PDA

View Full Version : Bird Toys?

Myspoiltpiggies
08-30-05, 05:46 am
I know you can give the guinea pigs bird toys to play with. Well I was thinking of getting some for my future cages. Are ALL bird toys safe? Most are made with painted wood. I just want to make sure that that is safe.

pennick
08-30-05, 07:43 am
Yes they are safe. Be careful about any kind of toy that may come apart and your piggy may swallow. Have read some posts where a piggy chewed on some toys and a bell or a small ball came loose and could have been swallowed. So look at the toy from all angles and make sure that there are no little pieces that could be harmful.

Funnygpigs
08-30-05, 10:32 am
Yeah, I had a bird toy in their cage that had small plastic peices. I took it out because I noticed the strings getting nawed loose. I am sticking with the died wood blocks w/larg bells. You can remove the bell off of the toy to make it safer. Mine like to chew on the wood. :0)

stitsy&codyPig
08-30-05, 10:35 am
I have never used a bird toy for my piggy but he has a critter kabob and he loves it! My rat has bird toys and bird ladders and he also loves them!

kimberly78
08-30-05, 11:33 am
bird toys are safe, stick to wood. Plastic pieces can be swallowed and latex toys can be toxic if injested.

Myspoiltpiggies
08-30-05, 02:19 pm
ok thanks for the help everyone. I was particularly wanting to get one with a mirror or a bell but they are probably the most dangerous so I may just sticked to wood:cheerful:

Ly&Pigs
08-30-05, 11:02 pm
I personally have some plastic bird toys in the pigs cages. They play with them but haven't ever tried to eat them. It depends on your pigs, if they aren't big chewers then you can try the plastic ones, if they are chewers then avoid the plastic ones.

Myspoiltpiggies
08-31-05, 01:33 am
Okay well all the boys are chewers but the girls never chew so that's easy:) I have seen some toys with big bits of plastic on them which look pretty safe.