Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

multiple layer bedding system

N

nbreaux

multiple layer bedding system

I replied with this suggestion to another thread, but thought to repost the idea as a new thread. Like many others, I found other bedding systems expensive, while still having problems with wetness, poop, and odor control. I am now using the following multilayer system:

1. Generous layer of newspaper. I am currently using 8-10 sheets.
2. Two layers of disposable shop towels. These are currently under $2 a roll, and it takes 1/3 of a roll to make one layer for a 5 x 2 C&C type cage.
3. Thin layer of aspen for odor control. I use 1200 cu in of aspen to form a layer that is less than an inch thick.
4. Generous layer of shredded, unprinted newsprint. I use an inexpensive strip-cut shredder, and have just ordered 50 lbs of unprinted sheets of newsprint on-line. You can also get it at packaging stores and moving companies. You can use regular newspaper if you like, but I was worried about the contact with the ink.

I change the bedding twice a week, and do no daily spot cleaning. Before, I had trouble with cost (Carefresh was too expensive), poop and litter flying out of the cage, and odor. I found that the worst odor was caused by the combination of pee and poop. With this system, the pee gets absorbed by the newspaper and shop towels, the poop stays away from the pee on top of the layer of aspen, there is just enough aspen for odor control, and the shredded newsprint keeps litter and poop from flying out of the cage while at the same time protecting the piggies' feet from having contact with the poop and aspen. Cleanup is a snap: All the layers put together are sufficiently thin that it is easy to roll the whole thing up within the cage, turn the roll 90 degrees, and stuff it into a large trash bag.

The basic idea is to let the lower cost newspaper and shop towels make up for the higher cost aspen in terms of absorbing moisture.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.