Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hot day today

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
It's supposed to be the hottest day today. I'm really worrying because on Monday one of my guinea pigs died because of the heat. It's going to be even hotter today so I want to make sure I can do as much as I can to keep them all cool. I'll put their run out in the shade. I've got some frozen bottles prepared in the freezer. What else is there to do??

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Two of my treasured pigs died from heat stroke (NEVER TRUSTING MY SISTER AGAIN... "The sun shifted" what the hell kind of excuse is that?? She put them 2m away from where they usually were when I cleaned the cage!).
Do you have any air-con anywhere? I would suggest putting them in there if you are allowed. My mum wouldn't let me... She says they stink, but I am allowed to take them inside just not in the good air conditioned rooms!
Ask other people, I am a bit of a loser when it comes to suggestions.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I haven't got any air conditioning but we do have a fan that I can use. I've lost two guinea pigs due to heat, they are not used to heat as in the UK it's not normally boiling so when the boiling days do come I guess they come as a shock for the poor piggers. My guinea pigs do live in the shed, but it doesn't get any hotter in there than anywhere else.

Da_3_mad_pigs

Cavy Slave
have you got any big fans in the house, mabey you could keep thm in there c&c cage with a fan outside it curculating the air?

Da_3_mad_pigs

Cavy Slave
when it was really hot in the uk before I put my pigs ouside in the run, with lots of waterbottles and changed the water everycouple of hours to keep it cold, I also put lots of hidey houses in there run. In the run you have does it have one end where there is shade(like a roof over a part of it?) if not then put a jumper or something over one end to keep the sun out?:)

Last edited:
piggiepigs
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Da_3_mad_pigs

Cavy Slave
Is the whole of the uk suppose to be really hot, because I live in wiltshire and it isnt that sunny over her?:(

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I have a shadey spot in the garden so I won't have to put a lid or a jumper on it. The sides also create some shade as the sun isn't directly above the garden. So no matter where I put it, there is always shadelol

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
mad guinea pigs said:
Is the whole of the uk suppose to be really hot, because I live in wiltshire and it isnt that sunny over her?:(
I don't know. My mum & dad just told me it was going to be hot. They told me because they know that heat can be fatal for guinea pigs.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I would make sure they have some type of cooling system. If you can get a bucket of ice and sit it in front of a fan and let the fan blow the cool air toward them but not directly on them. Make sure they have plenty of frozen water bottles wrapped in towels, cool bricks (if you have them), change their water bottles out with cool water every couple of hours so they don't have to drink real hot water and make sure they are constantly in the shade.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Ok, well we have got through the day fine. I hope it won't be hot tomorrow:crazy:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.