Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi everyone!

• Thread starter guinea penguins
  • Start date

guinea penguins

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I'd like to introduce you to my family! There's myself and Mr. Penguin, and our two lovely girls, Izzy and Zoey. Mr. Penguin and I decided we wanted a pet, but weren't allowed cats or dogs in our rental house. Our very sweet landlord had no objection to piggies, after we showed her some info from this site (and a few others). So, after much searching for adoptables in our area, and finding none, we went to a local independent pet store and picked out our two girls (I fell in love with Izzy at first site, so we had to pick a girl to go with her!) about 9 weeks old. That was about a month ago, and until a week or two ago, our biggest problem was that Mr. Penguin is HORRIBLY allergic to pigs! We compensate by running some high powered air purifiers at all times, using fleece instead of bedding, and making sure the cage is clean, clean clean! This all of course ends up being my job, as the non-allergic one, but I don't mind. Mr. Penguin also wears long socks on his hands when we have laptime, its very cute.

I say this WAS our biggest problem, because about two weeks ago, we noticed Zoey looked a little... rounder. She was also very irritable towards Izzy- she wouldn't let her share their house! Because of my research, I was afraid she was pregnant, so I took them back to the pet store for a diagnosis. Sure enough, Zoey is pregnant!

I took them both to the vet for Zoey's maternity checkup, and to get some info. While we were there, he decided to double check Izzy's sex (yep, its a girl) and double check she wasn't pregnant, also. Guess what! That's right, two pregnant girls. He did an ultrasound, and it was pretty neat to see those little blobs in there. Zoey will be having 3-4, and Izzy only 1-2 (which is why we didn't notice with her).

I did some math, and our girls could pop anytime between now and October, but I think it might be getting closer. I think I can hear the babies teeth gnashing when I hold Zoey, though Izzy won't hold still long enough for me to listen.

We're all baby-proofed and ready, including having a back up small cage for any boy babies we might have to separate while we look for new homes for the children.

Both girls have been pretty snippy with each other the more pregnant they get. Is this something that will resolve itself after they give birth?
Also, they don't seem to be gaining weight very fast. They're only at about 650 and 625g each - if they're going to have babies, they'll lose so much weight it can't be healthy. I'm very worried about their being not full grown yet, themselves.

Thanks to you all. This site has been so useful!
p.s. Zoey is the white and cream one, Izzy is the tri-color.

2x3 c and c cage.jpgZoey and Izzy.jpg

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Your piggies are so cute! :)

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum and your piggies are adorable!

ShadeyPig

Cavy Slave
Hi love your piggy pics :) I have no idea about pregnant sows but wishing you all the best for safe deliverys and healthy babies. What did the petshop owners say about selling you pregnant pigs?

guinea penguins

Cavy Slave
@ShadeyPig, they didn't seem to think this was strange at all. I'm guessing all the girls they have end up pregnant, because they all are housed together! They offered to buy the pups back, of course, but I certainly don't think I want to do that! Hopefully we'll find good homes for them all!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Please explain "Mr. Penguin." Is that a pet name? Welcome.. :)

guinea penguins

Cavy Slave
:) It is a pet name. Its what I use for him when I refer to him online instead of repeating "My husband" over and over! We got a pair of happy-meal penguins when we were first dating, and used to send each other pictures of them in funny settings. Ever since, we've been penguin crazy! Now guinea crazy, too!

pinky

Cavy Slave
:) It is a pet name. Its what I use for him when I refer to him online instead of repeating "My husband" over and over! We got a pair of happy-meal penguins when we were first dating, and used to send each other pictures of them in funny settings. Ever since, we've been penguin crazy! Now guinea crazy, too!

My daughter LOVES penguins, too. She recently got married and got rid of lots of her penguin stuff because there was way too much to take with her. I think the cutest penguin thing she has is a huge king penguin cookie jar. She took that with her...

guinea penguins

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc, thanks so much for the tip! We will try bluegrass, because he is definitely allergic to the hay, but he is also allergic to just them and gets itchy from touching them if he doesn't wash after!

[MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] that's so cute! Too bad she had to get rid of some, but I'll bet she collects more in the future! Our problem now is everyone wants to give us penguin gifts!

guinea penguins

Cavy Slave
@spydoc, where do you buy yours?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.