Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty whitish dishcharge under eye and greenish poop

guineagirl7

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I was wondering if this should be something I should be worried about and het our girl to a vet. They had a bath today and I noticed as I was drying one f our female guineas off that she had a whitish liquid under her eye. My daughter said she noticed it a few days ago as well. Also when she just pooped after the bath it was a bit green looking instead of black? If I do need to take her in do most vets know how to care for guinea pigs or do I need to specifically find one that specializes in small animals as well?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
The whitish liquid around the eye is most likely just cleaning solution. They use it to groom themselves.

As for the vet, yes find one that is a small exotics vet. Not all vets are trained (or trained very little) in guinea pig care.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto CavyMama about the cleaning solution. And the greenish tint to the poop means it's probably one of her cecotropes that she normally eats rather than just a regular poop pellet.

I doubt this needs a vet visit, but do keep an eye on her and make sure she's eating/drinking/peeing/pooping normally. But yes, you definitely need a vet that specializes in exotic vets -- most dog and cat vets are woefully ignorant about guinea pigs, and we've seen many a mistreated pig on these forums who've been to a "regular" vet.

guineagirl7

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much CavyMama:)

guineagirl7

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much bpatters:) She is definitely eating, peeing , pooping fine:) I looked up the white liquid on the web and yea I guess it is just her eye "milk" Thank you for all the info to both people who responded. I will definitely try to find a good vet in our area who specializes in exotics:)

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My girl had excessive white fluid in her eye. I took her to her vet and it turned out she had conjunctivitis (pink eye) probably caused by a hay poke. A week of eye drops cleared it up. Definitely keep an eye on it. It was on and off with her and when I saw it was causing a sticky eye one day I decided not to chance it.

bruna

Cavy Slave
This was helpful! I've noticed Coralee has this white discharge and came here to research what it could be. I'm glad to know its normal (I have never noticed it on my other girl Gina - do you guys think it can be related to the color of the eye? Gina has red eyes.)

Attachments

image.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.