do 4 across, but maybe 1.5 grids wide? Its better than the minimum square footage!!! (I think???) I just don't quite have enough room for two grids across. :( (heck, its also better than a ridiculous pet store cage.)
Do you think I could get something like miracle bars at Menards or Fleet Farm? (Local hardware stores)
And also- what kind of fancy tool do you use to cut grids????( to make an outside ramp)

Traysea

Cavy Slave

Are you asking about the loft being a 1.5 x 4 or the cage base? If you mean the whole cage, most of the people on this site are going to say the minimum width should be 2 grids wide. Can you measure your space and see what the exact dimensions are of the area you want to put the cage? Maybe if you do tie wrapped grids and no connectors you could fit 2 grids across if you are only short by a little bit... Also, you don't need to cut the grids to make the cage narrower, you just overlap them how ever you need to and then cable tie them together. If you absolutely can't fit more than a 1.5 x 4 sized cage, then a this site suggests a single loner female (a female who does not like to be with other pigs) would be better than a male. Or two already bonded small females would probably work. Some pigs are much bigger than others. This site wouldn't recommend trying to put two boys in such a narrow cage. I have seen plenty of people on other lists house bonded boys this way in smaller cages though. I think it really depends on the pigs.

If you are saying you want to do the loft the longer way and make that 1.5x4 I think that would be pretty cool, a bit more time to clean because your loft tray will be pretty big and kinda awkward. As for wonder bars, so far as I know the only place that sells them is the cage site. They are 7.99 each and come in black and white:

https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/candc-wonder-bars#.UjWscRafdhA

I really, really like them but if you prefer to shop locally...Then you would probably have to look around and see what you can find. Most likely it would need to be wood instead. You might be able to run wood the long way across (so it is a little longer than 4 grids wide) and still have it be stable, you would probably need thicker wood or wider dowels to do it that way.

If you are ok with ordering from the cage store website, I will suggest that you look into their coroplast bases and they can also custom make you the loft. Their shipping seems to be about the same for the wonder bars and for bases. I really like ordering bases from them because they do a really nice job cutting and scoring. I would start with their bases and when you need to replace it use that for a template for any replacement bases you need. Also, I highly suggest using velcro to do the flaps on the base instead of tape because then you can open it up and clean out the corners if you need to.

As for cutting the grids, I haven't done it before so maybe someone else can answer that. If I was going to cut my grids I would use wire cutters for the inside thinner wire and a saw for the thicker wire. Possible tin snips could cut it but I don't know. If you have the space to do it, putting the ramp across the back makes it the least steep.

littlenme

Cavy Slave

I have a loft like you described, half way up the grids with a middle ramp sized 1 x 2. It has a grid roof and i place a towel on the roof so it is a large hidey and my girls love it. That said floor sq footage is more important then loft space and I believe and someone more experienced here can confrim that the width of at lest 2 grid minimum wide is very important. But here is a pic of my set up hopefully you can see the loft setup as you can add it into what ever you build, just don't count it as sq footage towards the recommended sizes.Use your floor space to calculate that.
010.jpg

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave

Hello all-

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I'm stuck. I only have room for a 1.5 by 3.5 grid cage MAX. I really want the best for the pigs if I get some, but I just don't know what to do. Believe me- I KNOW it is NOT the preferred cage size for 2 but it is pretty darn close to the minimum. It would honestly take every inch of space I have to put them.
Would this be acceptable?
If it is, then what cage setup is better? littlenme has a picture of what I was trying to explain in my first post. Or I could experiment with grids to obtain the most running around space.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Hello all-

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I'm stuck. I only have room for a 1.5 by 3.5 grid cage MAX. I really want the best for the pigs if I get some, but I just don't know what to do. Believe me- I KNOW it is NOT the preferred cage size for 2 but it is pretty darn close to the minimum. It would honestly take every inch of space I have to put them. Would this be acceptable? If it is, then what cage setup is better? littlenme has a picture of what I was trying to explain in my first post. Or I could experiment with grids to obtain the most running around space.

