Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Swollen leg and paw!

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hey all!

As I was doing my full cage cleanings this morning I noticed Wrigley limping. I picked him up right away and saw that his front leg and paw was swollen.
He also has a few nips on his nose area so I am guessing this leg injury was because he was running away from a fight with his cage mate Badger.
Right now Wrigley is in a 1x2 cage to limit his movement and is on Metacam for the pain. My vet is awesome and always gives me the big bottle since I have so many pigs.

I was going to take him to the vet asap but then checked my bank account. It says otherwise, btw. :( We have had several things come up this month and it has been rough. Every time any of the animals have to go to the vet, we always do so and we pull through. We have had a vet fund in the past but right now it has been all sucked up.

If he gets worse by tomorrow it's out to the vet tomorrow for sure. I would prefer to wait for Monday when my vet will be in but if his leg gets worse I will have to take him in to the ER clinic.

Any thoughts would be amazing as I am feeling horrible right now. I just want one solid week of healthy, happy animals. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

My 3 Sons

Cavy Slave
Hopefully it is just minor inflammation & not an abscess......since you have been a regular client, maybe you can ask the Vet. if you can pay in 3 installments...... very best of luck with him.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Hopefully it is just minor inflammation & not an abscess......since you have been a regular client, maybe you can ask the Vet. if you can pay in 3 installments...... very best of luck with him.

His leg and paw is swollen. No abscess that I can see or feel. My regular vet opens on Monday and I will for sure be taking him in then. If he gets worse by Sunday I will have to take him in to the ER vet. The ER vet does NOT take payments. Believe me, I've tried that when Guinness got bloat and had a $980 bill. My regular vet is very reasonably priced and will do everything she can to help out with payments. Thanks!

Artista

Cavy Slave
Hoping all will be ok!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I would take him in. I lost a rabbit, in my younger unexperienced years, to a swollen paw misdiagnosed as a broken paw. It was really a massive infection that did not abscess. It caused sepsis and the rabbit did not make it. Examine his foot and leg carefully if you even think there is a cut take him in.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I would take him in. I lost a rabbit, in my younger unexperienced years, to a swollen paw misdiagnosed as a broken paw. It was really a massive infection that did not abscess. It caused sepsis and the rabbit did not make it. Examine his foot and leg carefully if you even think there is a cut take him in.

I double checked again and there is a teeny tiny cut on the paw. I will be taking him in once hubby gets home. Thanks for the help! I certainly don't want to lose him!! :(

[MENTION=27627]Artista[/MENTION], thank you!

Swiss cheese

Cavy Slave
Any news? Sending your piggie good thoughts!

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=28848]Swiss cheese[/MENTION], I have an appointment at 2pm today. I called another vet that is known to be good with pigs. I have been there before with my other pig but wasn't very pleased with them.. I am going to try to get antibiotics for him today then call my vet tomorrow morning. I will keep you all posted!

[MENTION=19358]Inle_Rabbit[/MENTION], what antibotic's should I be trying to get? I have plenty of Baytril and Bactrim, wondering if I should just start him on that for now.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Use the Baytril. Bactrim is more effective for urinary tract infections. Baytril works on a broader spectrum of bacteria.

natsmom26

Cavy Slave
Is the inflammation hot to the touch? I know that when my daughter developed an infection in her leg from a cut it was quite hot to the touch. I assume that would hold true in piggys.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Is the inflammation hot to the touch? I know that when my daughter developed an infection in her leg from a cut it was quite hot to the touch. I assume that would hold true in piggys.

It does seem hot to the touch. :/ I have given him the Baytril and pain meds. I am just waiting until my vet gets in tomorrow. No point in going in to the other vet just to get Baytril when I already have it here.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Poor pig! I hope the vet can shed some light on what is going on.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then I'd get some Epsom salts and soak the foot and leg. You'll have to be very careful not to let him ingest any of it, or lick his paw/leg while the stuff is still on there. And be especially careful not to let him get it in his eyes as it can damage them. You'll have to rinse very well.

A jar lid or a ramekin make good soaking tubs for a pig foot. The ratio of salts to water is 1/8 tsp to 1/2 cup.

Are his feet red? This might be the beginning of bumblefoot rather than an injury.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Then I'd get some Epsom salts and soak the foot and leg. You'll have to be very careful not to let him ingest any of it, or lick his paw/leg while the stuff is still on there. And be especially careful not to let him get it in his eyes as it can damage them. You'll have to rinse very well.

A jar lid or a ramekin make good soaking tubs for a pig foot. The ratio of salts to water is 1/8 tsp to 1/2 cup.

Are his feet red? This might be the beginning of bumblefoot rather than an injury.

I was wondering if the salt would help him. Thanks! His feet are not red. I will try to post a picture in a bit. I don't believe it is the start of bumblefoot, but I could be wrong.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
wrig.jpgwrig3.jpgwrig2.jpg [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION], here are pictures. He wasn't a fan of being on his back but is happily snuggling with me and giving piggy kisses right now. Pardon my dog, Asia, in the background. She is photo bombing his cute picture!

natsmom26

Cavy Slave
I don't know about his leg...............but I totally love how he has white nose, lip, and leg on one side and black on the other.

My 3 Sons

Cavy Slave
Wrigley looks like a sweet little boy, I like his features.
I believe with the antibiotics, that you have to give it to them for 10 days or more for it to overcome the bacterial infection.
And if you quit early the infection can become resistant to the medicine & get worse.....
you may already know this but I just put it out there for anyone else.
I Hope all goes well for him.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Thanks! He will for sure be on them long enough. I always finish their rounds of meds. My vet just gives me more then needed for emergency situations. I am taking him in tomorrow for sure. Will keep you all posted.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Update on Wrigley:

Went to my vet yesterday. She believe he broke something. She told me that we could do an x-ray but that wouldn't change the treatment plan. I decided against it.
I mentioned the paw being warm to the touch and was told swelling is normally that way. I got more antibiotics for him just in case.

Limiting his movement and meds for now. Hoping he gets better soon, I know he is miserable right now. :(

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Wrigley is still so swollen. I feel horrible for him. I think I will be going back to the vet soon to get the x-ray. I read a bunch of stuff online saying that some pigs have to have their leg amputated if it doesn't heal correctly. :(
[MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION], what are your thoughts on this? I don't want him to hurt anymore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.