PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Member seeking a different kind of cavy advice....

Marie White
08-29-13, 09:13 am
Hey all,
thanks for taking a moment to read this post...well I'm MJ and I have four guinea pigs, I have been a cavy slave for 5 years now and I have a problem, and hoping people on here can help.

for the last two years I have battled and still suffering with manic depression, anxiety and bulimia, as a result, I have lost the bond I once shared with my guineas. the sad fact is with depression being an illness you do lose interest in the things you love the most. Including my fur babies. its not that I don't love them or care about them anymore because I do a lot and am trying so hard to have the same bond as we once shared but its such a strain and struggle.

in the last three months I have rehomed several guineas, my rabbits and hamsters because I cannot feel the love I once did for them :'( trust me I hate it. I managed to keep my three girls Rosie, Starbucks and Squeaky Choo but I've noticed again I don't feel the same about them as I once did. I feel awful and am on the verge of letting them go too, but I really don't want to. The other day I found a baby guinea pig abandon by our local canal, she must be about 4 weeks old but again, I cannot feel a love or passion for her, despite being dumped. I have kept her for now but I need your help. What can I do to rekindle my passion for my guineas? I do love them so so much and I was heart broken to let my boys go.

HELP!!

NormaS
08-29-13, 09:48 am
Hang in there and fake it until you make it. It's normal not to feel passion when you are depressed. I know! My fibromyalgia comes with depression as a major component and there've been days I've wanted to get rid of my dog and my piggies. But then I realize that they are the only thing making me get out of bed every day and giving me love and companionship selflessly and I go and cuddle the boys and play with the dog. Pets make depression a lot more bearable. Just keep the number of pets low so you can take car of them properly.

Marie White
08-29-13, 10:03 am
Thanks, I'm trying. I have the four pigs and three cats who I do love a lot but sometimes its a bit of a struggle and I feel selfish keeping them to make me feel better but not giving them my 100% attention. I do look after them, but I don't enjoy it anymore :sad:

pinky
08-29-13, 10:09 am
Marie, I'm so sorry about the struggles you're experiencing. I hope you're under the care of a doctor who might be able to prescribe meds to help ease some of the pain you're experiencing. Don't give up on your guinea pigs. Treat them as a responsibility and set a schedule to take care of their needs. Even if you don't feel like it or want to, schedule lap time, hold and pet them. I've found that when my kids were very distressed or under a lot of stress, just petting them was calming. They've always been a stress buster for me, too. Please feel free to post on here if you need to vent or just want someone to listen. I know that there are a lot of people on here, including myself, who care.

Marie White
08-29-13, 10:21 am
Marie, I'm so sorry about the struggles you're experiencing. I hope you're under the care of a doctor who might be able to prescribe meds to help ease some of the pain you're experiencing. Don't give up on your guinea pigs. Treat them as a responsibility and set a schedule to take care of their needs. Even if you don't feel like it or want to, schedule lap time, hold and pet them. I've found that when my kids were very distressed or under a lot of stress, just petting them was calming. They've always been a stress buster for me, too. Please feel free to post on here if you need to vent or just want someone to listen. I know that there are a lot of people on here, including myself, who care.

Thanks, that alone means a lot. I am with a doctor have meds and a counsellor, getting there very very slowly. I will plan lap time as I seem to have cut that out fully over the last few months. find it hard to be around the pigs which sounds so so alwful. I don't want to quit o0n them, as I do love them so much

pinky
08-29-13, 02:12 pm
Thanks, that alone means a lot. I am with a doctor have meds and a counsellor, getting there very very slowly. I will plan lap time as I seem to have cut that out fully over the last few months. find it hard to be around the pigs which sounds so so alwful. I don't want to quit o0n them, as I do love them so much

I can tell you really care about them. Just remember, you're among friends here.....

Cometandkuza
08-29-13, 02:50 pm
I'm so sorry to hear your going through these struggles! though I don't suffer from depression I suffer from Anxiety and have people very close to me that suffer from depression. for me, my anxiety will rise and I will get worked up or begin to over think about my guinea pigs. I worry I'm not giving them my 100% or not providing them with everything they need (though i know I do) This sounds alot like how you feel your not giving you guinea pigs 100%. The most important thing you can do for any of your animals, is give them your love. And if your depression is getting in the way of that, I think you have been making the right choices about re-homing them. As sad as that is, depression does take away joy from activities you once loved (like taking care of your piggies) If the mediccation your on is working, your joy for things should start to return tho, maybe you could think about finding temporary homes for them, untill your medication has fully kicked in. But I think your doing an amazing job trying to cope, and i wish you the best of luck!

Marie White
08-30-13, 12:52 am
I'm so sorry to hear your going through these struggles! though I don't suffer from depression I suffer from Anxiety and have people very close to me that suffer from depression. for me, my anxiety will rise and I will get worked up or begin to over think about my guinea pigs. I worry I'm not giving them my 100% or not providing them with everything they need (though i know I do) This sounds alot like how you feel your not giving you guinea pigs 100%. The most important thing you can do for any of your animals, is give them your love. And if your depression is getting in the way of that, I think you have been making the right choices about re-homing them. As sad as that is, depression does take away joy from activities you once loved (like taking care of your piggies) If the mediccation your on is working, your joy for things should start to return tho, maybe you could think about finding temporary homes for them, untill your medication has fully kicked in. But I think your doing an amazing job trying to cope, and i wish you the best of luck!

Thank you. I have thought about a temporary home for them but I don't have piggy loving friends. my nana said she'd take them but she's 80 and I can imagine four guinea pigs being a bit of a handful. I've had a think and started cleaning out the spare room next door to my bedroom and going to bring the pigs inside so maybe it will encourage me to go be with them more often, get them out and have lap time, we've moved in an old arm chair and I've set up their old c&c cage with fleece so fingers crossed, this may work..... :D

chas25
08-30-13, 01:15 am
I am Bi-Polar so I understand what you're going through. For me to peak my interest again it helps to make or buy something new for my animals. Of course that can be expensive if you're not careful.

Marie White
08-30-13, 01:53 am
I am Bi-Polar so I understand what you're going through. For me to peak my interest again it helps to make or buy something new for my animals. Of course that can be expensive if you're not careful.

that is a really good idea. as i write this i do have my piggy rosie on my lap. must be the first time in months shes had lap time...:sad: poor baby

chas25
08-30-13, 02:57 am
Yea its especially good for me as I enjoy crafting, sewing, & painting. If you are any kind of crafty person Pinterest is a world of ideas just type in guinea pig DIY and there are all kinds of toy ideas, fleece tunnels, ect.

Marie White
08-30-13, 03:10 am
yes i am. i used to run my own animal based craft company but had to put that on hold because of everything.

www.facebook.com/katkrafts525

chas25
08-30-13, 03:28 am
thats awesome! I hope you can get back into it. I was on meds for a year then about six months after I started dating my boyfriend I took myself off and have managed without them but it does get tough some days. I'm pretty sure if I broke up with him I'd have to get back on meds which I don't want to do but for now a little pick-me-up shopping trip does the trick...I usually try to keep to clearance racks and goodwill though haha

Marie White
08-30-13, 10:09 am
:D I get anxiety leaving the house so going out is kind of a battle but i'll get there :d been on the meds now for 5 months and they are working but obviously I still get the down days and have to cope with the anxiety. the guineas are moving back into the house soon, so fingers crossed that's going to work xx