Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Baytril dose maybe too high?

mutte

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! :)
I just went to the vet today with my lovely guinea pig Beyla and found out that she has respiratory problems. The vet gave me: "Baytril mixt.25 mg/ml" of which I must give her 1,1 ml once a day for 8 days (by mouth with a syringe). Does anyone have experience with Baytril? Because I think that 1,1 ml a day is too much for my 930 g. guinea pig (...after I read others experiences with Baytril) :S I'm going to call my vet tomorrow to be sure that the dose is right for her, but what do you think? How much Baytril did you give your guinea pig (was it 100% Baytril or a mixture which I think mine is although I didn't see him mix anything(maybe it was already mixed hmm :S)) Thanks for your help :)

SORRY if my English sucks - it's not my mother language..

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's a range for dosing Baytril -- 2.5 mg. of Baytril per kilogram of pig every 12 hours. Your pig is very close to a kilogram, so we'll use that for the weight.

But I'm confused about what you typed. If "Baytril mixt.25 mg/ml" means that the period goes with mixt (mixt. is an abbreviation for mixture), then one ml. of the medication has 25 mg, which is a very strong preparation. If it means the mixture is .25 mg/ml, then one ml. has .25 mg., which is a very very low dose. So we can't really tell whether the dose is too high or too low -- it's one or the other, we just don't know which. Take a look at the bottle again, and if you can't figure it out from the label, call the vet and ask.

You can't just look at how much of a medicine you're giving. If it's a weak mixture, you have to give a lot to get an adequate dose. If it's very strong, only a little.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
not sure the wieght of my guinea but I have an old bottle Baytril 100 mg/ml give 0.1 cc twice a day for 14 days no sure not sure her wieght but she was 5 years old

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.