Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection How do you prevent UTIs and how can you tell if your pig has one?

Guinsisters

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,
I was looking on guimea lynx and found the article about UTIs. I was wondering what ways are there to prevent this and how do you tell if your guinea pig has one? Are there any types of food that can cause this? What are UTIs caused by? How serious are they? I was just wondering because I thought it sounded pretty horrible but I've never really read about it before and I don't really want my piggies getting it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
About the only thing you can do to prevent a UTI is to keep the cage clean so there's little danger of bacteria getting into the urethra and moving up into the bladder. If you've got a male, particularly an older one, keeping his sac cleaned out may also help.

For all pigs, you should be concerned about the level of calcium in the diet. Excess urinary calcium can lead to sludge and/or stones, and either of those can irritate the bladder and make it more susceptible to infection.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.