Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Need some help with loft design!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I just recently finished my 4X5 cage for my four boys. They are doing so good together! Minimal teeth chattering (my boys are super fiesty!) and they have pretty much accepted their roles without major incident! Now I want to expand up. I plan to build them a loft. However, I'm debating on how big of a loft I should build! I don't want it to be HUGE as I plan to put woodshavings in it to make it into a kitchen type area. Would a 1X4 loft be ok? I plan to have two ramps. Or should I shoot for a 2X5 loft instead? I'd prefer doing the 1X4 but if they will fight then I don't want that! Or would it be better to make it 1X5 and do it down the length of the cage?! Please help me! What is your experience if you have a larger cage.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
They get cleaned out often. I have considered a 2X4 loft but I don't have enough room to offset it. I'm looking into litter box options as the Uhaul pad does not seem absorbent enough.

chas25

Cavy Slave
what about a 2x3 loft? that would be plenty big enough for a kitchen without making it too big for the shavings...also you might want to try the wood pellets I get mine from lowes and its $5.30 for a 40lb bag which lasts me 3 weeks in a store bought cage kitchen with 4 girls. Super easy to clean and doesn't get everywhere like wood shavings.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
What brand pellets do you get a lowes? Thanks!

what about a 2x3 loft? that would be plenty big enough for a kitchen without making it too big for the shavings...also you might want to try the wood pellets I get mine from lowes and its $5.30 for a 40lb bag which lasts me 3 weeks in a store bought cage kitchen with 4 girls. Super easy to clean and doesn't get everywhere like wood shavings.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
@chas25, the question above is for you

chas25

Cavy Slave
Somerset wood fuel pellets.Doesnt say the brand on this link but I'm pretty sure they are the same (broken link removed)

Traysea

Cavy Slave
thanks! How do you know which are safe and which are dangerous?

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
They get cleaned out often. I have considered a 2X4 loft but I don't have enough room to offset it. I'm looking into litter box options as the Uhaul pad does not seem absorbent enough.

have you considered putting washable puppy pads under the uhaul pads? the absorb A LOT of fluid and also have a waterproof bottom layer so your coroplast wouldn't get soiled.
Here's two links for you, I have the EZwhelp ones and I facebookpage I am following (A Happy Cavy) recommended the Invacare ones to me tough I have not personally tried them yet.

From EZwhelp:
https://www.amazon.com/EZwhelp-Wash...eywords=ezwhelp+washable+whelping+&+puppy+pad

From Invacare:
(broken link removed)

aspecht

Cavy Slave
The ones I use do not have a strong pine smell and I do air them out still. Puppy pads are a bit too expensive for our budget right now. I handwash all of my fleece to save money! I use vinegar to soak it. Then I wash it with detergent and baking soda. Rinse, and then I was again with just the detergent to try to cut the smell. I think that adding a loft with bedding with help as they do seem to want to litter train. Niko and Moe were litter trained as far as peeing goes so I'm hoping that Gus and Moe just follow their lead.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I used to hand wash all my fleece but then I finally invested in a portable travel washer and spin dryer. So far it has been awesome. I got a Panda portable washer on ebay refurbished for $75 and $75 for a spin dryer (which is not a necessity but LOVE it and cuts down on air drying time a ton). It spins out like 90% of the water. Both of them are electric and plug into a regular outlet. I put them next to my kitchen sink and it is working out really well so far. I have done about 40 loads so far with them. The only down side is they are small so you might have to do two loads if your cage is big. I can do one cage per load with my chinchilla cage and my 2x3 guinea pig cage.

The ones I use do not have a strong pine smell and I do air them out still. Puppy pads are a bit too expensive for our budget right now. I handwash all of my fleece to save money! I use vinegar to soak it. Then I wash it with detergent and baking soda. Rinse, and then I was again with just the detergent to try to cut the smell. I think that adding a loft with bedding with help as they do seem to want to litter train. Niko and Moe were litter trained as far as peeing goes so I'm hoping that Gus and Moe just follow their lead.

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
why don't you try another option like paper bedding?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
why don't you try another option like paper bedding?

For what? I am quite satisfied with the fleece I currently have, and have no problems with the wood shavings in the kitchen area. My Uhaul isn't absorbent enough, but I feel that if I double it or put towels underneath I will be ok.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.