-rsgymjam

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
The inside measurement would only be 7 square feet, and 7.5 really is the bare minimum & too small for most pigs in the long run.
Can you move things around in your home & find a better location for an appropriately sized cage?

shc1192

Cavy Slave
Hello all-

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I'm stuck. I only have room for a 1.5 by 3.5 grid cage MAX. I really want the best for the pigs if I get some, but I just don't know what to do. Believe me- I KNOW it is NOT the preferred cage size for 2 but it is pretty darn close to the minimum. It would honestly take every inch of space I have to put them. Would this be acceptable? If it is, then what cage setup is better? littlenme has a picture of what I was trying to explain in my first post. Or I could experiment with grids to obtain the most running around space.

-rsgymjam

Are you sure there's absolutely no way to have a bigger cage? My family lives in a small apartment and my guinea pigs are in my bedroom but today I moved my furniture around and even though my family wasn't sure it could be done I was able to upgrade to a cage that's over 12 square feet and has a loft!
If you really honestly can't possibly have a bigger cage than 7 square feet, I don't suggest having a smaller than minimum cage so maybe you should wait on getting guinea pigs. I previously had an 8 square foot cage for my 2 boars and it was not big enough; two hideys (hiding places are a must) took up a lot of the space and once Brego hit puberty they suddenly started fighting and there was bloodshed and they had to be separated for a few days. Granted boars need more room, but any gender will fight with not enough space. Today in the bigger cage they have been popcorning and running laps and even cuddling! Guinea pigs are definitely happiest with more space.

Shelbz

Cavy Slave
Is half a grid extra either way really going to be too taxing on your space? 2 x 4 CC is definitely the bare minimum I could have for my two boars (and I have a loft, too!), and I'll be expanding as soon as I'm able to; shc was right in that, once hiding houses etc are in, there's not a huge amount of space left. If you don't have enough space, even after a revamp of your furniture etc, maybe you should consider putting them in a different room?

Remember that the beauty of CC cages are that they are customizable- you can have an L shaped one, you can create a stand so that storage can be put underneath the cage- etc. You should be able to find a way to make the cage suitable for at least one room in the house! Hope this helps.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I removed my dining room table and keep them in there. We eat in our kitchen. You could even keep them in your living room.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Well, My dresser in my room is not wide enough: only 22 inches. It is 54 inches long, thus making my space to have my guinea pigs 1.5 grids by 3.5 grids. I would like to keep them in my room so that I can close my door if needed against the kittys. :/

The cage would take up the ENTIRE dresser. I could do without a loft if necessary, but I plan anyways to have a 2x4 playpen to put them in after school each day for a while- (door closed against kittys, and still supervised.)

Is there anything else I could do? I really trust your opinions.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could have the cage hang off the dresser in the back if you pull the dresser away from the wall and add a wood or grid brace to the overhang behind it if you have to. half a grid is only 7" :eek:)

Traysea

Cavy Slave
lol great minds think alike.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
I removed my dining room table and keep them in there. We eat in our kitchen. You could even keep them in your living room.

this is pretty much what we do too except we eat on the couch in the living room lol
I had a dining room set in my old apartment and I always used the desk for anything but eating so this time around, we didn't even bother to get a dining room set ^^

Traysea

Cavy Slave

For me personally.. a 1.5 x 3.5 wouldn't stop me from getting one pig, but I don't think I would get two. I would adopt a loner pig and not try to do two. I would also adopt a female pig on the smaller side. I might also try to do a two story cage so that the bottom was for running and the top was for food and toys etc.

Reading your other post it sounds like the only reason you think you are limited to a 1.5 x 3.5 is because you want to put the cage on your dresser. So like I said in the other post, can just pull the dresser away from the wall a few inches and let the cage hang over in the back.

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave

@Traysea

So many people have advised me not to get a single pig- but you are saying that its okay to get a loner. I'm a bit confused...
I could probable do a two story cage though!!! Would I then be able to get two?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.